Sports Titles

Anything gaming-related that doesn't fit anywhere else, or covers a wide span of years not specific to the other forums

Moderators: megasdkirby, Carlos, Darryl B.

TwinChargers

Sports Titles

Post by TwinChargers »

Anybody else here a sports fan like me?

I know where ever there are video games sold, theres sure to be a few bargain sports titles there also. I know most gamers, especially "classic" gamers, hate sport titles with a passion. I'm really not too bothered by them. I have almost each one of the Genesis NHL titles. I used to be a sucker for buying each year of Madden until a few years ago. If I see a baseball title for a buck, heck I'll pick it up. I like looking at old rosters and playing favorite teams of yester-year. I even own both the Xbox and PS2 version of NFL 2k5 cause I think its just that great of a game.

So, what are your guys views on sports titles?
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Re: Sports Titles

Post by Zap! »

TwinChargers wrote:Anybody else here a sports fan like me?

I know where ever there are video games sold, theres sure to be a few bargain sports titles there also. I know most gamers, especially "classic" gamers, hate sport titles with a passion. I'm really not too bothered by them. I have almost each one of the Genesis NHL titles. I used to be a sucker for buying each year of Madden until a few years ago. If I see a baseball title for a buck, heck I'll pick it up. I like looking at old rosters and playing favorite teams of yester-year. I even own both the Xbox and PS2 version of NFL 2k5 cause I think its just that great of a game.

Moved to a new forum I just created.

I like sports games, I didn't know "classic" gamers hated them. I prefer the "fun" types over the EASN "realistic" ones. Give me RBI Baseball or Double Dribble over anything available today. However, I'm not crazy about VERY old classic sports titles. I need something with a little more dept than Home Run.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

Ter wrote:
TwinChargers wrote:Anybody else here a sports fan like me?

Moved to a new forum I just created.

I like sports games, I didn't know "classic" gamers hated them. I prefer the "fun" types over the EASN "realistic" ones. Give me RBI Baseball or Double Dribble over anything available today. However, I'm not crazy about VERY old classic sports titles. I need something with a little more dept than Home Run.
Maybe not so much "classic" gamers hate sports titles, gamers that are also kind of collectors for certain systems don't particularly care for the sports titles as much. It just seems like people at Digital Space and Atari Age kind of look down upon the sports titles. Perhaps its because sometimes a series will just provide a roster update from year to year and nothing else in terms of changes. Maybe gamers aren't typically sports fans.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I'm a big fan of non-licensed/non "real-league" sports games. I love games like Mutant League Football/Hockey :headbang: , Saturday Night Slam Masters, RBI Baseball, Baseball Stars, Bases Loaded, Baseball Simulator 1.000, Super Baseball 2020, Double Dribble, to name a few.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

SegaBoy wrote:I'm a big fan of non-licensed/non "real-league" sports games. I love games like Mutant League Football/Hockey :headbang: , Saturday Night Slam Masters, RBI Baseball, Baseball Stars, Bases Loaded, Baseball Simulator 1.000, Super Baseball 2020, Double Dribble, to name a few.
But RBI Baseball DOES have real players and leages, and IS licensed...
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Yeah, it was. Hmmm...I must be thinking of something else.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

SegaBoy wrote:Yeah, it was. Hmmm...I must be thinking of something else.
Bases Loaded? Tecmo Baseball? I loved that game.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Man, I love RBI Baseball. The NES titles were a blast. I also like any baseball games following that template of play.

Having said that, I absolutely LOATHE most sports games. I'm like Ter, I like the old school NES era "fun" sports games. I don't care for any of the 2600 or Intellivision era sports games, too primitive. I don't care for 98% of the 16 Bit Era sports titles, that was when they went from "fun" to "trying to be realistic but hampered by technology". Now the games look just like you're watching ESPN- a channel I don't have any interest in viewing.

Possible theories as to why "classic" or "traditional" gamers don't get into sports games: most of the guys that are into our niche are the guys that are frowning on the "hardcore" gamers that buy consoles to play 1. Madden 2. GTA 3. Any FPS. Those are the same guys that scratch their heads in beffudlement when you propose playing something that doesn't involve shooting, raping, or football. "Kingdom Hearts? Hell, naw dog, we got mufukkin 50 Cent: Blood in da Sand!"

Theory 2: most of the guys that are into classic gaming are huge nerds that don't like sports in real life and could think of a million different ways they'd rather spend their virtual life. I fall into this category. :atari2600:

TheSSNintendo

Post by TheSSNintendo »

I'm a fan of older sports games. Titles like Tecmo Super Bowl (NES & SNES), Tecmo Super Baseball (SNES), Ken Griffey Jr. Presents MLB, and the Mutant League series were a few of my favorites. I remember back in the summer of '01, I played Tecmo Super Baseball on an emulator, and went 127-35 with the Orioles, winning the World Series against Montreal. Pretty good, considering I started off the season at 2-9.