Virtual Boy

This era brought us the CD-i, Laser Active, 3DO, Atari Jaguar, Sony PlayStation, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, and others

Moderator: Carlos

Carlos

Virtual Boy

Post by Carlos »

Anyone here have or ever own a Virtual Boy? Did it really give people headaches after 15-30 minutes? Are there any games worthy of a Virtual Boy purchase?

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Re: Virtual Boy

Post by Zap! »

SegaBoy wrote:Anyone here have or ever own a Virtual Boy? Did it really give people headaches after 15-30 minutes? Are there any games worthy of a Virtual Boy purchase?
I had it, and was forced to sell it last February when there was a fire at my job and I was out of work for a while. Damn, I hate tough times. :(
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Rob

Post by Rob »

I bought one off Craigslist for ten bucks a couple of years back- the bastard doesn't work though.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Rob wrote:I bought one off Craigslist for ten bucks a couple of years back- the bastard doesn't work though.
How so? Could it be a power issue? Does it turn on with batteries?
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Rob

Post by Rob »

Neither. It just won't power on.

Erosion_Of_Sanity

Post by Erosion_Of_Sanity »

Almost bought one back in '95 (I remember Toys 'R Us" had them on sale for $14.99 lmao); I think I bought some Saturn games instead. The AVGN video for this is hilarious lol.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

megasdkirby

Post by megasdkirby »

Dom still has his, two actually.

He has a complete US set, the last game being obtained my Mr. Bogumil.

I like the console, but not many games were great to begin with. I HATE Teleroboxer...loved Red Alarm and the Wario game...totally dissed Waterworld.

Panic Bomber was great, though.

deltoidsteep

Post by deltoidsteep »

i havent gotten too many headaches playing mine, and there are definitely some solid games for it. one that i havent had teh chance to play though is 3d tetris. anybody know if its worth the big money to buy?

MaximumRD

Post by MaximumRD »

Never had or tired one personally, at least that I can recall. Have heard so much about it over the years though I would like to try one.
Oldshool gaming, some people will never "Get it"
Check out my Classic Gaming Videos: RATE ! COMMENT!
http://ca.youtube.com/user/MaximumRD

Kevins89notch5.0

Post by Kevins89notch5.0 »

Played it at Toys-R-Us back in the day and hated it.

megasdkirby

Post by megasdkirby »

IMO, the system has potential.

All it needed was a cheaper price tag, a better desing (an actual lightweight helmet would have done wonders for portability), and a better selection of games. FPS games like DOOM would have been great on it (released in the US market).

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

megasdkirby wrote:IMO, the system has potential.

All it needed was a cheaper price tag, a better desing (an actual lightweight helmet would have done wonders for portability), and a better selection of games. FPS games like DOOM would have been great on it (released in the US market).
Yeah, the VB wasn't that bad. I wish someone would make something similar, but full color. Nothing too fancy with the graphics, I just want color and more storage. A HD would be nice too.Image

Golden Beast Studios

Post by Golden Beast Studios »

I used to have a Virtual Boy, I got it at a flea market with Mario Tennis for $20. I had it for about 4 months, but every time I played it I felt like I was gonna die lol. I managed to sell it for $100, so I guess it worked out :P I'd love to see something similar that isn't panic inducing! :virtualboy:
Check out our games at www.goldenbeaststudios.com

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

I think the headache thing depends on the person. I probably wouldn't get one since I almost never get headaches. Might get some eyestrain though, like when my eyes felt like they'd pop when I first got and started playing Bedlam for the Vectrex, once I got to those rotating levels! :P

I've yet to play a VB though.
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

megasdkirby

Post by megasdkirby »

Darryl B. wrote:I think the headache thing depends on the person. I probably wouldn't get one since I almost never get headaches. Might get some eyestrain though, like when my eyes felt like they'd pop when I first got and started playing Bedlam for the Vectrex, once I got to those rotating levels! :P

I've yet to play a VB though.
I never got a headache...at least one I could remember.

I will admit that my face would be prone to rash, though. My face is sensitive as it is, and having that foam eye thing to eliminate outside light made things worse for my face. Specially since the unit was shared by many.

I would love if someone could reverse engineer the thing and release it as a portable...or as a regular pair of glasses.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

megasdkirby wrote:I never got a headache...at least one I could remember.

I will admit that my face would be prone to rash, though. My face is sensitive as it is, and having that foam eye thing to eliminate outside light made things worse for my face. Specially since the unit was shared by many.

I would love if someone could reverse engineer the thing and release it as a portable...or as a regular pair of glasses.
I never got a headache either. I actually liked the system a lot. I was forced to sell last year during hard times, but I will get another one again real soon. I'd love to see a full color one made, and somewhat portable (strap-on headset). :virtualboy:

megasdkirby

Post by megasdkirby »

Agreed. And with today's technology, I bet it can be done relatively cheaply, maybe with PSTwo type graphics. Lightweight and comfortable.

Wouldn't mine one for around $200 :)

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

I really wonder if anything similar will ever be done again. I really could see a smaller company producing a full color one with better graphics, but at this point I think it's unlikely a major company will invest money in a similar project. I wonder what would have happened had the VB been a big success. Would Nintendo have made a successor? Would Sony and Sega (or any other gaming company in the mid 90's) made similar systems? Or was it to remain unique no matter what?

Rob

Post by Rob »

I just got a working one off craigslist for 40.00. Came with Mario Tennis, too.

I've been playing it for a few days and it's really a fun game. I don't know much about the other carts but Mario Tennis at least is a blast, well worth what I payed for it. It was missing the stand and the controller, which I took off of my broken unit. Works great, no headaches yet and I've probably logged about five hours on it intermittently.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Good for you, glad you enjoy it. I had a VB and loved that game. I didn't play much else, but I have a couple of sealed games I never opened.