Famicom and Disk System

Gaming from other countries

Moderators: megasdkirby, Carlos

Carlos

Famicom and Disk System

Post by Carlos »

So I've been looking into picking up a Famicom and the Disk System to go with it. I've been doing a little research on it, but I'm having a hard time finding a list of good games for it that aren't pretty much the same as the NES version. Anyone have any suggestions or am I better off sticking with the NES instead of both?

As far as games go, I don't really care what genre or type as long as it's fun and doesn't require an excessive amount of Japanese translating, but I'm open if there's a translation guide, heh.

HiddenGremlin

Re: Famicom and Disk System

Post by HiddenGremlin »

You definitely need to start playing the famicom, its is so great.

My list of beginners games:

Getsufuu Maden - Feels like Zelda mixed with Mario 2
Dragon No Tsubusa - Adventure Game kind of has a feel of Kung Fu; but way better
Ikki - Quest game, has a Zelda feel to it.
Argus - Space Ship game, like Galaga meets Asteroids
Yie Ar Kung-Fu - Kind of like Mortal Kombat
Splatterhouse Wanpaku Grafitti - This is a must have for any Famicom player; a prequel to the Arcade game of Splatterhouse also a prequel to the Turbo Grafx-16 version.
Recca - Recommended, very very fun.
Mother - One of the best famicom games ever, its an adventure; survival possessed game.
Tower of Druaga - A Maze like game combined with Bomberman feel.
Hi No tori
Circus Charlie

But there are tons more that I have never played, so I imagine many more games of fun exist on Famicom that never existed on NES.
Last edited by HiddenGremlin on Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am also a member of these sites:
FamicomWorld The Uninvited Gremlin
NintendoAGE Dreammary
AtariAGE Dreammary

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Appreciate the info. Thanks man. :)

HiddenGremlin

Post by HiddenGremlin »

No problem, you will grow to love the Famicom. Its a masterpiece of 80's Japanese gaming tech.
NintendoAGE Dreammary
AtariAGE Dreammary

Rob

Post by Rob »

My problem is that I have two famicoms and neither of them work. I have a few games that came bundled with them and I'm not sure what they are.

Is there a common "bug" on these consoles, like on the NES Toaster where the 72-pin is always glitching?

HiddenGremlin

Post by HiddenGremlin »

Rob wrote:My problem is that I have two famicoms and neither of them work. I have a few games that came bundled with them and I'm not sure what they are.

Is there a common "bug" on these consoles, like on the NES Toaster where the 72-pin is always glitching?
No, they dont have lockout chips or problems with the connectors.
You need to set your television to channel 95, and make sure never to use AC power, only DC 9v which is why the system wont work for many people.
If you use a NES power adapter on the famicom, its dead for good; NES uses AC 9v instead of Famicom DC 9v. But NES rf switches work excellent with Famicom.

Japanese televisions work on a different frequency then ours do, channel 1 on the back of your Famicom with channel 95 on your television. They call Channel 95, the Famicom Channel.
NintendoAGE Dreammary
AtariAGE Dreammary

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Topic moved to the newly created imports!
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Ter Micharoni wrote:Topic moved to the newly created imports!
Cool man. Thanks.

HiddenGremlin

Post by HiddenGremlin »

SegaBoy wrote:
Ter Micharoni wrote:Topic moved to the newly created imports!
Cool man. Thanks.
I agree, a section for imports was a grand idea.
NintendoAGE Dreammary
AtariAGE Dreammary

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

HiddenGremlin wrote:No problem, you will grow to love the Famicom. Its a masterpiece of 80's Japanese gaming tech.
Do you like it better than the PC Engine? That a tough one.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

HiddenGremlin

Post by HiddenGremlin »

Ter wrote:
HiddenGremlin wrote:No problem, you will grow to love the Famicom. Its a masterpiece of 80's Japanese gaming tech.
They are closely matched, I am not sure. Its a good question though.
NintendoAGE Dreammary
AtariAGE Dreammary

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

HiddenGremlin wrote:
Ter wrote:
They are closely matched, I am not sure. Its a good question though.
I'm missing out on a lot. I never played any Famicom or PC Engine exclusives. I heard there were tons. With the PCE, a lot of great games never made it due to licensing problems (Nintendo exclusively contracts). Very sad what Nintendo did at the time.

Rob

Post by Rob »

I think their intent (Nintendo's) was noble in the beginning, to try to avoid the shovelware that ruined the whole industry just a few short years prior. But then, like labor unions, :flipoff: they got greedy and tried to monopolize the games industry in the US. Really, they were like the Mafia in their tactics, and a lot of people are oblivious to the fact that they've been found guilty of anti-trust laws several times.

I also hate the Nazi-ish censorship so rampant in their games. A lot of the Famicom titles never showed up here for two reasons: 1. Content 2. Difficulty. Nintendo sold us short by not allowing games like the original SMB2 or Final Fantasy games to be released in their original format. But their censorship of certain themes was downright laughable at times.

I lost my faith in Nintendo when they went from being "family friendly" to allowing crap like "Conker's Bad Fur Day" to come out on their systems. I'm all for M-rated games, but Nintendo still bills itself as the family friendly console but puts stuff like "Manhunt 2" or "BMX XXX" on their systems. That's two faced, especially from a company that wouldn't allow the image of a crucifix in any of the Castlevania games for fear of rocking the boat.

ckendal

Post by ckendal »

Anyone looking for a Famicom and/or Disk System should check out my online store:

https://www.famicomshop.com/

We are based in the US and ship worldwide. Currently we have 3 Twin Famicoms and a ton of Famicom and Disk System games. We also have Handbills/Flyers and Accessories.

Please don't hesitate to PM me or email me at carl@famicomshop.com with any questions.

Thanks,
Carl

hoaryhag

Post by hoaryhag »

Thanks for the info hiddengremlin.

HiddenGremlin

Post by HiddenGremlin »

No problem, hoaryhag.
I am a big fan of Famicom, and would like to see more people take an interest.
NintendoAGE Dreammary
AtariAGE Dreammary

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

HiddenGremlin wrote:No problem, hoaryhag.
Is there any way to modify the Disk System to work on a US NES? I know the Famicom carts will work on a NES with the Honeybee adapter.

HiddenGremlin

Post by HiddenGremlin »

Ter wrote:
HiddenGremlin wrote:No problem, hoaryhag.
Is there any way to modify the Disk System to work on a US NES? I know the Famicom carts will work on a NES with the Honeybee adapter.
Yes. Its easier to do on an official NES-101 Toploader but also can be done on the original NES-001 with a Game Genie with a Honeybee Adapter attached and the Ram drive ontop of those 2, likely you would have to put the NES on its side with the hatch facing upright.

The Toploader is easier, just attach a Honeybee Adapter and then the Ram drive to the adapter and your good to go.

See, fortunately they added the same verifications in the official NES systems because originally they intended to make a disk system for the NES thats why it has a bottom expansion port... unfortunately that never happened.

Clones dont have the proper coding to send to a Disk system, so you cannot use a clone... only a NES-001, NES-101, Famicom, AV Famicom, and Twin Famicom will load the disk system without a device error.
NintendoAGE Dreammary
AtariAGE Dreammary