New job FTW!!!!!

BS about anything you like in here, as long as it's not TOO controversial

Moderators: Rob, Carlos

Carlos

New job FTW!!!!!

Post by Carlos »

As some of you may know, I've been unemployed for the last five months. :BangHead: It's been rough making ends meet and paying the bills, but somehow, I have survived. This morning, I had an interview for a private company that tests, cleans, and refurbs cell phones, pagers, mp3 players, DVD players, VCRs, game consoles, and other electronics for Radio Shack. It's a small, start-up company, but they appeared to be doing a lot of business and I see a lot of potential for growth. Anyway, they seemed impressed with my resume and technical skills and offered me the job this afternoon! Not only that, but I start tomorrow at 8am and start out at decent pay. :2_thumbs_up:

I'm really excited about this opportunity. It seems like a really easy, low stress job. After all the Hell I went through with my last job (coming home pissed off every night, couldn't stop thinking how much I hated my job when I was off, dreading going to work in the morning), this seems like the perfect fit, at least for the time being. If anything, I'll finally be bringing some money in, and hopefully I'll be back on my feet and caught up real soon. Heh, I'm already looking into my first retro console purchase, lol. :Link_slash: or :sonic: . Haven't decided yet. :)

Anyway, I probably won't be on here as much during the day as I have been, for obvious reasons, but I'll be online as often as a can (prolly mostly at night) and you all can still count on me being your friendly neighborhood moderator and forum member. :ryu:

Wish me luck everyone!

Darryl B.

Re: New job FTW!!!!!

Post by Darryl B. »

Very cool, wonder if the employee discounts are good? ;)

Congrats, good luck!
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

gamemaster

Post by gamemaster »

Congrats, good luck!

MaximumRD

Post by MaximumRD »

Congratulations hope it works out!
Oldshool gaming, some people will never "Get it"
Check out my Classic Gaming Videos: RATE ! COMMENT!
http://ca.youtube.com/user/MaximumRD

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Thanks for the well wishes guys!

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Awesome. Hopefully you will be making tons of $$$ and then you can build up your collection again! :occasion14:
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Rob

Post by Rob »

Congrats, and hang in there. Here's hoping I can find some sort of work in the near future, myself. I was let go due to my health problems and haven't had any income for months now, and it's hard to find work in my field without use of all limbs, so it's been tough. Hopefully once I heal up I can find some work out there, but until then I'll have to be a gigolo and live off my girlfriend. :)

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Rob wrote:Congrats, and hang in there. Here's hoping I can find some sort of work in the near future, myself. I was let go due to my health problems and haven't had any income for months now, and it's hard to find work in my field without use of all limbs, so it's been tough. Hopefully once I heal up I can find some work out there, but until then I'll have to be a gigolo and live off my girlfriend. :)
I know how you feel man. My fiance has been paying for everything the last few months, and she's damn near gone bat shit insane from it. I'm just glad I can finally start paying my fair share again.

megasdkirby

Post by megasdkirby »

Congratulations!

I know how it feels...going to a job you can't stand but not being able to leave because of necessity...I feel like this every day, and I don't know how I manage to muster my will and continue working there...

I wish you the best! And like Ter said...now you can get cash to buy games! Of course, save up a few bucks at first...then buy games! :)

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Thanks again for the well wishes and congrats everyone! I really appreciate it.

Well, after my first day on the job, I think I'm gonna like it. The people I work with are very friendly and helpful, and a couple of them are gamers, so that's a plus.

The work itself is very stress free. We have a quota we're supposed to meet each day for testing the electronics, but we have our own workstations and can have food and drink, and radio as long as it's not too loud, and best of all we work at our own pace and don't have management looking over our shoulder and constantly on our ass. Also the schedule will be nice as I'll be working 8-4:30 with Saturday and Sundays off.

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

So three days into the new job, and I absolutely love it. I have my own desk, get to wear jeans, get to work at my own pace, I have no one standing over my shoulder monitoring my every move, and it's amazingly low stress. It's right down the street from me by Addison airport, so it takes me less than ten minutes to get to work and to get home. So awesome! Best of all though, has to be my co-workers. Everyone is very nice, friendly, and helpful. They all have an incredible sense of humor, and a few of them are fellow gamers which is cool. We laugh, cut up, and crack jokes all day long and no one cares as long as we're getting our work done. We all get along great. There was a new guy named Matt that started today. He sits at the desk next me and after we started talking, it turned out we had a lot in common. I'm trying to get a get-together next weekend so we can all hang out outside of work.

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

Freakin' awesome. Dream job :)
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

megasdkirby

Post by megasdkirby »

Carlos wrote:So three days into the new job, and I absolutely love it. I have my own desk, get to wear jeans, get to work at my own pace, I have no one standing over my shoulder monitoring my every move, and it's amazingly low stress. It's right down the street from me by Addison airport, so it takes me less than ten minutes to get to work and to get home. So awesome! Best of all though, has to be my co-workers. Everyone is very nice, friendly, and helpful. They all have an incredible sense of humor, and a few of them are fellow gamers which is cool. We laugh, cut up, and crack jokes all day long and no one cares as long as we're getting our work done. We all get along great. There was a new guy named Matt that started today. He sits at the desk next me and after we started talking, it turned out we had a lot in common. I'm trying to get a get-together next weekend so we can all hang out outside of work.
I envy you man. :)

I wish I am able to find a job like that. I remember when I started working at Sears, everyone hated me, because I was doing very well. Why would they hate me? Because my job is in sales, so the more I sell, the more money I get. So that angered them immensely.

I remember one time, there was somewhat of a conspiracy to get me fired...it backfired, though. But it did affect me emotionally to a degree I never experienced. But thanks to that, I learned some very valuable lessons, specially how people can be mean just for the sake of being so. :(

I hope I can get a job just like the one you have. One where employees appreciate me and everyone is nice and kind. Although a high pay would be nice, I'm just happy being well...happy than now, getting a nice paycheck and hating myself every day, more and more... :(

But anyway, congratulations man. If they have a new spot open, call me. :D

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

If you live close to the Dallas area, I can guarantee you a job. They're hiring like crazy. So easy, a retarded monkey on LSD could do it.

megasdkirby

Post by megasdkirby »

I live in PR... :(

I remember the last computer related job i had...it was at CompUSA as a PC tech. I remember how the manager would tell me to repair at least a computer a day. Everyone would do at least 2-3 a week, while I would do like 7 daily. And it wasn't hard, trust me...the easiest were laptops: most of the times, they were sent to the manufacturer for repair! Barely any actual repair was done on site.

Even when I did everything my manager told me, and plenty more, I was always pushed to do more and felt miserable and a pure nobody. What was funny was when I left, because the manager was basically begging me to stay.

I might complain about Sears, but CompUSA was way worse.

I hope I can land another job as a PC tech, or maybe I may get lucky and be called upon for a teaching position with the government. But in any case, I hope that the next job is as cool as yours. :)