I just got back from the Screw Attack Gaming Convention...

BS about anything you like in here, as long as it's not TOO controversial

Moderators: Rob, Carlos

Carlos

I just got back from the Screw Attack Gaming Convention...

Post by Carlos »

So I just got back from the 2009 Screw Attack Gaming Convention. It wasn’t as big as I had hoped, and we didn’t get to spend a lot of time there, but Lazerface and I still had a lot of fun.

We got there about 10 minutes after 9 and there was a crazy long line to get in. Luckily, we found a back way in, and were able to register early, but they wouldn’t let anyone inside the exhibition halls until 10. I took some pics of the main hall and a group of really good Ghostbusters cosplayers while waiting.

After waiting for an hour, we finally got to go inside and the first thing we checked out was the main game room. This was inside one of the main ball rooms and it was pretty huge. On the main stage, they had a Rock Band 2 setup with an ION drum kit (the expensive $300 one) and ironically, Guitar Hero guitar controllers instead of the Rock Band ones. It was really cool to watch different groups of people play and seeing other gamers in the crowd cheer them on. On the other side, there were some people that were just horrible. There was one blue haired girl singing that sung Alanis Morrisette’s “You Ought to Know” perfectly. Then there was another girl that sounded like horrid drunken karaoke. The Ghostbusters cosplayers got up there and did a few songs and did really kick ass. It was cool to watch. :headbang:

On one of the giant walls, they projected a Street Fighter IV setup with two “tournament edition” style joysticks. :chun-li: :ryu: On another giant wall, they had Tekken 5 and Soul Calibur 4 setup. Other parts of the game room had Wiis setup with Super Smash Bros. Brawl, 8 XBOX 360s linked up to play Halo 3, a JPN PS2 running Beatmania (which we never got to play because one of the staffers kept hogging it. A fucking staffer! :boxing: ). There was also a JPN PS2 playing a game that was a cross between Super Smash Bros. and the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion. Lazerface and I spent a good 30-45 minutes playing this game. It was a blast. A lot of moves, weapons and effects from the show. I’m definitely gonna pick it up one I get a JPN PS2. :2_thumbs_up: They also had JPN PS2s running Initial D, Hokoto no Ken (Fist of the North Star), and others. Another cool part was the old school section. They had a Neo-Geo playing Samurai Spirits 2 (played quite a few times), a Genesis playing Sonic & Knuckles, NES playing Mario Bros. 3, a Saturn playing Battle Arena Toshinden Remix, and a Dreamcast playing Capcom vs. SNK 2. :tanooki:

After checking out the main game room, we went out to the main hall and I got my picture taken with Sonic The Hedgehog (which was a lot cooler than it sounds, being a big Sega fan :sonicthehedgehog2: ). After that we went into the “Arcade Room”. This was pretty cool. They had an X-Men machine, Police Training, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Pac-Man, Street Fighter 3, Arkanoid, Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Killer Instinct, and best of all an “arcade” style black & white Game Boy setup. Another weird thing was a strange version of Street Fighter 2 called “Street Fighter Rainbow”. I think it was a hacked or bootleg version. I took a pic of the marquee. (Pics will be posted to my Facebook). We didn’t stay in there too long because it was small and cramped, and a group of kids came in that smelled like death incarnate :pooh: . Seriously, it was like they’ve never heard of deodorant or the concept of bathing. It’s embarrassing that parent’s let their kids go out in public like that. God only knows how they smell, lol.

We went back to the main game room for a while and killed some time waiting for the Dealer’s Room to open up. Once inside, there wasn’t that much to shop for. The first table I went to had a bunch of PS1, PS2, NES, SNES, Genesis and Sega CD games, but since we were in a hurry I didn’t get a chance to look through them. I went to the SGC table and got a SGC convention shirt and a Angry Video Game Nerd shirt. I went to another dealer that had some import stuff like Famicom and Super Famicom games and some Wonderswan Color Final Fantasy bundles. He also had a couple of SNES consoles modded to play any region game, which I almost bought, but decided to hold off since there was no guarantee it would work and if it was broken, no way to return it. They also had Genesis/Mega Drive clones and FC Mobile IIs, but $65. Knowing I could get it cheaper elsewhere, I held off. The next table had a lot of toys and figures from various anime like Bleach, Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, and others, along with some Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, and Kingdom Hearts figures and statues. They also had some various Nintendo plushes. I picked up a plush of the infamous “Question Block” from Mario Bros. When you hit it, it makes the coin chime, and after hitting it ten times, it makes a 1UP chime. It’s pretty cool :QuestionBlock: .

After all that, Lazerface and I decided it call it a day. Overall, it was a decent show, but nothing spectacular. I give it a 3.5 out of 5. It was fun, but the staff wasn’t very knowledgeable or professional, and I feel there could’ve been more variety of games in the Game Room and the Arcade room could’ve been bigger.

Well, that’s all folks!

Pics are on my Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 1277853315

Darryl B.

Re: I just got back from the Screw Attack Gaming Convention...

Post by Darryl B. »

Pretty cool, thanks for the review :) I know what you mean about the "weird" stuff (the Street Fighter Rainbow), I've seen people get a bit creative with things, like making a miniature Rally-X into a MAME-type cab and an SNK demo cab, among other odd stuff like that at those kinds of places.

Too bad you didn't have more time to spend there though, but I guess there's always next year (?)!
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

Rob

Re: I just got back from the Screw Attack Gaming Convention...

Post by Rob »

Man, I wish I could have been there with you guys. Maybe next year...