Another Classic gaming site - COOL!

Introduce yourself to the world, and explain your video gaming story

Moderators: Rob, Carlos, Darryl B.

MaximumRD

Another Classic gaming site - COOL!

Post by MaximumRD »

Hello, I caught your post over at DP and well, came over to check things out and give my support. My name is Rob D and I am a 40yr. old living in British Columbia CANADA so yeah you could definitely say I am old school LOL! Well, I was actually just winding up a game of Silent Hill 5 Homecoming on my PC so obviously I like modern gaming to especially on this desktop I built but as far as console I have yet to bother with any of the "current" systems as I am happy to fire up one of my older consoles if I feel the need, my newest consoles would be PS2/Original Xbox. As far as older consoles though I have many such as 3D0/Sega Saturn Sears Video Arcade II/Colecovision to name just a few. Classic gaming is my biggest hobby and pastime though to the extent that I have dedicated a Facebook Group and Youtube Channel to showcase my retro gaming/computing passions. If your so inclined just search Facebbok or Youtube for MaximumRD and see if my content interests you. In the meantime I am going to check out the rest of THIS site, again always great to see a new site for us old gamers to hangout on, looking forward to meeting you all and seeing this site grow! :luigi: :mario:
Oldshool gaming, some people will never "Get it"
Check out my Classic Gaming Videos: RATE ! COMMENT!
http://ca.youtube.com/user/MaximumRD

Rob

Re: Another Classic gaming site - COOL!

Post by Rob »

Same here as far as consoles- I have a PS2 and an X-Box, but nothing from the new gens. I bought an X-Box as they were announcing its death, and the PS2 I bought when they first introduced the slim model. I wait for a library of decent games to emerge before I buy a console, sometimes it takes the entire life span of that console to get me interested. :mrgreen:

MaximumRD

Post by MaximumRD »

Yeah I can relate. I sure wasn't about to drop $$$$$$$$ when PS3 came out. I too like to wait until a varied library oftitles appears. Then I am like, well why would I by a PS3 when for the same price I can get a PS2 with TONS of games and accessories? When I want "next Gen" games I just use my PC. Lastly, the current gen of consoles have really lost there charm for me, just to PC like, I want to to update, patch and fix games or load them to a hard drive I will just use a PC thank you very much, modern consoles have lost everything that seperated them from PC's. Anyway, it's all good, I have literally hundreds of games to play in the meantime.

Jakenut86

Post by Jakenut86 »

I really don't like newer consoles (had a 360 but it got RROD, and also have a Wii), I'll take my 2600 and Jag over any new system out there :) Game designers these days seem to be more about graphics than gameplay. And I like the gameplay on the Wii but there just seems to be alot of trash games coming out for it. Another issue with current gen consoles is they are just not as sturdy as the consoles that were around when we were all kids (360 - Breaks after 2 1/2 years and Jag/2600 - Still going strong after 10+ years :) ) So I definitely also really like the classic gaming consoles much better than current ones.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I hear ya man. I got a Wii and I own and play more Virtual Console games on it than actual Wii games.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

MaximumRD wrote:Hello, I caught your post over at DP and well, came over to check things out and give my support. My name is Rob D and I am a 40yr. old living in British Columbia CANADA so yeah you could definitely say I am old school LOL! Well, I was actually just winding up a game of Silent Hill 5 Homecoming on my PC so obviously I like modern gaming to especially on this desktop I built but as far as console I have yet to bother with any of the "current" systems as I am happy to fire up one of my older consoles if I feel the need, my newest consoles would be PS2/Original Xbox. As far as older consoles though I have many such as 3D0/Sega Saturn Sears Video Arcade II/Colecovision to name just a few. Classic gaming is my biggest hobby and pastime though to the extent that I have dedicated a Facebook Group and Youtube Channel to showcase my retro gaming/computing passions. If your so inclined just search Facebbok or Youtube for MaximumRD and see if my content interests you. In the meantime I am going to check out the rest of THIS site, again always great to see a new site for us old gamers to hangout on, looking forward to meeting you all and seeing this site grow! :luigi: :mario:
Welcome and thanks for the kind words! Being 40, were you into Pong systems in the 70's? I didn't get into gaming until 1979, so I missed out on quite a bit from that time.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

SegaBoy wrote:I hear ya man. I got a Wii and I own and play more Virtual Console games on it than actual Wii games.
When are they gonna bring the 2600 to the VC? Maybe a pack of games for $10, that would be great.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Ter Micharoni wrote:
SegaBoy wrote:I hear ya man. I got a Wii and I own and play more Virtual Console games on it than actual Wii games.
When are they gonna bring the 2600 to the VC? Maybe a pack of games for $10, that would be great.
That would be cool. I know in Europe they have Commodore 64 on the Wii. Why not bring that over? I'd like to see more Sega systems as well.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

SegaBoy wrote:
Ter Micharoni wrote:
That would be cool. I know in Europe they have Commodore 64 on the Wii. Why not bring that over? I'd like to see more Sega systems as well.
Some of the more obscure systems and games would be nice. At the very least, it gives kids a history lesson.

