Punch-Out!! Wii

2005 to present, began with the Xbox 360 and continued with the PlayStation 3 and Wii
Zap!
Zap! Commander

Punch-Out!! Wii

Post by Zap! »

Doc Louis has been confirmed! I am sooooooooooo looking forward to this! :king_hippo:

http://gonintendo.com/?p=76321

One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Rob

Re: Punch-Out!! Wii

Post by Rob »

Eagerly awaiting this game.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Rob wrote:Eagerly awaiting this game.
The best part is it has an option to use regular controls. I know you're no fan of motion controls, glad Nintendo is giving up the option.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Rob

Post by Rob »

I just simultaneously pooped my pants, did a double take, snorted Pepsi through my nose, and got struck dumbfounded (I don't know how that happened, but it did!)

This may really be the one that pushes me into buying my own Wii. I have access to one pretty much anytime I want to use it, but this may be what makes me actually fork over the cash for my own (like I haven't given Nintendo enough money over the years).

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Rob wrote:I just simultaneously pooped my pants, did a double take, snorted Pepsi through my nose, and got struck dumbfounded (I don't know how that happened, but it did!)

This may really be the one that pushes me into buying my own Wii. I have access to one pretty much anytime I want to use it, but this may be what makes me actually fork over the cash for my own (like I haven't given Nintendo enough money over the years).
It was one of my favorite games on the NES, so I will be getting this on day one (midnight release if they do it). I want Tyson as an unlockable character.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Two more days! Who's getting it Monday? :littlemac:

gamemaster

Post by gamemaster »

Me 100% love that game :king_hippo:

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

What do you guys think of it?

I got it last week and have been playing it non-stop ever since. I'm glad that Don Flamenco, Soda Popinski, and Super Macho Man made it back.

It's a really fun game, but the Title Defense mode is a pain in the ass. I actually got knocked down twice by Glass Joe (with helmet and new punches), and then actually lost to Mr. Buzzcut Von Kaiser and lost my belt, and had to go back and beat him the second time around to get my belt back! Unacceptable!

Anyone unlock and fight the "secret" Nintendo character yet? :donkeykong_beatingchest:

Rob

Post by Rob »

Same here. Got it last night and I've made it up to Mr. Sandman, haven't beaten him yet.

Who's the secret character and how do you unlock him?

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Rob wrote:Same here. Got it last night and I've made it up to Mr. Sandman, haven't beaten him yet.

Who's the secret character and how do you unlock him?
:donkeykong_beatingchest: :DonkeyKongJr_spin:

After you beat World Circuit, you unlock Title Defense, and after you beat that, you unlock Last Stand, and I think you fight him then. I haven't gotten that far, but that's what I've heard anyway.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Carlos wrote:What do you guys think of it?

I got it last week and have been playing it non-stop ever since. I'm glad that Don Flamenco, Soda Popinski, and Super Macho Man made it back.

It's a really fun game, but the Title Defense mode is a pain in the ass. I actually got knocked down twice by Glass Joe (with helmet and new punches), and then actually lost to Mr. Buzzcut Von Kaiser and lost my belt, and had to go back and beat him the second time around to get my belt back! Unacceptable!

Anyone unlock and fight the "secret" Nintendo character yet? :donkeykong_beatingchest:
I too am up to Von Kaiser the second time around. This is a great game, maybe an 8.5 or a 9. If it had more characters, records saved (like in the SNES version), and online capabilities, it could have been perfect. Still outstanding though.

Rob

Post by Rob »

I'm stuck on the second Von Kaiser myself. It was pretty humiliating to get beat by Glass Joe wearing his headgear. :)

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Up to Piston Hondo the second time around. It was so much fun fighting King Hippo for the second time with that manhole cover! :king_hippo:

Rob

Post by Rob »

Well, I finished both modes and made it to the three "random" characters and Donkey Kong promptly beat my ass into retirement.

Ah well, it was a good run.

Wasn't this guy supposed to be in it? :smb1-small: I thought maybe he would be the guest ref during the DK fight but he never showed.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Fantastic game, but I must nitpick. I'm probably the only person on Earth to be bothered a lot by this, but here goes:

1) I was ecstatic that the jogging scene from Mike Tyson's Punch-Out! made it to this game (pink jogging suit and all), but what good is it when it doesn't even last three seconds? I didn't have time to even get goosebumps.

2) Part of the coolness in this series is that when you win by decision, you get to see your opponent's face in shock when you're declaired the winner. This happened in every PO game. Every one except this one. Why?

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Rob wrote:Well, I finished both modes and made it to the three "random" characters and Donkey Kong promptly beat my ass into retirement.

Ah well, it was a good run.

Wasn't this guy supposed to be in it? :smb1-small: I thought maybe he would be the guest ref during the DK fight but he never showed.
I'm still stuck on Great Tiger for the TD. He is giving me lots of trouble. I have a feeling I'll do better with the ones after him.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Bald Bull was the hardest one for me in TD. Mr. Sandman was a walk in the park afterwards.

I loved the game all week. But now, I really don't see it having that much replay value for me. I never could beat DK once I unlocked him and I just lost interest. Believe it or not I plugged in the NES and had a blast playing the original Punch Out. I think I'll get down with some Super Punch Out tomorrow. :littlemac:

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Rob wrote:Bald Bull was the hardest one for me in TD. Mr. Sandman was a walk in the park afterwards.

I loved the game all week. But now, I really don't see it having that much replay value for me. I never could beat DK once I unlocked him and I just lost interest. Believe it or not I plugged in the NES and had a blast playing the original Punch Out. I think I'll get down with some Super Punch Out tomorrow. :littlemac:
I guess I'm just weird. It literally too me like 40 tries to deafeat Great Tiger TD. TD Bald Bull took me like 5 tries, and Super Macho Man 2 or 3. I'm up to Mr. Sandman now, should beat him tonight.

BTW, is there a way to stop Bald Bull's Bull Charge in TD? I just dodged them all.

Edit: Beat Sandman last night, then lost in the three random matches next (Donkey Kong was second, and although I lost, he didn't seem too hard), and went into retirement. What would have happened had I won all three? Would the ending have been different? And I want that painting at the end!

Rob

Post by Rob »

All I did was dodge Bald Bull. I won by decision on him.

That's the same thing that happened with me. On the three "mystery contenders" the first one was Super Disco Guy or whatever, and I beat him fairly quick. The second was DK and I never beat him, just went into retirement.

Fess up: did anyone else get the special headgear after losing 100 bouts? :)

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

It now appears that we may see a sequel!
Punch-Out!! producer Ken Yeeloy has expressed a desire to develop a sequel to the cartoony Wii boxing game in a recent interview with Official Nintendo Magazine.

While the original Punch-Out!! for Wii established the game's deep connections with the NES original, Yeloy sees a possible sequel as a chance to further "evolve the franchise further and add some cool, new things."

Gameplay lead Bryce Halliday pointed out that things would definitely change in the sequel. "Cooperative, competitive multiplayer support or create-a-boss mode would be places to start but we'd need to come up with a new 'hook' like the motion controllers gave us in this iteration," he said.
http://wii.qj.net/Punch-Out-Wii-dev-wan ... aid/133465