Old Nintendo system sells for $13,105

1985-1989 gave us the Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Master System, Atari 7800, XE Game System, etc. Great times indeed.

Moderators: megasdkirby, Carlos

Rob

Old Nintendo system sells for $13,105

Post by Rob »

Everyday folk discovering colossally valuable collectors' items amid everyday junk has been the lifeblood of antiques shows for years, but it's not every day you see a real-life gold-in-the-attic tale play out on eBay.

Last week, North Carolina eBay user lace_thongs35 thought she was putting up an everyday, 80s-era Nintendo Entertainment System (together with five games) up on the popular auction site. But less than an hour after the first bid, the price was over $6,000 -- and on Wednesday, when the auction closed, the final selling price topped $13,000.

Why? Not the console itself, but one of the games bundled with it -- a deeply obscure 1987 release called Stadium Events, a highly sought-after collectors' item. But it wasn't even the game itself that was worth the bulk of the money -- it was the original cardboard box, which collectors value at a breathtaking $10,000. Fewer than 10 complete copies of the game are thought to exist, and retro gaming aficionados consider it one of the hardest-to-find NES games ever made.

Bet you're wishing you hadn't let Mom throw out your Nintendo collection now, eh?
http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plug ... 05/1389101

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Re: Old Nintendo system sells for $13,105

Post by Zap! »

The more people keep finding these games in their attic, the more the price should go down. This game keeps jumping to astronomical numbers.

BTW, I was curious about someone with a username like "lace_thongs35", so I clicked her profile. Here's what she looks like.

One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

Funny how that post was just made about Stadium Events recently, then I was surprised to read this article today oh go 'holy crap! I've heard about that game!'
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Darryl B. wrote:Funny how that post was just made about Stadium Events recently, then I was surprised to read this article today oh go 'holy crap! I've heard about that game!'
Since there was no mention of "Stadium Events" in the title or description, wouldn't it have been great if one of us grabbed it for $50? :D
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Rob

Post by Rob »

Ter wrote:The more people keep finding these games in their attic, the more the price should go down. This game keeps jumping to astronomical numbers.

BTW, I was curious about someone with a username like "lace_thongs35", so I clicked her profile. Here's what she looks like.

You know, I would say that this is a Glamourshots photo circa 1985, but having lived in North Carolina most of my adult life, it could have been taken yesterday. :)