Anyone collect Laserdiscs or vinal records?

BS about anything you like in here, as long as it's not TOO controversial

Moderators: Rob, Carlos

Carlos

Anyone collect Laserdiscs or vinal records?

Post by Carlos »

What's a decent and affordable "starter" model for a Laserdisc player?

Does anyone still make vinal record players? (DJ turntables and that ghetto shit doesn't count).

Darryl B.

Re: Anyone collect Laserdiscs or vinal records?

Post by Darryl B. »

I think the d. j. turntables "count", unless you can't get 'em to hook up to your stereo. Yes, they're still being made, don't know who does though.

I would say I got back into vinyl back in like 2001 or so, but I'm not active in it since I haven't been able to go to a local record convention in the last few years. They hold several shows a year -- every month or two -- and have plenty of albums. I miss going to those, hopefully I'll get back to them soon this year. (I'll make sure to take the camera and post pics so people can see how great they are, for those who have never been to one ;) )
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Carlos wrote:What's a decent and affordable "starter" model for a Laserdisc player?
A Halcyon. :D
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Ter wrote:
Carlos wrote:What's a decent and affordable "starter" model for a Laserdisc player?
A Halcyon. :D
:laughing4:

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Darryl B. wrote:I think the d. j. turntables "count", unless you can't get 'em to hook up to your stereo. Yes, they're still being made, don't know who does though.
I just meant that I just want a nice vinal record player with decent quality sound. Nothing fancy like a crazy turntable.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Techniques makes a great entry level turntable, and can be found for less than a hundred dollars in most cases.

As far as laserdisc players, I've had great luck with Denon and Pioneer. (Denon's are basically rebranded high-end Pioneer players that sold for less than the "real" Pioneer.) Any player you find from .ca 1993-99 is probably going to be a pretty good player. Things to look for though, are S-Video capability and AC-3 sound processing. Not all players had it, but most "name" players did.

gamemaster

Post by gamemaster »

I like sony turntable

laserdisc players Pioneer all the way on this one

Amelyn

Post by Amelyn »

My father must own over 5,000 45-rpm and 33-rpm records. He also have a few 78-rpm along with a gramophone. I have a few record myself and I recently bought a USB turntable so I can digitalize my records. Of course, I had to transfer Jesus Christ Superstar on CD for my dad. Vinyls rules!