Genesis or SNES guy

From 1989-1993, the 16-bit revolution was in full swing, with the Sega Genesis, NEC Turbo Grafx 16, Super Nintendo, and SNK Neo-Geo (self-proclaimed 24-bit)

Moderators: megasdkirby, Rob, Carlos

TwinChargers

Genesis or SNES guy

Post by TwinChargers »

Back in the day, you were usually a supporter of one or the other system. Which one were you?

I was a Genesis kid. I had an NES prior to it, but the Genesis just had more of an appeal to me. My next door neighbor had one also, which may have swayed my decision. I remember he had the model 2 genesis and I had the model one and I was envious of him cause his was the newer model. Now I know mine probably had the superior hardware.

I loved the Sonic games and racing titles exclusive to the Sega brand. The World Series baseball series was second to none at the time. I know that there were quite a few titles that were made for both systems, and its probably the fanboy in me that thinks most of them looked better on the Genesis. I still remember playing tons of NBA Jam, Madden and the NHL series of games. (Obviously I'm a big sports fan)

I suppose it really matters what kind of gamer you are. I know the SNES was superior in the making of RPG's, and they too had exclusives like Mario, Zelda and so many others that are still around today. So, which side where you on?
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Jakenut86

Re: Genesis or SNES guy

Post by Jakenut86 »

I loved the Genesis! Sonic, Toe Jam & Earl, Zombies Ate My Nieghbors, and Gunstar Heroes are the games I remember playing the most. I also had SNES but never really got into it as much. I guess probably because I had the Genesis first and already had a bunch of games for it.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

In the 16-bit era, I was a huge fan of both, and eventually had both systems.

Genesis had great sports tiltes like NHL, Madden, Sports Talk, and Mutant League. I believe they had their fare share of RPGs to compete with SNES like the Phantasy Star series, Shining Force, and Shining in the Darkness. And games like Toejam & Earl, Gunstar Heroes, and of course, the Sonic series. Also, all the good shmups.

I loved my SNES. With games like Mario World :mario: , StarFox, Zelda, DK Country, and all the SquareSoft RPGs, it was a great system.

Both systems had great games to offer. I guess it just depended on what kind of games you were into. Me, I loved them both dearly, heh

Rob

Post by Rob »

I'd have to say that in the beginning I was a SNES guy all the way, laughing at the Genesis kids that had no Mario to play.

Then, Mortal Kombat happened.

All of the sudden I was making a mad grab for the Genesis. Sega had introduced the version 2 model, and it had an insanely low price of something like 49.99- one summer of cutting grass left me with enough loot to buy the console (bundled with Sonic 2), Mortal Kombat, Lethal Enforcers, an extra "Hotshot" style joystick controller (with turbo fire options), a Menacer, T2: The Arcade Game, and I think Splatterhouse 2.

The Genesis was the last console I purchased before my teen years kicked in, so I never really got to spend as much time on it as I would have liked. But I can definitely say that from that point on, I was a Sega Man all the way. The SNES was given to my nephew as I had deemed it a "kiddy" console. The Genesis was the "hardcore" system, similar to the way kids today view the 360 vs. the Wii.

Looking back on it now, it's hard to define where I stood on the whole Sega Vs. Nintendo thing. I think, in my heart of hearts, that I secretly loved the SNES but the Genesis was the system that the older kids played, so I tricked myself into liking it more than I probably did. I have many fond memories of playing the SNES, all the hours and hours spent beating certain titles and all the games I owned. I have far fewer memories of the Genesis, probably because I didn't play it as often. The games, for one thing, were hard to find for rental. I know of one video store that had a few old Genesis titles to rent, but none of them were really interesting. That's why I think I purchased so many Genesis titles- they were cheaper to buy than the SNES for one, and for two I couldn't rent them anywhere!

I'm going to bite the bullet and say I was a SNES guy. But I messed around on it with the Genesis, too!

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

I had both, but I mostly favored the SNES. Strange, because I strongly prefered the SMS over the NES.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

thom_m

Post by thom_m »

Oh, I was a Sega guy, all the way. It's funny to say that, since I liked my NES clone way better over the SMS, which kinda reigned supreme in Brazil. But the feud between the SNES and the Genesis (Mega Drive here) was far more proeminent, and that's when SEGA got me.

Back then, each system fanbase was sort of equal, as far as I recall. However, at one point, all the kids I hung out with prefered the SNES. Me, being the proud owner of a Mega Drive III (which is a model 2, since the model 1+sonic 2 bundle was labveled "Mega Drive II" here), liked it far better. It had the Sonic series. It had Mutant League Football. It had the bloody version of MK. It had Gunstar Heroes. It had - oh my God - Kid Chameleon. It was black and badass looking. I just loved (and still love) the damned thing.

Anyway, sometimes there were heated arguments between the Sega and Nintendo fans of the neighbourhood - the Sega team usually consisting only of me and a friend. I remember being involved in long debates about which controller was the best, which games were cooler, which console was stronger, and stuff like that. Oh, those were the days.

I own a SNES now, and have a lot of fun with it. But it's still my Mega Drive who gets true love. I played the Saturn only a couple of times, but liked it. My brother -in-law had a DC, and it was one hell of a cool machine. What else can I say? SEGA rocked - and it's really a shame they're not making consoles anymore. I always wonder what they could've accomplished today.
Last edited by thom_m on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------------------
Blowing on cartridges since 1987

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Yea, I wish the Saturn and DC had the support here that they had in other countries.

Remember the Sega Neptune that combined the Genesis/Mega Drive with the 32X?

I remember when EGM had a report that Sega found a warehouse full of them and were selling them on a website, but when you went to the website, it turned out to be an April Fool's joke.

I wish they came out with it. I heard there were prototypes out and they were about to hit retail, about the same time the Saturn was due out so they scrapped it. :(

MaximumRD

Post by MaximumRD »

I honestly went back and forth, me and my bud Tony actually. We would each own the "other" console at any given time and I swear we both suffered from "the grass is always greener symptom" seriously, I was always interested in his games and system more than my own lol! Of course looking back I greatly enjoyed several titles on each but in the end if I had to choose I think I would go with SNES, I loved the big sprites and colours even if it didn't have BLAST PROCESSING...........
Oldshool gaming, some people will never "Get it"
Check out my Classic Gaming Videos: RATE ! COMMENT!
http://ca.youtube.com/user/MaximumRD

Jakenut86

Post by Jakenut86 »

Yeah I remember the Neptune, IIRC I saw were someone had a working prototype of it somewhere but it was a while ago and I can't remember where I had seen it.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

thom_m wrote:Oh, I was a Sega guy, all the way. It's funny to say that, since I liked my NES clone way better over the SMS, which kinda reigned supreme in Brazil. But the feud between the SNES and the Genesis (Mega Drive here) was far more proeminent, and that's when SEGA got me.

Back then, each system fanbase was sort of equal, as far as I recall. However, at one point, all the kids I hung out with prefered the SNES. Me, being the proud owner of a Mega Drive III (which is a model 2, since the model 1+sonic 2 bundle was labveled "Mega Drive II" here), liked it far better. It had the Sonic series. It had Mutant League Football. It had the bloody version of MK. It had Gunstar Heroes. It had - oh my God - Kid Chameleon. It was black and badass looking. I just loved (and still love) the damned thing.

Anyway, sometimes there were heated arguments between the Sega and Nintendo fans of the neighbourhood - the Sega team usually consisting only of me and a friend. I remember being involved in long debates about which controller was the best, which games were cooler, which console was stronger, and stuff like that. Oh, those were the days.

I own a SNES now, and have a lot of fun with it. But it's still my Mega Drive who gets true love. I played the Saturn only a couple of times, but liked it. My brother -in-law had a DC, and it was one hell of a cool machine. What else can I say? SEGA rocked - and it's really a shame they're not making consoles anymore. I always wonder what they could've accomplished today.
I think with me I just liked the way Sega handled themselves with the SMS better. Look at their SMS commercials. They were SUPER SERIOIUS. They never tried to be funny. With the Genesis, they went comedian, and I wasn't amused. The final straw was them replacing Alex Kidd as their mascot with Sonic. Total blasphemy. The equivilant of Nintendo ditching Mario. :mario:
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Rob wrote:I'd have to say that in the beginning I was a SNES guy all the way, laughing at the Genesis kids that had no Mario to play.

All of the sudden I was making a mad grab for the Genesis. Sega had introduced the version 2 model, and it had an insanely low price of something like 49.99- one summer of cutting grass left me with enough loot to buy the console (bundled with Sonic 2), Mortal Kombat, Lethal Enforcers, an extra "Hotshot" style joystick controller (with turbo fire options), a Menacer, T2: The Arcade Game, and I think Splatterhouse 2.
Bah, Street Fighter II was better than MK! :chun-li: :ryu:

I just wanted to use those smileys.

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

Ter wrote:
Rob wrote:I'd have to say that in the beginning I was a SNES guy all the way, laughing at the Genesis kids that had no Mario to play.

I'm seconding the Street Fighter being better comment.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Rob

Post by Rob »

Well, if you notice the games I bought, I had a definite violent streak in my gaming. I think, now, MK plays better on the SNES, but the gore and fatalities are what made me buy a Genesis.

As for SFII, this may be considered heresy, but after playing the Hyper/Turbo versions for so long, I can't play the original anymore without being frustrated!

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Rob wrote:Well, if you notice the games I bought, I had a definite violent streak in my gaming. I think, now, MK plays better on the SNES, but the gore and fatalities are what made me buy a Genesis.

As for SFII, this may be considered heresy, but after playing the Hyper/Turbo versions for so long, I can't play the original anymore without being frustrated!
How about Time Killers? I loved the arcade game, but never played the Genesis version.

Erosion_Of_Sanity

Post by Erosion_Of_Sanity »

It's always been a tough choice for me. The Sega Genesis was my first ever home console (got it on my 5th birthday back in 1993, lol) and I played the SHIT out of it. I remember getting Aladdin and WWF Super Wrestlemania; I didn't do anything but play those games. My buddies had SNES, and I was always fond of the bright colored sprites and backgrounds, but I was sworn to my Genesis! With games like Moral Kombat (1-3), Super Street Fighter II The New Challengers, and Toe Jam and Earl: Panic on Funkotron! (my all time favorite side scrolling adventure/platformer), I was hooked.

To this day I play way more SNES titles, now that I own one. The 16-bit era will always hold a very special place in my heart.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jakenut86

Post by Jakenut86 »

I never really cared for Panic On Funkotron, I always wished it had been like the original Toe Jam & Earl.

Erosion_Of_Sanity

Post by Erosion_Of_Sanity »

Jakenut86 wrote:I never really cared for Panic On Funkotron, I always wished it had been like the original Toe Jam & Earl.
I'm the exact opposite lol.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

megasdkirby

Post by megasdkirby »

Ter wrote:
Rob wrote:

I remember those debates!

People were arguing about what was best. I remember saying MK was better because it felt more "real".

Now? I have to give my vote to Street Fighter. Back then I chose MK solely because of the blood and violence...the novelty effect. Then I realized how deep SF was and how it was programmed miles better. MK is good, though.

I was a Genesis guy first, then a SNES guy after. I loved both consoles, but I leaned toward the SNES in the end. The graphics games like KI and DKC had were incredible. But i will never forget the feeling I had when I played Lunar 2 on the Sega CD...one of THE BEST experiences I've ever had. The second one would be Xenogears on the PSOne...

Kevins89notch5.0

Post by Kevins89notch5.0 »

SNES all the way. Zelda FTW!!!!

Amelyn

Post by Amelyn »

As far as I remember I've always been a SNES girl.

I got my SNES after my neighbour grew tired that I would knock on his door every Saturday morning to play Mario World. Then, he decided to sell the whole set to my family. I was always playing at Zelda or Super Mario Bros: Lost Levels and I would always rent Mortal kombat II and Donkey Kong.

I had my SNES for fifteen years now and it still hooked on my TV.