Mattel HyperScan

1998-2006, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, Game Cube, etc.

Moderator: Carlos

Jakenut86

Mattel HyperScan

Post by Jakenut86 »

Ok, I have this thing where I have to collect any system that failed! Started out with the Atari Jaguar (the system that killed Atari) then I picked up a Game.com (Tiger's 2nd failed attempt at a cartridge based handheld) and now I got a HyperScan collection going (2 Systems (single and two player versions), X-Men Game Pack, Interstellar Wrestling League Game Pack, Ben 10 Game Pack, Spider Man Booster Pack, 3 Extra Contollers).

I can definitely see why the HyperScan failed! This thing absolutely sucks! I've only tried the X-Men game and it took about a minute to get to the menu. And then another 30 minutes to get to the match. Then after the match was over (which took all of about 1 1/2 - 2 minutes) I had to wait to get to the menu again where I had to get up and scan card again to wait for the next match to start. And the voice acting for the game is horrendous! It sounds like they just hired some random people and had them read lines without giving them any idea of how they should sound. I know I shouldn't base my view on the console on a single game but if this is how all the games are gonna be I'd definitely tell everyone to stay clear of this if they are looking for a system to play.

I'll be playing the other two games soon and will post my thoughts here.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Rob

Re: Mattel HyperScan

Post by Rob »

Let us know, I'm sure we're in for some suckiness :new_shocked:

Jakenut86

Post by Jakenut86 »

Just got done trying out Ben 10.....After 1 minute the main menu.....then 30 seconds to the level select screen....after about 40 seconds waiting for the level to start I gave up counting. Once in the game I noticed the voice acting seems a bit better than in X-men but not much. Also whenever someone is talking the game pauses, this is also true for when hints pop up in the game. And every time you die you must go through it again. So every time you restart a level you'll be skipping through a lot of talking and text. Mod cards can only be used at certain points and the game pretty much tells you what to do so there's no real thought involved (this might change later in the game but I couldn't stand going through any more load screens). After I finished the first level which took not even half the time I spent waiting to play the level I was greeted with another 45 second load screen!!

And another game which shows just how much the HyperScan SUCKS :ARSCH: !!!!
_________________________________________________________________________________

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

That is one hell of an obscure system. No one will remember that in 5-10 years. What is this trend lately with systems being released with younger gamers in mind? Isn't the the V-Smile a flop so far too? None of these systems succeed.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Jakenut86

Post by Jakenut86 »

Yeah it seems like there are quite a few kid based systems being made now. HyperScan, V-Smile, Didj, and probably a lot more. Not sure about all the others but I wouldn't even want to make my kids play the HyperScan! I'm glad I got this stuff cheap cuz after I play test Interstellar Wrestling I'll probably never touch the thing again.

Jakenut86

Post by Jakenut86 »

Just "played" IWL. This game plays almost exactly like X-men except that it has slightly better voice acting and slightly worse character sprites. Load times are just as long as the other two games and the matches are fairly short, so you'll end up looking at the load screen about 2-3 times longer than you actually get to play.

With only 2 games I haven't played I definitely have to figure that the HyperScan is just a crappy system.

RegalSin
Banned

Post by RegalSin »

The idea is to keep kids busy without making them violent. That is all. Basically the adult is in the kitchen, bathroom, or other room watching XXX tapes while the kid is messing around with Hyper scan watching the screen load going....owwweeeee eewwwwoooooww.

Thanks South Park's wording of V-tech. The V-tech tv chip and V-tech game system.
Just walk away and you can live. Just walk away and it all can be over. Dont bother responding.

nathanallan1

Post by nathanallan1 »

The only thing that will keep the Hyperscan in the minds of gamers is if any homebrews come out for it. There's no security of any kind on it, the disks can be copied with any freeware copy program. It uses a really strange language to be programmed in, so that makes it hard.

I have four of these things *waiting* to be hooked up again with a decent game in there. As far as I can see the 3D and 32-bit parts really sucked, but willing to bet that as a 16-bit lookalike it would absolutely rock.

Something I am personally working on is seeing if I can retrofit a better cd-rom onto it. It's kind of on the back burner for now, but still open as far as I am concerned. I'm still intending to work on it.

Oh, the controllers are pretty good given that they have that hollow feeling. Takes a few minutes to get used to, but they actually feel good after a while.
http://www.gamegavel.com RULES!

Covering the world in Genesis goodness!