New Donkey Kong Easet Egg discovered for the Atari 400/800

Have an Atari 800? A Commordore 64? An Amiga? Talk about it in here
Zap!
Zap! Commander

New Donkey Kong Easet Egg discovered for the Atari 400/800

Post by Zap! »

n 1983, the arcade smash hit Donkey Kong was ported to the Atari 400/800 home computer systems by Landon Dyer. It was at the time the best home computer/console port for this game.

Mr. Dyer, in between pulling his hair out while working on this game, included what is known as an "Easter Egg" in the game's code. If a certain sequence of moves or scores were done correctly, the designer's initials would appear somewhere on the screen. He writes on his blog, "There’s an easter egg, but it’s totally not worth it, and I don’t remember how to bring it up anyway (something like: Die on the ’sandpile’ level with 3 lives and the score over 7,000)."

The Digital Press web site has a whole section dedicated to Easter eggs, and they are even offering cash rewards to those who can find out how to trigger them. Even Landon Dyer himself did not remember how to trigger this Easter egg in Donkey Kong for the Atari home computers. It was suggested on the Digital Press site that the initials would appear in the bonus score box.

26 years later, I am pleased to announce that I have discovered the way to trigger this long lost Easter egg. Here is how to do it:
http://home.pacbell.net/fantomdj/dk/don ... er_egg.htm
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Rob

Re: New Donkey Kong Easet Egg discovered for the Atari 400/800

Post by Rob »

Awesome. :donkeykong_beatingchest: