EGM is Back

Video gaming books, magazines, and newsletters. If you can read it, discuss it in here!
Zap!
Zap! Commander

EGM is Back

Post by Zap! »

"ELECTRONIC GAMING MONTHLY" FOUNDER
EXECUTES CONTRACT TO ACQUIRE PRINT AND ONLINE
PUBLISHING RIGHTS TO EGM MAGAZINE

BEVERLY HILLS, CA, May 29, 2009 - Steve Harris, founder of "Electronic Gaming Monthly" magazine, announced today that he has entered into an agreement with Ziff Davis Media to re-acquire certain assets, including trademarks and publishing rights, with plans to re-launch EGM in the second half of 2009.

"The re-launch of Electronic Gaming Monthly represents a welcome opportunity to continue delivering quality content to gaming enthusiasts," said Harris. "I feel honored to once again be associated with this respected magazine. The talented writers and designers who built upon EGM's original vision have left behind a publication that is uniquely positioned to be successful."

"Electronic Gaming Monthly is and always has been one of the most respected publications among the gaming enthusiast community," said Jason Young, CEO, Ziff Davis Media Inc. "We are pleased that EGM is now in the hands of its original creator, Steve Harris, and wish him and the publication the best of success in the future."

"We have exciting plans for the evolution of what will once again be a leading independent voice for the gaming community," Harris continued. "The twenty year success of the EGM brand has always been built upon a commitment to its readers who I believe will enthusiastically embrace the changes we are planning to introduce."

Additional details and future announcements will be made during the upcoming E3 expo and posted on the magazine's official website at http://www.EGMNOW.com or via the official EGM Twitter account at http://www.twitter.com/EGMNOW .

ABOUT ELECTRONIC GAMING MONTHLY:

Electronic Gaming Monthly (aka EGM) was launched in 1988 by Steve Harris to provide independent news, reviews, and other content of interest to video game enthusiasts. The magazine enjoyed rapid success that continued after Harris sold the publication to Ziff Davis in 1996. It has remained an industry leader for more than twenty years and has enjoyed a strong and loyal readership base during that time.
http://bitmob.com/index.php/mobfeed/EGM-is-Back.html
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Rob

Re: EGM is Back

Post by Rob »

Hmmm. Let's see if they honor the rest of my subscription.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Subscription information is now up! 6 print issues and 26 premium digital issues for $14.99 or 12 print issues and 52 digital issues for $24.99. I just subscribed, first new issues comes out next month, can't wait!

http://www.egmnow.com/
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

triverse

Post by triverse »

Wait till you see the digital edition and the design of those print issues...

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Many people in Canada have gotten theirs in the mail already. Strangely, no one from the US seem to have gotten theirs yet, including me.

Steve Harris' Facebook Page

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

I got the issue in the mail yesterday, and my online code a few days ago. Haven't really gotten a chance to read deep into it yet, but I liked what I see so far. One thing I couldn't find (I was in a rush, so maybe I missed it) was any reviews. No Review Crew?

Rob

Post by Rob »

Well I like that it's squarebound again, but I payed 6.99 for it off the newsstand and was kind of disappointed. Maybe I shouldn't have purchased it along with Retrogamer...

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

If you will be picking up more issues, I recommend a subscription. You'll save a lot of money down the road. I'm gonna finish reading this later. So glad Steve Harris is back, he truly is one of my gaming idols.

Rob

Post by Rob »

I'm kind of scared to get another subscription! I had 18 issues left on a 24 issue subscription and nobody wants to refund me or honor the rest of the sub.

I too am glad Steve Harris is back, but I'm kind of leery about subscribing at this point.

MaximumRD

Post by MaximumRD »

GAMEFAN is back too!

Oldshool gaming, some people will never "Get it"
Check out my Classic Gaming Videos: RATE ! COMMENT!
http://ca.youtube.com/user/MaximumRD

MaximumRD

Post by MaximumRD »

Whoops! Double post! KILL IT!
Last edited by MaximumRD on Sun May 02, 2010 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldshool gaming, some people will never "Get it"
Check out my Classic Gaming Videos: RATE ! COMMENT!
http://ca.youtube.com/user/MaximumRD

Rob

Post by Rob »

That's cool, but I'm not sure about the dual format with Movie Fan. That mag sucks. I liked GameFan better than Play though, so I'm glad to see it back.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Maybe I'll pick up the GameFan issue today, but I never really bought that magazine. Now, if only Video Games & Computer Entertainment would make a comeback...

triverse

Post by triverse »

I have the new issues of Gamefan and EGM and well, it is weird, it feels like Halverson lost the "feel" of Gamefan during his absence (and that of the mag itself) and that Harris hit paydirt with a new style that is closer to the original Gamefan (especially in paper quality).

Weird. lol

As far as VG&CE coming back, well, I have gotten in contact with 99% of the staff that worked on it back in the day and they all seem to wish the same thing in seeing it return.

All I can really say is, be careful what you wish for...

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

triverse wrote:I have the new issues of Gamefan and EGM and well, it is weird, it feels like Halverson lost the "feel" of Gamefan during his absence (and that of the mag itself) and that Harris hit paydirt with a new style that is closer to the original Gamefan (especially in paper quality).

Weird. lol

As far as VG&CE coming back, well, I have gotten in contact with 99% of the staff that worked on it back in the day and they all seem to wish the same thing in seeing it return.

All I can really say is, be careful what you wish for...
I'm gonna have to pick up Gamefan later today. EGM is cool, but I want the Review Crew back.

As for VG&CE, I'm still wishing, I can't see how it could go wrong, unless it's online only.

triverse

Post by triverse »

The big thing about Gamefan is that it also includes Moviefan. Don't worry, being a flip magazine you would think it would be 50 percent Gamefan and 50 percent Moviefan. It is 29 pages of Moviefan and 68 pages of Gamefan so that is nearly a 70/30 split in favor of Gamefan.

The paper quality is not anywhere near what it was in the first iteration (that honor goes to EGM who are using about a 60 pound paper, Gamefan is more closer to 40 or so I would venture to say).