What's the rarest classic game you own?

Anything gaming-related that doesn't fit anywhere else, or covers a wide span of years not specific to the other forums

Moderators: megasdkirby, Carlos, Darryl B.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

What's the rarest classic game you own?

Post by Zap! »

Posting this in Classic Gaming General, because it covers a wide span. For me it's Crazy Climber and Swordquest: Waterworld for the 2600. Nothing crazy rare. :atari2600:
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

TwinChargers

Re: What's the rarest classic game you own?

Post by TwinChargers »

I have Master Builder for the 2600. Either an R7 or an R8 depending on what rarity guide you look at.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Rob

Post by Rob »

Atari 2600: Swordquest: WW, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, Beat Em and Eat Em, the Evil Dead II homebrew, a couple of others I can't think of right now that are rated 4 and 5 at Atari Age. I used to have Chase The Chuckwagon but I traded it for a Vectrex 3D Imager and light pen.

Vectrex: Mr. Boston (Clean Sweep). Boxed, with overlay, missing instruction book.

Famicom: Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti.

NES: Chiller, Bubble Bath Babes, Gyromite with Famicom Pin Adapter, complete Stack Up set

Odyssey 2: complete Quest For The Rings factory sealed

Super NES: Starfox 2, Ghoul Patrol, Super Chavez

Sega Genesis: Zombies Ate My Neighbors European NTSC release

I also have the entire libraries for the Entex Adventure Vision, Action Max, Astrocade, and APF Imagination.

So on the whole, I don't have any Indiana Jones style lost arks, but there's a few that worth a pretty good bit and some that are uncommon, but not insanely rare. I guess the rarest would be the Mr. Boston Cart, I've seen boxed copies going for close to two grand. A sealed "Quest for the Rings" went for about 700 Bucks on Ebay back when the LOTR trilogy was still hot, but I doubt I could get that much for it now. Boxed Stack-Ups go for around five hundred most of the time.

I never really went out of my way to get rare games, unless it's a game I really wanted to play. Radiant Silvergun is probably the one rare game I'd go out of my way to get, but I'm not paying 100.00 for it. I just want to play the damn thing.

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Rob wrote:Atari 2600: Swordquest: WW, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, Beat Em and Eat Em, the Evil Dead II homebrew, a couple of others I can't think of right now that are rated 4 and 5 at Atari Age. I used to have Chase The Chuckwagon but I traded it for a Vectrex 3D Imager and light pen.

Vectrex: Mr. Boston (Clean Sweep). Boxed, with overlay, missing instruction book.

Famicom: Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti.

NES: Chiller, Bubble Bath Babes, Gyromite with Famicom Pin Adapter, complete Stack Up set

Odyssey 2: complete Quest For The Rings factory sealed

Super NES: Starfox 2, Ghoul Patrol, Super Chavez

Sega Genesis: Zombies Ate My Neighbors European NTSC release

I also have the entire libraries for the Entex Adventure Vision, Action Max, Astrocade, and APF Imagination.

So on the whole, I don't have any Indiana Jones style lost arks, but there's a few that worth a pretty good bit and some that are uncommon, but not insanely rare. I guess the rarest would be the Mr. Boston Cart, I've seen boxed copies going for close to two grand. A sealed "Quest for the Rings" went for about 700 Bucks on Ebay back when the LOTR trilogy was still hot, but I doubt I could get that much for it now. Boxed Stack-Ups go for around five hundred most of the time.

I never really went out of my way to get rare games, unless it's a game I really wanted to play. Radiant Silvergun is probably the one rare game I'd go out of my way to get, but I'm not paying 100.00 for it. I just want to play the damn thing.
I thought StarFox 2 never came out on SNES, and was scrapped for Star Fox 64. Do you have a prototype or something?

Erosion_Of_Sanity

Post by Erosion_Of_Sanity »

I don't own any super rare titles, but I do own a fully functioning Sega Saturn and ten or so games.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jakenut86

Post by Jakenut86 »

Ok I don't have any really rare games but here are the rarest one I have:

2600 - Plaque Attack (5)

Jaguar - Attack of The Mutant Penguins (7)

Game.com - all these get rated a 1 or 2 besides Wheel of Fortune 2 which I don't have (4) so they are all very common

PS1 - Philosoma (5)

Genesis - Gunstar Heroes (3)

N64 - Road Rash 64 (4)
_________________________________________________________________________________

Rob

Post by Rob »

SegaBoy wrote: I thought StarFox 2 never came out on SNES, and was scrapped for Star Fox 64. Do you have a prototype or something?

No, there was a fellow a few years back that was making carts from scratch. What a lot of people don't realize is that the game was 100% complete, but it just sat on the shelf because SF 64 was in the works. The rom for the game eventually surfaced, and one guy was burning Eeeproms onto carts and using the proposed original artwork for the label. Technically it's a homebrew prototype.

Here's some screenshots and box art: http://www.giantbomb.com/star-fox-2/61-21650/

BTW, is that Snatcher in your avatar? :2_thumbs_up:

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

Rob wrote:Vectrex: Mr. Boston (Clean Sweep). Boxed, with overlay, missing instruction book.
Oh, you must DIE! How the hell did you get your hands on that?

None of my stuff's very rare; for that same system, I've got Bedlam and Spike. At least I've got the limited edition homebrews of I, Cyborg and Vector 21, both of which are sold out.

