Nintendo 64

This era brought us the CD-i, Laser Active, 3DO, Atari Jaguar, Sony PlayStation, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, and others

Moderator: Carlos

TwinChargers

Nintendo 64

Post by TwinChargers »

Would that be included in the 6th generation, or does that fit into the generation labeled 32 bit? Given the fact its cartridge based, I'd consider it more of a "classic" system nowadays, but hey, it's not my forums.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Rob

Re: Nintendo 64

Post by Rob »

Well, it's definitely a classic system in the truest sense of the word, just like I consider the Dreamcast to be classic. It's kind of tricky to stage the shift that occurred in systems at the time... like you had the N64, the PSone, and the Jaguar at the same time. But then comes the Dreamcast, which gets trumped by the PS2. Where does the Dreamcast fit in technically? It was so much more advanced than the N64 and the PSone, but then it couldn't hold a candle to the PS2 tech wise.

To me it's hard to classify certain systems, and especially since it's been too recent to have the benefit of decades of hindsight when it comes to that specific generation.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

TwinChargers wrote:Would that be included in the 6th generation, or does that fit into the generation labeled 32 bit? Given the fact its cartridge based, I'd consider it more of a "classic" system nowadays, but hey, it's not my forums.
I think I have to change the name of 32-bit, because it fits in there more than here. I will mod it now.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

I moved the post too. Just looking to mess around with the controls, I'm a little rusty with forum admin controls so I need practice. :)
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

You know what stinks about the N64? That dumb expansion port. Nintendo put it there knowing it was gonna expand at one point, why not just put it in there to begin with? Maybe it was a cost cutting measure, but its a pain in the arse trying to find one of these things "in the wild" nowadays. A classic game stand in the local mall is selling them for $20!! Its not even the Nintendo brand memory expander, but some off branded one.

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

Strangest thing, but I found that "Memory Expansion Pak" today at a pawn shop for $10. I figured since I was bitching about it earlier this week I have to splurge. Now I can play my Perfect Dark cartridge! From what I've heard it also improves the AI on Golden-Eye, and it helps a lot of games graphics. Are there any other benefits that this Memory Pak has to offer that I'm not aware of?

nathanallan1

Post by nathanallan1 »

iirc, there's Super Mario 64, the Star Wars flying games (speeds them up and they just run smoother), and oddly enough Silicon Valley crashes with the pak in place.

Also iirc, Nintendo made a 2mb expansion and I just got myself a 4mb expansion made by Pelican. No games reall benefit from the extra ram, though, and there's a homebrewed 32mb one for a special cart if I am remembering any of this right. My Pelican one takes over the whole port, you don't even use the stock cover or anything and has little handles on it.

Still have to try that expansion on Battle for Naboo, see if it helps it.
http://www.gamegavel.com RULES!

Covering the world in Genesis goodness!

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

I thought that the Expansion Pak was only used by games that were made after it was released. How did games take advantage of something that they didn't know was going to exist? Also, is there a definative list to the benefits of the Expansion Pak for each game that it helped?