So...

BS about anything you like in here, as long as it's not TOO controversial

Moderators: Rob, Carlos

Darryl B.

Re: So...

Post by Darryl B. »

Ter wrote:
Darryl B. wrote:Well, *I'm* here, and posting up a storm...hope y'all are happy! :P
Yes, I am! Some admins don't like reviving old topics, but I thrive off it! I'm the King of recycled threads! :D
Hee hee!

Yeah, I don't see why some people get all up in arms when old posts are bumped...sheesh...

If it's a good topic, why not? Some people can't help arriving 'late' to a forum!
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Darryl B. wrote:
Ter wrote:
Darryl B. wrote:Well, *I'm* here, and posting up a storm...hope y'all are happy! :P
Yes, I am! Some admins don't like reviving old topics, but I thrive off it! I'm the King of recycled threads! :D
Hee hee!

Yeah, I don't see why some people get all up in arms when old posts are bumped...sheesh...

If it's a good topic, why not? Some people can't help arriving 'late' to a forum!
I recycle my old jokes too. Sometimes I figure if it got a good laugh, try it again a few years later and hope they don't remember it. :Yoshilick:
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Wow, the board is really taking off lately. Hope this is just the start. 1,000 posts per day is the goal!
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Rob

Post by Rob »

1,000? Hell nah. Make it 2,000.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Rob wrote:1,000? Hell nah. Make it 2,000.
How many posts per day do you think DP and AA get?

Rob

Post by Rob »

Too damned many!

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

In Soviet Russia, the forum posts you!

LOL.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Rob wrote:Too damned many!
Haha. Although they get a lot, the are NOTHING compared to the most popular forums in the world. Here's a list of the top 2,200:

http://rankings.big-boards.com/?p=all

megasdkirby

Post by megasdkirby »

Wow, GameFaqs is #31...I thought it would be much higher!

Still, I think the smaller the forum is, the better and nicer the community is. Just look at GameFaqs...lots of terrible and mean members there...

Rob

Post by Rob »

The thing about gaming sites is that they attract a much younger segment of people compared to a lot of other forums. I'd say that probably 3/4th of the members over there at Gamefaqs are in their teens, so naturally you get that adolescent testosterone kicking in and every body has to be Dirty Harry with a keyboard. We, on the other hand, and sites like Digital Press and Atari Age tend to attract an older variety of gamer, so we're relatively free from a lot of the BS that goes on at other sites.

That's not to say that all younger gamers are dicks and that all older gamers are awesome and polite, but generally the older the crowd, the less the BS in my experience. At least on video game sites, anyway.

Moderation also has a lot to do with whether I want to be a part of a website, too. If the moderators are all pricks that try to walk around being internet tough guys and generally try to run the show, usually that guarantees that you're going to have people calling them out on their assholishness and basically leads to a bitter, hostile environment. Case in point; I was a member of the worlds first, and largest motor oil forum. I joined in 2002, the year it was founded, so six years and eight thousand posts later I, a founding member, get banned for telling a moderator to stop acting like he's John Wayne every time someone asks him a question. That's it, no more and no less. All my posts deleted, and my account was as though I never existed. And the environment there was stifled and hostile, as the moderators really did everything they could to exert their will on the populace. That's a prime example of too MUCH moderation.

On the other hand, there is another forum that I was a part of that had almost zero moderation. The reason I left was because out of nowhere we have neo nazi skinheads going to war with Marxist communists over who hates America the worst, and exactly just how evil or useless Jews and blacks are, etc. There is no way I would allow that type of shit to start up here, much less let it go on for months and years. The mods there are ultra liberal "freedom of speech" tools that don't want to censor anyone or anything, and there's just no excuse for that level of laxness. Especially when it's not even a politically themed forum, but a freaking tobacco website! That's a great example of too LITTLE moderation.

Gamefaqs is a good example of a site that alternates from one extreme to another. The mods are quick to put an end to some shenanigans, but when it comes to petty arguments and personal attacks, they pretty much let it go on until it explodes. A lot of the time, it's the moderators themselves that are engaging in pompous bickering, so how are you to call out childish behavior when it's one of the guys that could have you banned or otherwise make your day pretty miserable if you're trying to be a worthwhile contributor?

I just don't want this site to ever deteriorate to that sort of hostile environment. It's inevitable (in my eyes, anyway) that we will one day become as big as Digital Press or Atari Age, and with that type of traffic it's pretty much impossible to monitor everything, but I'd like to keep everything here as friendly as possible without being a douchebag. With the members/mods/admin we have, I think it will be pretty easy to maintain a warm atmosphere of camaraderie.

