1st or 3rd person person shooters

1998-2006, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, Game Cube, etc.

Moderator: Carlos

TwinChargers

1st or 3rd person person shooters

Post by TwinChargers »

I'd say that this generation is where this genre of games really shines. Sure you had some on the prior gen, but it was obvious that graphically they were just getting there feet wet. What are some of your favs from this time period, or if this isn't a genre you care for, gripe away about its flaws.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

MaximumRD

Re: 1st or 3rd person person shooters

Post by MaximumRD »

Strangely even though not exactly current I loved DARKWATCH on PS2, one of the few FPS games I have completed...
Oldshool gaming, some people will never "Get it"
Check out my Classic Gaming Videos: RATE ! COMMENT!
http://ca.youtube.com/user/MaximumRD

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

I enjoyed Star Wars Battlefront, could anybody recommend Battlefront 2? Is it very different? Is there enough new stuff to warrant a purchase of the sequel? I've read there is some overlap of the levels between the two. Are there many more levels for BF2?

Rob

Post by Rob »

I can't think of any FPS that really grabbed me. As a genre I just don't care for it.

I did play the hell out of Goldeneye when I was younger, though.

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

I still remember playing my very first first person shooter, it was Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold. It was so cool blasting a bad guy and seeing them blow up in the most violent fashion and seeing there bloody remains just sitting on the ground. Not too long after did I play Heretic, Doom, Wolfenstien, Rise of the Triad and so many others.

Can't remember when exactly I played my first FPS on a console though... maybe Duke Nukem 3D on the Playstation? Its a genre I've enjoyed, but oddly enough I never got too into Goldeneye. Probably cause I didn't get a N64 'til about 2 years ago though.

megasdkirby

Post by megasdkirby »

I think I am the only one that prefers oldie FPS games like Doom and Wolfenstein instead of FPS games of today... :(

Powerstroke

Post by Powerstroke »

Ill bite! SInce this is in the 6th gen forum, Id say a very memorable and quality FPS was Red Faction. I absolutely loved that game. I know it was on the ps2 but not sure about any other systems.

As far as shooters when...id have to say one of my favorite of all time was a 3rd person shooter, Socom 2. It ranks up there (the online at least) in my top 5 of all time easily.

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

How were the Call of Duty games for this generation? I'm not into the multiplayer aspect of the games, the single player campaigns are what I'm into. Its a wildly popular game for the current gen, just curious how they played prior to this.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Duke Nuke'Em 3-D still does it for me!
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Arkhan

Post by Arkhan »

Outrigger for Dreamcast was a game that continues to kick ass until today.

Also, Shogo.

both games took a slightly different approach to FPS and that uniqueness makes them stand out
"I FEEL ASLEEP"
--Guard from Metal Gear
--Aetherbyte Studios: PC Engine and more homebrew!