One Must Fall 2097

Who says a game has to be from a commercial company to be good? For those with an anti-corporate leaning, there's nothing like a game from an amateur programmer, especially long after the system has been supported.

Moderator: Darryl B.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

One Must Fall 2097

Post by Zap! »

Anyone remember this? It was a Street Fighter II type game, but instead featured giant robots that you control. It was shareware (a la Wolfenstein 3D), and truely was fantastic. No idea why it wasn't ported to consoles, it could have been a huge hit.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

megasdkirby

Re: One Must Fall 2097

Post by megasdkirby »

I remember I always wanted to play this, but the machine I had at the time was terribly underpowered.

When I was finally able to get a newer, more powerful machine, it wasn't compatible. And I wasn't as "techie" as I am now.

So what is holding me back now? Pure lazyness, I admit. That, and also because for some reason, DOSBOX is terribly slow on my PC. So the cycle repeats itself.

I could just take my old P3 or AMD K6 machine and make it a DOS BOX, but I am...well...lazy... :)

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

megasdkirby wrote:I remember I always wanted to play this, but the machine I had at the time was terribly underpowered.

When I was finally able to get a newer, more powerful machine, it wasn't compatible. And I wasn't as "techie" as I am now.

So what is holding me back now? Pure lazyness, I admit. That, and also because for some reason, DOSBOX is terribly slow on my PC. So the cycle repeats itself.

I could just take my old P3 or AMD K6 machine and make it a DOS BOX, but I am...well...lazy... :)
Wow, you really missed a helluva game. One of the true great shareware games of the 90's I played this for hours upon hours in 1997.

How about this, do you remember the original One Must Fall? I barely do, but if I remember right, it sucked. Sometimes the first game (or movie or whatever) can be horrible, and the sequel can be amazing. Street Fighter II anyone? :chun-li:
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

I remember having the shareware version of this on a CD that also had Duke Nukem II, Blake Stone, Jazz Jackrabbit, Tubes, Wacky Wheels... other Apogee classics. Played the heck outta that disc. OMF 2097 was a great game, but at the time I was all about Blake Stone. Bought both "Aliens of Gold" and its sequel "Planet Strike".
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

TwinChargers wrote:I remember having the shareware version of this on a CD that also had Duke Nukem II, Blake Stone, Jazz Jackrabbit, Tubes, Wacky Wheels... other Apogee classics. Played the heck outta that disc. OMF 2097 was a great game, but at the time I was all about Blake Stone. Bought both "Aliens of Gold" and its sequel "Planet Strike".
Wow, you're bringing back lots of memories. I used to love early-mid 90's shareware games. Commander Keen's were a great series. There was also Jill of the Jungle, remember that one? Some really old CGA (I think it was CGA) ones were Artic Adventure and...I can't remember, but it was another in the Artic Adventure series. Starred Nevada Smith or something.

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

Ter wrote:
TwinChargers wrote:I remember having the shareware version of this on a CD that also had Duke Nukem II, Blake Stone, Jazz Jackrabbit, Tubes, Wacky Wheels... other Apogee classics. Played the heck outta that disc. OMF 2097 was a great game, but at the time I was all about Blake Stone. Bought both "Aliens of Gold" and its sequel "Planet Strike".
Wow, you're bringing back lots of memories. I used to love early-mid 90's shareware games. Commander Keen's were a great series. There was also Jill of the Jungle, remember that one? Some really old CGA (I think it was CGA) ones were Artic Adventure and...I can't remember, but it was another in the Artic Adventure series. Starred Nevada Smith or something.
Vaguely remember Jill of the Jungle. I think the other game your thinking of is Pharaohs Tomb.

I remember a few command games, late 80's early 90's, where you played a character named Hugo. I remember there was one where you were at a haunted mansion and one where you were in the jungle. Good stuff, just wish I could remember more.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

TwinChargers wrote:
Ter wrote:
Vaguely remember Jill of the Jungle. I think the other game your thinking of is Pharaohs Tomb.

I remember a few command games, late 80's early 90's, where you played a character named Hugo. I remember there was one where you were at a haunted mansion and one where you were in the jungle. Good stuff, just wish I could remember more.
Yes, that's it! Pharaoh's Tomb, what an amazing simple game. Were there any others in that series?

I remember Hugo. Please tell me you remember Dangerous Dave, one of my favorites of all.

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

I can't remember Dangerous Dave off-hand, I'm gonna have to look it up and see if it jogs any memories.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

TwinChargers wrote:I can't remember Dangerous Dave off-hand, I'm gonna have to look it up and see if it jogs any memories.
I just created a thread about Dangerous Dave here.

Egoryshkawe
Banned

Post by Egoryshkawe »

Very good and informative exchange .. Thank you!