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Yea, kids today have no idea what they're missing/missed. I try to get my nephew into the classics but he'd rather play Call of Duty and that "other good war game" on his 360 *shakes head*

Jakenut86

Post by Jakenut86 »

SegaBoy wrote:
Ter Micharoni wrote:
I'd love to be able to play 2600 games on my Wii :) And Europe gets C64?? No fair :(
_________________________________________________________________________________

Rob

Post by Rob »

Rob, I just subscribed to your YT channel. :bananna:

MaximumRD

Post by MaximumRD »

Rob wrote:Rob, I just subscribed to your YT channel. :bananna:
Thank you, much appreciated! I hope to provide much more interesting content coming....and hey, I like your avatar................

MaximumRD

Post by MaximumRD »

Ter wrote:Welcome and thanks for the kind words! Being 40, were you into Pong systems in the 70's? I didn't get into gaming until 1979, so I missed out on quite a bit from that time.
My earliest gaming memories involed some pre 2600 systems. Definitly a unit that I THINK was by Coleco, tri-angualar in shape each side was for different things, pong type game one side, racing game on another and shooting games on the third, of course it had black and white pong type graphics. Also I remember Commodore Vic20 before my C64, a handheld by TOMY that was a racing game made up of cars printed on a transparent conveyer belt that would scroll upward the screen as opposing cars scrolled down for you to avoid, making contact a load crash sound and a red led would light up (sorry for the poor description) man I played that for ever............well until I took it apart LOL! Also I had most of the Coleco Table top miniature arcade games. Also remember seeing a Commodore Amiga 1000 at a freinds house and give all my loyalties to Commodore at that moment HAH HAH! Yeah, I been around for sure. My absolute best and fondest memory was a Christmas opening a massive Colecovision collection :shock: , system, several games, my god I was in heaven! Oh yeah also remmeber using the original commodore PET computers in school.....................................

Rob

Post by Rob »

Definitly a unit that I THINK was by Coleco, tri-angualar in shape each side was for different things, pong type game one side, racing game on another and shooting games on the third, of course it had black and white pong type graphics.
The Coleco Telstar Arcade, most assuredly. I had one but the light gun never worked! :evil:

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

MaximumRD wrote:
Ter wrote:Welcome and thanks for the kind words! Being 40, were you into Pong systems in the 70's? I didn't get into gaming until 1979, so I missed out on quite a bit from that time.
My earliest gaming memories involed some pre 2600 systems. Definitly a unit that I THINK was by Coleco, tri-angualar in shape each side was for different things, pong type game one side, racing game on another and shooting games on the third, of course it had black and white pong type graphics. Also I remember Commodore Vic20 before my C64, a handheld by TOMY that was a racing game made up of cars printed on a transparent conveyer belt that would scroll upward the screen as opposing cars scrolled down for you to avoid, making contact a load crash sound and a red led would light up (sorry for the poor description) man I played that for ever............well until I took it apart LOL! Also I had most of the Coleco Table top miniature arcade games. Also remember seeing a Commodore Amiga 1000 at a freinds house and give all my loyalties to Commodore at that moment HAH HAH! Yeah, I been around for sure. My absolute best and fondest memory was a Christmas opening a massive Colecovision collection :shock: , system, several games, my god I was in heaven! Oh yeah also remmeber using the original commodore PET computers in school.....................................
I had that Tomy game! I must have been 3 or 4 when I got it. It's called Digital Derby. I took it apart too! :)

MaximumRD

Post by MaximumRD »

Rob wrote:
Definitly a unit that I THINK was by Coleco, tri-angualar in shape each side was for different things, pong type game one side, racing game on another and shooting games on the third, of course it had black and white pong type graphics.
The Coleco Telstar Arcade, most assuredly. I had one but the light gun never worked! :evil:
Yes! That is exactly it thanks!

MaximumRD

Post by MaximumRD »

I had that Tomy game! I must have been 3 or 4 when I got it. It's called Digital Derby. I took it apart too! :)

Yes YES! That and Park Bros Wildfire Pinball, 2 of my fav classic handhelds by far!

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

I had the Digital Derby too :)
Jakenut86 wrote:(360 - Breaks after 2 1/2 years and Jag/2600 - Still going strong after 10+ years :) )
They didn't have discs that scratch easily either, any system with those (1990s and on, maybe a little before) just aren't going to last.

Anyway, I got my Atari 7800 in '88, never stopped working, although it's had a few years where it didn't get played. Same with my Vectrex, in '84. Genesis, 32X, and CD all work too, although those are obviously a bit newer, but aging just the same :)
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi