Games that were previewed in gamer mags...

Video gaming books, magazines, and newsletters. If you can read it, discuss it in here!
Rob

Games that were previewed in gamer mags...

Post by Rob »

That ended up never coming out.

I was looking at the Dec. 93 issue of EGM that's a veritable treasure trove of titles that never came out: Terminator 2: Chess Wars, Homey tha Clown (I'm guessing this was based on the In Living Color skit), The Beverly Hillbillies, Hellraiser 1 & 2, D&D: Tower of Doom (which wasn't released until six years later, and then it was only available on the Saturn in Japan only), Switch (Sega CD), etc. It also incorrectly lists the upcoming Sega 32X as the Sega Saturn.

The title that sticks out in my head the most was Twin Peaks for the NES, which was announced a couple of times in Nintendo Power but never came out. I've never been able to find out anything about it otherwise, as I'm a huge fan of the show. I remember waiting, and waiting, and even after the show was canceled I was still hoping it would come out. I even called the Game Counselor's Hotline to see if they had any info on its status, and the guy I talked to said that it was never going to come out. I wonder how far the development got, if it got far at all, or if it was reprogrammed into another game, or if it ever made it past the planning stage.

Carlos

Re: Games that were previewed in gamer mags...

Post by Carlos »

The one I wish came out was probably Thrill Kill. I remember reading about the story and characters and just being blown away by it. And the promise of blood, gore, and violence that would make MK look like an E rated title along with 4-player matches, I was sold. Too bad EA thought it was too violent and immoral to release it, and the engine was used for that shitty Wu-Tang fighter....

Rob

Post by Rob »

Thrill Kill! It actually plays a lot like the Wu Tang game. I've got two different versions, one is about three quarters done and it's horrible. The other one is like 95% complete, and it plays well. If you have a modded PS One, you can find the Rom fairly easily on the web.

I found this review that showcases both versions:

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Rob wrote:Thrill Kill! It actually plays a lot like the Wu Tang game. I've got two different versions, one is about three quarters done and it's horrible. The other one is like 95% complete, and it plays well. If you have a modded PS One, you can find the Rom fairly easily on the web.

I found this review that showcases both versions:

God, now I want to get a modded PSOne and download that game like there's no tomorrow, heh.

MaximumRD

Post by MaximumRD »

Rob wrote:Thrill Kill! It actually plays a lot like the Wu Tang game. I've got two different versions, one is about three quarters done and it's horrible. The other one is like 95% complete, and it plays well. If you have a modded PS One, you can find the Rom fairly easily on the web.
Yes, I have that as well as Half Life for Dreamcast and a multiplayer flight-combat game for Dreamcast (name escapes me at the moment) and also a Penn and Teller game for Sega CD lol! Whether good or bad it is always exciting to obtain a console game that was never "officially" released.
Oldshool gaming, some people will never "Get it"
Check out my Classic Gaming Videos: RATE ! COMMENT!
http://ca.youtube.com/user/MaximumRD

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

Rob wrote:Switch (Sega CD),
That's known as Panic! here in the States, that was the overseas name for it. I'm pretty sure both came out, I know for sure Panic! did, since I have it...one review I did can be seen on these pages (I just left the link on it's main page so you can see pics of it if you go to that tab, the review will be in another one, obviously), the other one (plus different pics) I did of it is here, with an Easter egg shot of the Japanese version of the Switch title screen, which can be found in the game, along with it's intro (well, the intro isn't in the review, but in the game, I mean).

I would've liked for Atari 2600 Wizard to have been released, it sounded intriguing. And Virtua Hamster for the Sega 32X sounded utterly ridiculous at first, with you controlling a hamster as it went through those tubes that links cages and all. But then after I thought about it for a while, it started sounding cool!
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

Rob

Post by Rob »

I didn't know that, Darryl. I'm not familiar with Panic! either, so I was like "Switch... doesn't ring a bell". Google didn't answer my question either...

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

Panic! was very funny, along the lines of "a cartoon you control", not exactly a "game". People either laugh at it or hate it (the Video Game Critic gave it an F-; oh, come ON!). I think it's pretty funny, but unfortunately you have to take a crapload of notes for it, since with every screen you're presented a control with a lot of buttons to push. Pushing a button will do something funny (or very weird) or take you to another scene. There's over a thousand scenes, literally, so that's a lot of notes to take! Worth the only $10 I paid for it though, in my opinion.
Rob wrote:"Switch... doesn't ring a bell". Google didn't answer my question either...
Maybe you were right in that it never actually came out, I'm not sure. I just went to do a link to a data base where I uploaded photos for the game but they're gone now; maybe either a glitch removed them or someone told the site owner to, that the game didn't have those screens after all. All I know is that I got them from a cheat you input during the game's title screen, which you can choose all the scenes in the game possible, plus the intro animation to Switch is included with that stuff. Unusual, to say the least.

Hmmm, just looked around a few Sega CD sites, you could be right, maybe it *was* never released. I'll do some more looking around to see what I can find, if anything...surely SOMEONE has an MIA/unreleased list out there with it on there!

EDIT: ok, Hardcore Gaming's 101 article on Panic! has a cover of the Japanese version of the game Switch, saying it was released over there. That's good enough for me!
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

Rob

Post by Rob »

Panic! sounds like one of those games I would have loved as a kid, back when I had patience. :maniac:

Now, if I have to bother looking up a walkthrough or reading the manual, I space out. :)

triverse

Post by triverse »

Panic! also had nudity (one scene has your character simply covered in bare boobs). According to the gentleman that runs Sega CD Universe, Panic! was released in the US.

http://www.angelfire.com/ny/dezmoowu/segareviews2.html

You have to scroll down to Panic! for his view on the game.
Also, he claims to own every US released game for the Sega CD.

I donated a bunch of the ads he needed for his advertisements section.

If you are interested in PSOne games that never came out you can check out Playstation Museum:

http://www.playstationmuseum.com/Games/GRAVEYARD/

The owner is a little behind as I sent him about 300 scans of games and such that were covered but not released (about 4 months ago) and he is just now getting to putting any of it up.