Digitally re-mastered issues of the old fanzine Zap!

Zap! was a fanzine I ran from 1991 to 1993, for a total of eight issues. What was your favorite issue? Looking to buy the entire set?

Moderators: megasdkirby, Rob

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Digitally re-mastered issues of the old fanzine Zap!

Post by Zap! »

As many of you know, starting in 1991 (with the September/October issue), I was the editor of a classic gaming fanzine called Zap! The last "official" issue was issue #7, the the November/December issue, but there was a "prototype" of issue #8 saved on an Atari ST floppy disk, about 60% completed. Anyway, all of the issues were printed on a dot matrix printer, and the program I used had no spelling check (and I was an awful speller then). The exciting news I have is that I am pulling a George Lucas - digitally remastering every issue! However, unlike what Lucas did to Star Wars by adding in extras, I'm keeping the original intact, right down to my old address and opinions that I had as an 18 year old.

It was no easy task. Although I found a PC program that uses the same .DTP files I saved on floppy disk, the translation was far from perfect. I had to move things from here to there, re-fit many words, etc. In hopes of keeping it true to form, I left it all the same. The only difference is that I corrected all the spelling and grammar errors, and each issue looks far-superior due to the fact it was now printed on my Epson Artisan 800 printer. When Zap! started, 7 issues went out, although issue #7 appears to be rare. Many people tell me they only have the first 6. Now, back to the unfinished issue number 8. I found a collection of stuff I had written in the 90's, and added it to complete it. Besides that, I just copied the Classified Ads section from issue #7. It is a very good issue, it just has less clip art than other issues.

I will be offering all 8 issues for $10 shipped to your door. I'm not out to make a profit, I just need something to cover shipping and ink (the new printer eats ink faster than the dot matrix!) If any of my old subscribers remember Zap!, let me know. I'm looking for old subscribers and pen pals from the past.

Note: PayPal should be up and running by Saturday, or you can send a check or m/o via snail mail and PM me for my address.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Rob

Re: Digitally re-mastered issues of the old fanzine Zap!

Post by Rob »

I found your "who's who" entry over at On-File:
Ter Micharoni: Ter edited one of the two fanzines entitled Zap!. The other, by Scott Weller, had two exclamation points in the title. Zap! was unique in that it focused as much on Ter's conservative political beliefs as it had video games.
That's funny, either I never picked up on the political side or I just don't remember them.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Rob wrote:I found your "who's who" entry over at On-File:
Ter Micharoni: Ter edited one of the two fanzines entitled Zap!. The other, by Scott Weller, had two exclamation points in the title. Zap! was unique in that it focused as much on Ter's conservative political beliefs as it had video games.
That's funny, either I never picked up on the political side or I just don't remember them.
I didn't mention politics much at all, that's an exaggeration on his part. Just a few references to "Slick Willie" and Ronald Reagan's military build up ending the Cold War. Never mix video games and politics, it will turn many people off. I didn't know that at 18, 19. :)
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Count me in, man. Let me know when you have PayPal setup and I'll place my order. I'd definitely like to read what you had to contribute.

Jakenut86

Post by Jakenut86 »

Yep. I never read these back when they were first in print but I always like to read old magazines so I ordered :) Oh and Ter, just wanted to let you know I sent the m/o out today so you should get it in a couple days :)
_________________________________________________________________________________

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

I'll look out for the m/o, I should get it by Saturday.

My PayPal will be fixed on Tuesday. I thought it would be instant, but it takes 3-4 business days. Sucks. :(

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Just wanted to let everyone know I recieved your money orders, and the issues will all go out tomorrow morning. After printing up a bulk, I noticed some errors and had to reprint a few issues, being the perfectionist that I am. Since I am doing this all in my home without a duplexer (the add-on I'm ordering for my printer that allows me to automatically print double sided without having to put back the paper in the tray), printing just 10 copies of all 8 issues takes several hours. Still, there is no excuse and I apologize to everyone. You should all get them by early in the week. Enjoy!

Jakenut86

Post by Jakenut86 »

No problem buddy, can't wait to read em'! :headbang:
_________________________________________________________________________________

Rob

Post by Rob »

(waiting at home patiently, checking his watch, wondering where his Zap! be at. )

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

The issues are in the mail!

For those who didn't order yet, you can click the PayPal button and write in $10, or send me a check or money order.

Jakenut86

Post by Jakenut86 »

Awesome!!!

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Well, did anyone get them yet? What did you think?

Jakenut86

Post by Jakenut86 »

Still haven't had a chance to go to the PO to check my mail. They are probably already there. Well I'll let you know what I think as soon as I get time off enough to get there.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Got mine today, I'll post some more when I get a chance to read them all.

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Ter, you got PM

MaximumRD

Post by MaximumRD »

If I Paypal you $10 USD does that include shipping to CANADA?
Oldshool gaming, some people will never "Get it"
Check out my Classic Gaming Videos: RATE ! COMMENT!
http://ca.youtube.com/user/MaximumRD

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

MaximumRD wrote:If I Paypal you $10 USD does that include shipping to CANADA?
Yes, the $10 USD covers all of Canada. :)

MaximumRD

Post by MaximumRD »

Ter wrote:

Sweet! Payment sent! :DonkeyKongJr_spin:

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

MaximumRD wrote:
Ter wrote:

Sweet! Payment sent! :DonkeyKongJr_spin:
Payment received! Will go out first thing tomorrow (Monday)! :starman:

MaximumRD

Post by MaximumRD »

Great, thanks, looking forward to seeing what I missed originally, and in a better format too! :mariohammer: