Option Menu- are you a conformist or a rebel? :)

Anything gaming-related that doesn't fit anywhere else, or covers a wide span of years not specific to the other forums

Moderators: megasdkirby, Carlos, Darryl B.

Rob

Option Menu- are you a conformist or a rebel? :)

Post by Rob »

I'm wondering if there's anyone else like me out there.

On games that have an option screen that allows you to manipulate controller functions, difficulty level, camera style, etc., does anyone else just completely bypass that stuff and play it the way the makers intended it to be played?

I'll go back and re-do the settings if there's something mightily irksome or the normal difficulty is way too low or high, but generally I just play it as is. On the other hand, I know people that will go straight to the options menu the first time they play the game and start customizing everything to their tastes right off the bat.

I suppose I'm a conformist, cause 99% of the time I'm fine with the default settings.

Darryl B.

Re: Option Menu- are you a conformist or a rebel? :)

Post by Darryl B. »

Sometimes I refigure the controls, as some weapons don't feel "right" to me, like Sub-Terrania for the Genesis. I don't do it very often either though in general, now that I think about it.
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

megasdkirby

Post by megasdkirby »

Depends really.

Most of the time I just accept the way things are. But if they really bust my chops, I change them. I've even gone as far as rewiring a controller to work the way I want! :)

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I've been doing that to Street Fighter games ever since SF2 on SNES! I hate Capcom's default controls for those games! :ryu:

megasdkirby

Post by megasdkirby »

Ugh I know.

That is why I like a controller with six buttons in the front...I HATE shoulder buttons.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Rob wrote:I'm wondering if there's anyone else like me out there.

On games that have an option screen that allows you to manipulate controller functions, difficulty level, camera style, etc., does anyone else just completely bypass that stuff and play it the way the makers intended it to be played?

I'll go back and re-do the settings if there's something mightily irksome or the normal difficulty is way too low or high, but generally I just play it as is. On the other hand, I know people that will go straight to the options menu the first time they play the game and start customizing everything to their tastes right off the bat.

I suppose I'm a conformist, cause 99% of the time I'm fine with the default settings.
The only time I recall ever changing it in my history of gaming is on the Super NES Street Fighter II. I change the "L" and "R" funtions to medium punches/kicks. I almost never use mediums. I use the strong and weak for rapid kicks as Chun Li. :chun-li:
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

megasdkirby

Post by megasdkirby »

I configure controls for FPS games.

I got used to the shoulder buttons being strafe buttons. I really dislike using the right analog stick to look and turn. I make the dpad or left analog to go foward, back, turn left and right. Shoulder buttons to strafe. And if it's a PS controller, L2 and R2 to look up and down.