Put it this way, I'd like to see ZAP! surpass GameFAQS in popularity but I don't want the boards to look like we share the same membership. :)

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

Rob wrote: On the other hand, there is another forum that I was a part of that had almost zero moderation. The reason I left was because out of nowhere we have neo nazi skinheads going to war with Marxist communists over who hates America the worst, and exactly just how evil or useless Jews and blacks are, etc.
Pretty disgusting...
Rob wrote: The mods there are ultra liberal "freedom of speech" tools that don't want to censor anyone or anything, and there's just no excuse for that level of laxness. Especially when it's not even a politically themed forum, but a freaking tobacco website!
Not too surprising to me, I've seen all kinds of stuff appear on gaming websites too that makes you wonder how on earth certain subjects come up.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Rob wrote:On the other hand, there is another forum that I was a part of that had almost zero moderation. The reason I left was because out of nowhere we have neo nazi skinheads going to war with Marxist communists over who hates America the worst, and exactly just how evil or useless Jews and blacks are, etc.Put it this way, I'd like to see ZAP! surpass GameFAQS in popularity but I don't want the boards to look like we share the same membership. :)
I can't say I'm totally innocent. I once ran a political nuetral forum board from 2003 to 2007. I too was totally free speech, and courted every political viewpoint. Big mistake. It became infested with Nazis and some people though the board itself was racist. By 2007 I wised up, and banned any racist talk and turned the board into a paleo-conservative/paleo-libertarian board (Ron Paul worshiping types). But it was too late, and the server went bankrup by late 2007. I never bothered to put it up again.

So if anyone here likes Castro or Hitler, please keep it to yourself and don't post about it. :)

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

megasdkirby wrote:Wow, GameFaqs is #31...I thought it would be much higher!

Still, I think the smaller the forum is, the better and nicer the community is. Just look at GameFaqs...lots of terrible and mean members there...
#1 is an anime site. How did that happen?

megasdkirby

Post by megasdkirby »

I'll be honest...between DP and AA, I prefer DP. I tried AA, but I noticed an aura that I did not like one bit. It wasn't a hostile one...more like a snobbish one. I really can't explain it, and I deeply apologize for the comment, but every time I went to that site, I noticed it more and more. It just wasn't a place I would be happy going to, so I stuck with DP.

DP, on the other hand, has it's shares of arrogant folk as well, but even then, they don't disrespect other members, which is something I admire. Discussions are pretty much neutral and one is somewhat free to speak their mind. I really like the boards because it was a more "family oriented" feel, but it's still intimidating every now and then. Also, some mods can get pretty testy and unfair, but I guess it's because they are trying to be neutral on the aspect. Still, I like the boards alot.

Although Zap! is still growing, I can easily see a more humble environment, full of happy members posting and respecting each other more than on other boards. I'm not trying to be a suck up, but the environment here is very pleasing and I REALLY like it. I don't fear speaking my mind, and I act normally, without being forced to change my attitude. Everyone here is nice and friendly, which is a big plus for the site to increase in nature.

GameFaqs is way to "nazi". Mods are power hungry mongrels and it's disgusting. I only post to gain karma, and nothing else. I really despise this site and don't quiet understand why it's so popular.

gamemaster

Post by gamemaster »

I am new here and like this site alot i am on 20 sites i am a mod on one of them this one is my best one now. 4 of the site are BST sites too this one every one nice on here too

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

megasdkirby wrote: Although Zap! is still growing, I can easily see a more humble environment, full of happy members posting and respecting each other more than on other boards. I'm not trying to be a suck up, but the environment here is very pleasing and I REALLY like it. I don't fear speaking my mind, and I act normally, without being forced to change my attitude. Everyone here is nice and friendly, which is a big plus for the site to increase in nature.
Yeah everyone seems pretty mature here (picks nose :P ). It's like we're getting old and mellow or something (cranks up death metal)

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

I am also a member of AtariAge and DigitalPress forums. I'll admit, those other two have certain people that are a real turn off and cast a poor light at times on the community. I feel as if we have yet to have gotten big to the point where a person feels the need to troll the board and bring everyone's opinions down. In general I think I like the AtariAge community a bit more than the DigitalPress one, but I don't want to start a war by any means.

I'm not a member of GameFaq forums, and from what I've read around here its probably a good thing. I do think that its a great site to find game information though. I used to like Moby Games as well, but there information isn't anywhere near as expansive as GameFaq is.

I still think that this place is great. Love the fact it has an arcade, and a live chat option on the bottom. The people here are all nice and I feel as if this is more of a family atmosphere than any other forums I've been on. Here's to hope we keep up the top notch membership here on til 2012 :Dog_Laughing: .
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

I personally like both Atari Age and Digital Press. Both are very different, and have advantages over each other in different ways. I tried not to make Zap! another "me too" board and to be as unique as possible. I wanna offer users a clear choice so there's something for everyone.

Jibbajaba

Post by Jibbajaba »

You should be careful what you wish for. I was an extremely active member of DP for years, and watched the site really go downhill, especially after Joe opened the store (I think a lot of his customers ended up joining the site). The place is just too crowded, which of course brings in more riffraff. AA is a large site, but has a much better core group of people (outside of the moderating staff) who really help make the forums a pleasure to visit. Bottom line, as long as there is a core group of people over here who enjoy the conversation and keep adding new content to the forums, you shouldn't worry too much about the site growing.

Chris