Monstrously rare snow in Houston today

BS about anything you like in here, as long as it's not TOO controversial

Moderators: Rob, Carlos

Darryl B.

Monstrously rare snow in Houston today

Post by Darryl B. »

Wow, it was so rare I saw Charles Gibson mention it on the nationwide news :P How rare WAS it today? Think he said this was only the fourth time it ever snowed here at this time of year in the last FIFTY YEARS.

I'll have pics later (they're ready but Photobucket's screwed up at the moment...for some reason), I did hardly anything at all other than watch it snow, and even when it let down several times, it was still really amazing just to look at it. Yes I know, people who go through this crap every year and have to shovel sidewalks and all, it's no big deal to you, but it is to us here.

It's funny how it would let up, it would start melting on the peoples' garage behind us...and then it started the hell back up. And kept on going and going and going for hours. I started out taking a few pics, but then deleted them from the camera since they were 'outdated' quickly :D Yeah, maybe I should have kept them to show the 'before' and 'after' shots, but I didn't really see the point. Did a couple of brief movies too, but I accidentally deleted one though; oops.

I actually was able to scoop up enough of it to make a snowball and throw it at a stack of logs we have for firewood. Nice and powdery. Really amazing to see that here. We were supposed to get 3-5 inches and we probably did, I haven't heard any totals yet.

Couldn't BELIEVE two guys from TXU Energy came back here ringing the doorbell though...TWICE! They must've moved here from Chicago or something, desperately needed money, and could care less about our pitifull little snow storm. Mom just had to shut the door in their faces the second time, she already TOLD them we had switched and were under contract for a year and weren't going to break it. Sheesh, get lost...

I'd say the pets have been a bit confused too. The birds have been acting weird as well.

I'll have pics later.
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

Darryl B.

Re: Monstrously rare snow in Houston today

Post by Darryl B. »

Ok, finally realized I should try getting into Photobucket in Internet Explorer (yuck), but oh well, it worked...yay!

The only problem with taking pics of it actually snowing is that it looks fake...oh well!

Closeup of chair to show how nice and powdery the snow was...

Note the garbage and recycable recepricals (sp) out in the front yard...if there's ever a day to feel sorry for the city workers...

Check out how incredibly white the roof is on the house at far right...the next door neighbor's garage (should've gotten a picture of that, actually) looked like he had his roof redone with new tiles that were bright white :P

If you look closely, you can see some snowflakes on the dog...couldn't really capture that real well, since digital cameras can't take photos *instantly* (or maybe they're quicker now, our camera's 10 years old), so I couldn't get her to look up in time, even after several photos...plus they were melting anyway

Oh, and it turned out I DID get a 'before' and after photo of the back yard...nice to be wrong occasionally:

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Wow, that was amazing. You hear about global warming everyday, then something like this comes along (and a very mild Summer in NYC this year as well). Great pics, BTW. What temperature was it anyway, and what is normal over there this time of the year?
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Rob

Post by Rob »

Snow?!?!?! It's been in the seventies here the last two days. :(

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

Sorry to hear that Rob. I had seen on another forum about how someone in Jersey was saying yesterday how on earth could it snow here in Texas today when it was only in the 50s there.
Ter wrote:Wow, that was amazing. You hear about global warming everyday, then something like this comes along (and a very mild Summer in NYC this year as well).
Yeah, it's weird...
Ter wrote:Great pics, BTW.
Thanks!
Ter wrote:What temperature was it anyway, and what is normal over there this time of the year?
30-40, I think. And it's not unusual to have temperatures still in the 70s or 80s this time of year. SOMETIMES it actually does get cold, but not too often.

Anyway, I went for my usual walk tonight. (Why was the Baskin and Robbins ice cream store closed early?! Why God, why? ;) ) Still plenty of snow around, might be still some of it tomorrow. I heard at least one area of town got four inches.

Doing a search on YouTube for 'snow in Houston' brought up a bunch of videos that, when sorted by newest, were posted today. How many were there? Dunno, I quit counting after 40, and there were still plenty left. It was obvious what many people did with their time off today here.

I had to drag out a ski mask out of a drawer that I hadn't used since...oh, third grade or something. I should probably wash my hair now, that decrepid thing's going into the wash this weekend :P