Gaming in extreme temperatures

Anything gaming-related that doesn't fit anywhere else, or covers a wide span of years not specific to the other forums

Moderators: megasdkirby, Carlos, Darryl B.

TwinChargers

Gaming in extreme temperatures

Post by TwinChargers »

Is it damaging to pre-CD based systems to be housed in extreme temperatures? The reason I ask is that my family might be buying a house instead of renting this crummy apartment. Unfortunately, with the home not having a basement, it appears that my game room might be sent out to the garage. Its not all bad, its a separate room from the garage, and its decent an all, but it isn't insulated and will get quite cold in the winter (-20) and quite warm in the summer (90+). There's no way I'd put a CD based system out there, with all the moving parts that could freeze up, but will it be bad for the older systems to be put in these conditions? Is it bad for old TV's to be housed in these conditions also? Thanks for any info supplied.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Rob

Re: Gaming in extreme temperatures

Post by Rob »

Based on my experience? No. I've purchased several consoles that were stored that way for decades, and they all work fine. I wouldn't personally do that if I had the option not to, but that's just me.

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

Yeah, I know that this isn't the ideal situation, but if its the only option I have its what I'll end up having to do.

I'm pretty sure my wife won't let me keep one of the kids out in the garage instead just so I can have a controlled temperature game room.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Define extreme. Even if I had no heat, the temp would never fall below 30-40 in the Winter. I guess it's different in MN. As for the Summer, I'd guess 85-90 would max it out, I'm low-level so it stays cool.

Getting back on-topic, I doubt any harm could be done as long as there's little/no moisture. Wouldn't worry unless it went -100 or 140+.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

Yeah, here in MN in the winter we can easily get well below zero for long periods of time. -20 isn't out of the question. Its in a garage, so wind chill obviously won't be a factor. It appears as if the roof has no leaks by looking for water spots on the ceiling, so it'll be dry. If anything maybe I could invest in a few dust covers for the consoles, cause that's another concern I have (dusty conditions possibly).

gamemaster

Post by gamemaster »

run some heat in there not to hard to do and if the home got AC your set too.

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

gamemaster wrote:run some heat in there not to hard to do and if the home got AC your set too.
Can't man, detached garage, but thanks for the suggestion.

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

Heres to hope I'm not causing any damage! Already been below zero many a days around here. I'll update this spring if anything is acting weird.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

TwinChargers wrote:Heres to hope I'm not causing any damage! Already been below zero many a days around here. I'll update this spring if anything is acting weird.
Someone test this by putting a common game in the freezer for a month, then see if it works. put it in a ziplock first though. :)
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube