Why don't they make a new 2D game with 3D graphics?

Anything gaming-related that doesn't fit anywhere else, or covers a wide span of years not specific to the other forums

Moderators: megasdkirby, Carlos, Darryl B.

Golden Beast Studios

Why don't they make a new 2D game with 3D graphics?

Post by Golden Beast Studios »

I don't know why there isn't any company (at least that I'm aware of) that has made a 2D game with 3D graphics in recent history. What gives? When I say 3D graphics, I mean games like Donkey Kong Country and Mortal Kombat. With all the advances in digital photography and 3D animation, there's potential for a eye popping run & gun type game. Am I the only one that's looking for a title like this to come out on a next gen console?
Check out our games at www.goldenbeaststudios.com

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Re: Why don't they make a new 2D game with 3D graphics?

Post by Zap! »

Golden Beast Studios wrote:I don't know why there isn't any company (at least that I'm aware of) that has made a 2D game with 3D graphics in recent history. What gives? When I say 3D graphics, I mean games like Donkey Kong Country and Mortal Kombat. With all the advances in digital photography and 3D animation, there's potential for a eye popping run & gun type game. Am I the only one that's looking for a title like this to come out on a next gen console?
Is there any example of a "2D game with 3D graphics" you can compare it to? I'm not exactly sure I understand what you mean.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Golden Beast Studios

Basically just a traditional sprite driven game where 3D models or digital photographs are used for the sprites. Other examples of this are: Clay Fighters, Claymates, Primal Rage, Donkey Kong Country, Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter the Movie the Game (that game sucks but still counts lol). It's just a very neglected visual style. Genuine 3D models are cool and have opeded up all kinds of new possibilities for games in general, but 3D is often thrust on games where it isn't really needed. The majority of 2D games nowadays are done with flash, which is cost effective, but isn't really the best in terms of proper "pencil test" type animation. Earthworm Jim is a good example of Pencil Test 2D animation, but that's a whole other can of... worms lol. Some of these screen shots don't really do the games justice :P
Attachments
mortal Kombat.jpg
mortal Kombat.jpg (232.22 KiB) Viewed 10861 times
claymates.gif
claymates.gif (14.48 KiB) Viewed 10861 times
clayfighter.jpg
clayfighter.jpg (12 KiB) Viewed 10861 times

Golden Beast Studios

and a few more...
Attachments
streetfighterthermovethegame.jpg
streetfighterthermovethegame.jpg (32.7 KiB) Viewed 10855 times
Donkey-Kong-Country.jpg
Donkey-Kong-Country.jpg (85.29 KiB) Viewed 10855 times
Primal Rage.jpg
Primal Rage.jpg (22.95 KiB) Viewed 10855 times

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

LOL @ Street Fighter: The Movie

Golden Beast Studios

Well, Street Fighter the movie was bad, but they added insult to injury with the game lol.

RegalSin
Banned

Post by RegalSin »

It is called a pre-rendered game. Basically this is a 3d game and not a 2d game. The reason for this is that the current games on PS3, Wii, and 360 is on systems that is too powerfull. In general only home brewers is going to release such a game like "Super fighter team" for example. Maybe we could get together and make such a game.

The point is people are too afraid to venture in that area. However games like Odin Sphere, MMX PSP, and Viewtiful Joe should suit your needs. Also this is not Japan.

In Japan and Korea there is many games in pre-rendered format. most people here are too stupid to put together such a game nowadays..

Claymates is a 2d game also.
Just walk away and you can live. Just walk away and it all can be over. Dont bother responding.

Golden Beast Studios

Pre-rendered, THAT's the term. I'm not sure what the rest of your comment means though, one sentence says "Basically this is a 3d game and not a 2d game" and then the last is "Claymates is a 2d game also." Sighting Claymates specifically, the characters are pre-rendered and the backgrounds are presumily photoshop (or something comparable). I suppose that would make it a pre-rendered/traditional hybrid. Technically, most of these game are hybrids (Mortal Kombat uses photoshop for their backgrounds as well).

My general point is that the resolution of next consoles can facilitate some ultra-detailed, photo-realistic characters and backgrounds, as opposed to the current the trend of strictly 3D models and 2D "cards" for titles like Street Fighter 4. Hopefully I'm making sense :P

Rob

Post by Rob »

Golden Beast, don't feed the trolls. ;)

Golden Beast Studios

Trolls?

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Golden Beast Studios wrote:Trolls?
Not you, he means the other guy (the troll). :D
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

RegalSin
Banned

Post by RegalSin »

OKay I just went threw the games. I take it back. All these games uses the method of Camera with clay. Mortal Kombat uses real people. This was a method of getting real world objects into videogames.

These are example of first generation pre-render games but is not called pre-renderedd. While it falls under the same class it extremely differnt. I forget but there was a special on the subject on a television show. I forget the name of the show but showed how they did it.

It has to do with a camera.

Clayfighter, Clayfighter 2, Claymates, and mortal Kombat, StreetFIghter the Movie, and so forth.

Are all the first generation of taking real world objects. This was a method used during the mid 1990's with many things. You can do it to. Just make a false blue screen and take images of yourself in front of a camera or digital camera.

In fact A guy did for a characterin Mugen where he put took many images of himself andd turned himself into a fighter character.

Also Tales Of Phantasia's grass land fight scene did this too.
Golden Beast, don't feed the trolls. ;)
Darn sarnit the guy is trying find out the term for games like these. While it is considered a pre-rendering it is not since there was nothing pre about it. These use real world items and morphs them into computer images.

Honeslty I don't know what it is called but it is not pre-rendered.
Just walk away and you can live. Just walk away and it all can be over. Dont bother responding.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Golden Beast Studios wrote:Trolls?
Yeah, not you, Regalsin. He intentionally posts gibberish in order to start a confrontation. His trollism sometimes isn't as obvious as others. :)