New Wii due by 2011

Wii U, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Ouya
Zap!
Zap! Commander

New Wii due by 2011

Post by Zap! »

What They Play has heard from multiple sources in the game development and publishing community that Nintendo is currently showing early presentations of its next home console hardware. Apparently set to hit the market “by 2011” the new device is said to be the true “next generation” Nintendo console, and far more than a simple refresh of the current hardware. Unlike previous console transitions from Nintendo, the new system will be presented as a true successor to the Wii, and is being dubbed by those that have seen the presentation as “Wii HD.” There is no indication if this will be its eventual name, but the nature of the transition has been characterized as similar to “the shift from Game Boy to Game Boy Advance,” where familiar, key elements were left intact while the core hardware was made more powerful. It is expected by all those that we have spoken to on the subject that the new device will retain the Wii name in part.

While our sources are reluctant to be too specific about “Wii HD,” they have been able to divulge some (albeit predictable) generalizations. High definition visuals are assured, as is a greater emphasis on digitally distributed and backwardly compatible content, indicating that the new system will feature some form of local storage medium such as a hard drive or large flash memory solution. It has also been indicated that Nintendo’s emphasis is again on what the consumer will hold in their hands and interact with, rather than the “console” itself.

Nintendo has proven it can be extremely successful by leveraging processor technology that is not on the bleeding edge, and be more profitable and more innovative as a result. In a 2006 interview with Business Week, Nintendo visionary Shigeru Miyamoto stated, “The consensus [at Nintendo] was that power isn't everything for a console. Too many powerful consoles can't coexist. It's like having only ferocious dinosaurs. They might fight and hasten their own extinction.” Based on our conversations about “Wii HD” this attitude would seem to still prevail.

But why should you believe this? Everything stated so far could easily have been the result of educated guesswork or speculation. While a Nintendo representative provided the expected response that, “Nintendo does not comment on speculation or rumor,” there is additional evidence, outside this commentary, to suggest that something is going on.
http://www.whattheyplay.com/blog/2008/0 ... e-by-2011/
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

megasdkirby

Re: New Wii due by 2011

Post by megasdkirby »

To be perfectly honest, Nintendo has no need to implement a new console anytime soon.

The Wii is selling like mad, and even though I still don't know WHY, it's still a huge money maker.

I'm still wondering why Nintendo released a new version of the DS when the DS Lite was selling like mad...

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

megasdkirby wrote:To be perfectly honest, Nintendo has no need to implement a new console anytime soon.

The Wii is selling like mad, and even though I still don't know WHY, it's still a huge money maker.

I'm still wondering why Nintendo released a new version of the DS when the DS Lite was selling like mad...
I hope it's a true successor and not the "Wii 2". I'd like to see full 1080p, 300 gig HD, and media being in the 50 gig range.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

The Wii can't even play DVDs, can it? Because mom was having trouble with it the other week when I got a disc out of it but she had put in a dvd by mistake, since she wasn't paying attention (insert eye-rolling smiley here). And after I got it out, I thought "wait, that thing can't play dvd's?!"

So yeah, the new one needs to do that, at least, and/or blue ray.
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Darryl B. wrote:The Wii can't even play DVDs, can it? Because mom was having trouble with it the other week when I got a disc out of it but she had put in a dvd by mistake, since she wasn't paying attention (insert eye-rolling smiley here). And after I got it out, I thought "wait, that thing can't play dvd's?!"

So yeah, the new one needs to do that, at least, and/or blue ray.
No, but the games are on DVD so go figure. Apparently, it's just a mere software update, but Nintendo isn't doing it because they either think it's unnecessary (since most people already own a DVD who also own a Wii, or because maybe they have to pay royalties to someone if they upgrade it. Who knows, I just can't wait for the next Nintendo. Any predictions?

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

None from me, no. I have no idea what they're up to there.

Weird that it doesn't play *regular* dvds though.
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

Rob

Post by Rob »

I predict that after six months of the new Nintendo console being on the market, I'll finally get around to owning an original Wii. :)

I'm serious, the PS2 is the only console since the Genesis that I bought during its original run, and I've only had it for two years. I always seem to appreciate a system only when it's on its deathbed.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Rob wrote:I predict that after six months of the new Nintendo console being on the market, I'll finally get around to owning an original Wii. :)

I'm serious, the PS2 is the only console since the Genesis that I bought during its original run, and I've only had it for two years. I always seem to appreciate a system only when it's on its deathbed.
I only have to get certain systems right away. I got the Wii the day it came out, but got the PS3 this February. If Atari or Sega were ever to come out with systems again, I'd wait on line for three hours in the freezing cold the day it's released. Other systems I'll wait on.