IGN's top 25 video game consoles of all-time

Anything gaming-related that doesn't fit anywhere else, or covers a wide span of years not specific to the other forums

Moderators: megasdkirby, Carlos, Darryl B.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

IGN's top 25 video game consoles of all-time

Post by Zap! »

One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Darryl B.

Re: IGN's top 25 video game consoles of all-time

Post by Darryl B. »

Pretty cool, I missed this the first time around, only just now looked through a bit of it when I was going to bump up my Retro Arcade post. Haaah, probably one of the few "best" lists where the Jaguar and the 3D0 are on it ;) Seriously, it's good to see them there though, too many people forget (or are just biased from it) that the Jaguar WAS actually good, it was just hampered by shovelware that was fine on the 16 bit systems, but NOT Jaguar-worthy (Genesis Flashback on the Jag anyone? Feh!), and the 3D0 had so many problems with it's image and all (too expensive, not a lot of killer games/exclusives, all kinds of adapters to get extras to work or they didn't come out at all) it wasn't even funny.

A few points are arguable too, like how the NES could be on top of the 2600, considering how hard the 2600 was to program for, yet there were still tons of innovations that came out with it over the years, it was one of the earliest programmable systems ever, it was amazing how it's endured and how many things were done with it, etc., etc. But then, that happens with ANY kind of 'top ____' list anyhow :)
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Darryl B. wrote:Pretty cool, I missed this the first time around, only just now looked through a bit of it when I was going to bump up my Retro Arcade post. Haaah, probably one of the few "best" lists where the Jaguar and the 3D0 are on it ;) Seriously, it's good to see them there though, too many people forget (or are just biased from it) that the Jaguar WAS actually good, it was just hampered by shovelware that was fine on the 16 bit systems, but NOT Jaguar-worthy (Genesis Flashback on the Jag anyone? Feh!), and the 3D0 had so many problems with it's image and all (too expensive, not a lot of killer games/exclusives, all kinds of adapters to get extras to work or they didn't come out at all) it wasn't even funny.

A few points are arguable too, like how the NES could be on top of the 2600, considering how hard the 2600 was to program for, yet there were still tons of innovations that came out with it over the years, it was one of the earliest programmable systems ever, it was amazing how it's endured and how many things were done with it, etc., etc. But then, that happens with ANY kind of 'top ____' list anyhow :)
With the NES or 2600, it really can go either way. Although both the NES and 2600 were very popular (and so were the Playstation 1 and 2, and now the Wii), the NES did something that none of the systems I just mentioned did: Sheer and utter domination. At one point it controlled 90% of the market. Imagine how the SMS, 7800, and XE-GS were all a combined 10%! Even the PS1 never got anywhere near that. If fact, I doubt it even got to 50%. For that reason alone, I'd give it to the NES.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

I'm guessing that the 2600 had over 90% of the market in the late 70's and very early 80's.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

TwinChargers wrote:I'm guessing that the 2600 had over 90% of the market in the late 70's and very early 80's.
Well, yeah but it's a bit different when things are new and there's no real competition. The Fairchild Channel F actually had 100% of the market in 1976, until the RCA Studio II came out. In my opinion, getting 90% of the market in the late 80's is far more impressive.