Good games for Sega Master System?

1985-1989 gave us the Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Master System, Atari 7800, XE Game System, etc. Great times indeed.

Moderators: megasdkirby, Carlos

Carlos

Good games for Sega Master System?

Post by Carlos »

I'm looking into possibly getting a SMS in the next couple of days, but is there really anything good and worth playing besides Phantasy Star?

Darryl B.

Re: Good games for Sega Master System?

Post by Darryl B. »

Global Defense is good, although short. Think the Sonic the Hedgehog ones are too, the guy I bought mine from didn't have those, so I haven't played them.

Zillion's a good shooter/somewhat puzzle game, although also short. Some of the Alex Kid games are good too, as well as Shinobi and Ys. Golvellius (sp?) isn't a bad action RPG either.
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Darryl B. wrote:Global Defense is good, although short. Think the Sonic the Hedgehog ones are too, the guy I bought mine from didn't have those, so I haven't played them.

Zillion's a good shooter/somewhat puzzle game, although also short. Some of the Alex Kid games are good too, as well as Shinobi and Ys. Golvellius (sp?) isn't a bad action RPG either.
SMS has a Ys game?

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

Yeah, just the first one, the Vanished Omens. Not bad, but also not a real long-playing game, although you do have to map out one area.

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I'll definitely have to look into that.

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

Outrun, Space Harrier and Hang-on are really nice arcade ports. I thought Black Belt was a good game (if your liked Kung Fu on the NES you'd like this). Quartet is a very good side scroller (and my personal fav.) Rambo: First Blood is an extremely difficult game single player, but playing along with 2 players gives you the option to continue a few times and is enjoyable.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

Ahhh, forgot about Quartet, I second that opinion as to it being a good game ;)

gamemaster

Post by gamemaster »

There alot of SMS games in the UK that never made it over the USA i have every USA game and 45+ game from the UK here a link to all 346 game made and thay tell you about each game too
http://alexkidd.com/

megasdkirby

Post by megasdkirby »

There are lots of great SMS games you can get, though some can be a little expensive to acquire.

Wonderboy III
Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Rastan
R-Type
Castle of Illusion
Sonic
Golden Axe Warrior
Golvellious
Y's
Shinobi

There are plenty more awesome games, as well as UK games.

If you plan on acquiring a complete US set, be prepared to pay a pretty penny for certain titles, like Sonic with UPC... I'm still searching for that AND at least the BOX to Strider w/UPC...

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

megasdkirby wrote:There are lots of great SMS games you can get, though some can be a little expensive to acquire.

Wonderboy III
Rastan
R-Type
Castle of Illusion
Sonic
Golden Axe Warrior
Golvellious
Y's
Shinobi

If you plan on acquiring a complete US set, be prepared to pay a pretty penny for certain titles, like Sonic with UPC... I'm still searching for that AND at least the BOX to Strider w/UPC...
I don't see Phantasy Star or Miracle Warriors on that list, blasphemy! :kirby_fire:
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Rob

Post by Rob »

The Ninja
Shinobi
Paperboy
Double Dragon
Psycho Fox

And yes, some of the best games for the system never came out here. Games like Cyber Shinobi, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Ghost House, Ninja Gaiden, and more.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Rob wrote:The Ninja
Shinobi
Paperboy
Double Dragon
Psycho Fox

And yes, some of the best games for the system never came out here. Games like Cyber Shinobi, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Ghost House, Ninja Gaiden, and more.
What do you mean Ghost House never came out here? It was the first game I bought for the SMS (after returning Teddy Boy) for the SMS.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Rob

Post by Rob »

My bad. I meant to have it on the first list.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Rob wrote:My bad. I meant to have it on the first list.
Is there an ending to that game? I know when you beat it once it gets harder.

Rob

Post by Rob »

I never got that far, so I have no idea.

megasdkirby

Post by megasdkirby »

Ter wrote:
megasdkirby wrote:There are lots of great SMS games you can get, though some can be a little expensive to acquire.

Wonderboy III
Rastan
R-Type
Castle of Illusion
Sonic
Golden Axe Warrior
Golvellious
Y's
Shinobi

I don't see Phantasy Star or Miracle Warriors on that list, blasphemy! :kirby_fire:
OMG...Ter, that was your first SMS game!?

OURS TOO!!!!!

I remember when Dom showed me Ghost House...after playing Hang On/Safari Hunt a zillion times a day, I loved playing this game! Super hard too, but I did manage to beat it. It was purchased in a now defunct toy store near where I currently work. Good times.... :)

And yeah, I did forget those games. :) Phantasy Star was wicked awesome, even now. I also liked Miracle Warriors too, but the game got me mad several times. Still managed to beat it. :)

Rob

Post by Rob »

You guys were lucky. Ghost House was one I missed out on as a kid, and didn't acquire until early adulthood. I would have played the pure crap out of it otherwise.

megasdkirby

Post by megasdkirby »

Rob wrote:You guys were lucky. Ghost House was one I missed out on as a kid, and didn't acquire until early adulthood. I would have played the pure crap out of it otherwise.
It's well worth it!

It might be a tad hard at first, but it's really a great game overall. There are only six rounds, but the first three levels repeat as rounds 4-6...but they are MUCH harder!

The problem with the later levels is how Dracula attacks the protagonist...it seems as though he really doesn't stand a chance. Yet it IS possible to beat the game, but using carefully planned strategy. Otherwise, it can't be done.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

megasdkirby wrote:OMG...Ter, that was your first SMS game!?

OURS TOO!!!!!

I remember when Dom showed me Ghost House...after playing Hang On/Safari Hunt a zillion times a day, I loved playing this game! Super hard too, but I did manage to beat it. It was purchased in a now defunct toy store near where I currently work. Good times.... :)

And yeah, I did forget those games. :) Phantasy Star was wicked awesome, even now. I also liked Miracle Warriors too, but the game got me mad several times. Still managed to beat it. :)
Yeah, I think the reason it was my first game is because in April 1987 my mom didn't want to spend much money and told me to get a Sega card game, as the cards were cheaper. I first picked Teddy Boy. I didn't like it and returned it for Ghost House. Teddy Boy I picked up because when I was very young, my first nick name was Terry Boy. :D The only other SMS game I ever returned was another early one, My Hero.

megasdkirby

Post by megasdkirby »

Ter wrote:Yeah, I think the reason it was my first game is because in April 1987 my mom didn't want to spend much money and told me to get a Sega card game, as the cards were cheaper. I first picked Teddy Boy. I didn't like it and returned it for Ghost House. Teddy Boy I picked up because when I was very young, my first nick name was Terry Boy. :D The only other SMS game I ever returned was another early one, My Hero.
Ironically, I can't stand My Hero either. Dom got it at Professional Video Club (not defunct) and I remember when we first played it...having such a short range of attack made the game unbearable for both of us. I remember thinking it was a "shitty version of Kung Fu Master". Eventually, we managed to figure out that jump kicking was the best way to go, but by that time it was already universally hated.

I also hated most Sega Card games, with the exception of Ghost House and Transbot. The others were sucky, IMO.

One game I enjoyed was Alex Kidd in the Lost Stars. Sure, the game was not like Miracle World, but it was still pretty fun, though repetitive. And Opa Opa making a chameo was awesome. :)

One game I really enjoyed was Zillion. Gave me hours of great fun.