For the 2600, I've got one third of the Supercharger library, all of which are about a 4 out of 10 as far as rarity goes, i. e. Phaser Patrol, Communist Mutants, Mindmaster and Dragonstomper. Getting the later titles (Party Mix, Frogger, Sword of Saros) is going to be a bitch though. H. E. R. O. and Tunnel Runner are a bit rare, too bad I lost the boxes to those a few years back, the latter is VERY rare nowadays, and it was in mint condition, unfortunately :(

Genesis games are Star Control and Fatal Rewind. Not sure of the rarity of the Sega CD though, but I don't think many have Panic!, Stellar-Fire and Silpheed, nor Shadow Squadron for the 32X.
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

Rob

Post by Rob »

Darryl B. wrote:
Rob wrote:Vectrex: Mr. Boston (Clean Sweep). Boxed, with overlay, missing instruction book.
Oh, you must DIE! How the hell did you get your hands on that?

Lucky break in answering a classified about ten years ago.

A woman whose son had gone off to boot camp was selling a lot of his stuff, but the ad specifically mentioned comics. I went to look them over and didn't really see much I wanted, so I told her I'd pass. She mentioned that he also collected old video games, and not really expecting much I started pulling boxes out of the closet- and there sat a Mr. Boston cart. I bought the whole box off her, even though the rest were basically a bunch of common 2600 titles. She was asking 20.00, and even though I told her that one game was kind of rare (slight understatement on my part, but hey- I was a teenager!) she wouldn't take any more for it. I felt guilty so I bought the comics off of her as well.

Know anybody that wants a box of mid-90's Image titles? :lolpoint:

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

Heh, good haul! Sometimes you get lucky there! (Wonder where HE got it?)
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Gotta update this to say it's my sealed Adventurevision games Super Cobra and Space forced. I also have a CIB Crazy Climber and Mega Man 9 Press Kit (not an actual game, but rare).
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Rob

Post by Rob »

Ter wrote:Gotta update this to say it's my sealed Adventurevision games Super Cobra and Space forced. I also have a CIB Crazy Climber and Mega Man 9 Press Kit (not an actual game, but rare).
Damn straight it is! I was working on getting one from someone over at DP, and the deal fell through. From what I hear he ended up screwing over a few people who payed/traded him something for it, so I'm not too upset for missing out on that one. :)

megasdkirby

Post by megasdkirby »

Well, I don't know about me, but Dom has a CIB (actually two or more) copies of Condor Attack. Did Dom ever mentioned it to you, Ter? It was at a local flea market and they sold a few to him for $2. He uses a few as trades...if only we had known back then! At least he has around 2 or so still with him, packed away somewhere...

I myself...I don't think I have anything WOW, maybe Earthbound complete for SNES and a few tidbits here and there. But nothing worth hundreds, unless Title Match for 7800 CIB in great shape can account for that. Tank Command CIB sealed as well.

I have quite a number of toughies, but nothing super rare. Oh well, maybe in the future.

Now if I can get my hands on the last SMS US game I need to finish my US set...damn Sonic w/UPC...

RegalSin
Banned

Post by RegalSin »

I am not going to say my rarest game since I have yet seen any boards talk about it but it is a fan favorite. So the keep the value I am not going to mention the name.

The most rarest I have would probably be a 2d game. I do know it does beat some of your game the fact I almost paid $200 dollars for it. What I am happy about is the game was cloned and the value keeps skyrocketing.

I just hope the game get's released as a animation soon so I can showboat my game.
Technically it's a homebrew prototype.
If pirating is your game then I be loads of booty in my closet.
Just walk away and you can live. Just walk away and it all can be over. Dont bother responding.

Rob

Post by Rob »

RegalSin wrote:
If pirating is your game then I be loads of booty in my closet.
Regalsin, I'm sure you are loads of booty, but please remain in your closet. Buggery is not permitted on Zap!

gamemaster

Post by gamemaster »

well i have alot of rare games
3do--DinoPark Tycoon mint in the long box

turbo grafx 16--Magical Chase with box --Dynastic Hero mint

Odyssey²---Power Lords mint box and cart and book -Super Cobra -Q*Bert -Popeye -Frogger -Atlantis -Demon Attack

ColecoVision--Fall Guy --i have the real game not the copy of it -Motocross Racer/Tomarc the Barbarian --Robin Hood/Sir Lancelot -Steamroller -Super Sketch --mint in box --Wizard of Id's Wiz Math --new in box never open

and i have so many more too all the XXX-games for the 2600 and the NES systems

Jibbajaba

Post by Jibbajaba »

I don't have any console games that are like "OMG!!!" rare. I have a Beat em and Eat em/Lady in Wading cart that's complete, some uncommon PSX titles like Intelligent Qube and Silent Bomber...

The rarest games I own are Apple II games. I have some of the REALLY early games from Sierra and Sirius. I got really lucky and scored literally a pick-up truck load of Apple II stuff, and it came with a crapload of games, most of which were CIB, but the really rare games are the ones from before they had boxes. The oldest Sierra games were just the manual and disk, and I have several of those. I also got an original Apple II (not a plus or e or c or anything) which is worth quite a bit, along with it's original manual, which is also hard to find.

Those are the only games that I own that I don't even have on display. They are all in protective sleeves and are in a box in my closet. There'[s probably $1500-$2000 in games in there, and I am not leaving them out!

Chris

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

I'm not really sure now. I have Monster Chase in French for the Colorvision. How many of those were made? Probably rarer than my Adventurevision games.