Nintendo cuts price of Wii for first time

2005 to present, began with the Xbox 360 and continued with the PlayStation 3 and Wii
Zap!
Zap! Commander

Nintendo cuts price of Wii for first time

Post by Zap! »

TOKYO, Japan -- Nintendo on Thursday announced the first price cut for its Wii games console following declining sales and price competition from Microsoft and Sony.

The Japanese company said the price of the Wii would drop $50, or 20 percent, to $199.99 in the U.S. on Sunday. Its price is also being cut by 20 percent in Japan to Y20,000 from October 1, and the same will apply in Europe from October 2.

The Wii, launched in November 2006, had gone longer than any console in history without a cut of its initial price.

In March, however, it was overtaken in sales by Sony's PlayStation 3 in Japan and it has suffered dramatic declines in sales in the U.S. this year. In August, Nintendo sold 277,000 units in the U.S., down from 453,000 a year earlier, according to research firm NPD. The price cut will be seen as an attempt by the company to bolster sales of the Wii entering the crucial holiday season period.

"I wasn't expecting a price cut," said Haruhiro Tsujimoto, the president of publisher Capcom.

"I'm surprised and I welcome it," said Naoya Tsurumi, managing director of consumer business at Sega, which will publish Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games for the Wii next month. "I hope that this is very good news for us for Christmas."
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/09/24/nint ... index.html
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

megasdkirby

Re: Nintendo cuts price of Wii for first time

Post by megasdkirby »

Yay, even more reason for companies to pump out the shovelware! :(

Carlos

Re: Nintendo cuts price of Wii for first time

Post by Carlos »

Hopefully this means a black Wii will come out soon.