Oldest games you ever played?

Anything gaming-related that doesn't fit anywhere else, or covers a wide span of years not specific to the other forums

Moderators: megasdkirby, Carlos, Darryl B.

Darryl B.

Oldest games you ever played?

Post by Darryl B. »

For *real*, I mean, not emulated.

Being born at pretty much the right time for the arcade, home and handheld gaming boom, I go back to pretty much the very beginning with everything: the early handhelds of the Mattel Football games and the earliest of the home gigs of the Microvision and the Atari 2600 (haven't played any Fairchild Channel F though...yet).

And, I've played not THE oldest commercially-released coin-op of them all of Computer Space, but the second oldest of Pong, as there's a local gaming expo that has had it for the last few years. It's either in near-mint condition or just very well restored. My surprise is how small the sucker is though: people were on their knees playing the thing! (Were people shorter in the 70s? ;) )

Now, if I can just find and play some Computer Space...well, that's one of my life's missions, video-game wise, to do just that.
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

Rob

Re: Oldest games you ever played?

Post by Rob »

I have played a gen-you-wine Computer Space upright, so I suppose that is the oldest one I've ever touched. Conversely, I've never even seen an original Pong cab in person though.

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

Wow, awesome!

How was it? Pretty rough? (The gameplay, I mean.)

Rob

Post by Rob »

Well, I think it could have ended up on the RCA Studio II and not looked out of place. It played kind of wonky, but that could have been due more to the controls than anything else.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Darryl, do you mean oldest games played in their time or oldest games I played? I did not even play a video game until 1979. That year I discovered arcades. Actually, I may have played my electro mechanical handhelds in 1978, but not much earlier.

I own a Fairchild Channel F, so I have played some 1976 games. Didn't get the system until 1991 however.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

Either one's fine, I'd say oldest games played in their time for me was like Sea Wolf and Stunt Cycle, arcades-wise. That would definitely leave out Pong, since I only played that a few years ago. But if you're going for oldest games period, then that would be the one for me.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Darryl B. wrote:Either one's fine, I'd say oldest games played in their time for me was like Sea Wolf and Stunt Cycle, arcades-wise. That would definitely leave out Pong, since I only played that a few years ago. But if you're going for oldest games period, then that would be the one for me.
I do remember playing some EM arcade games in 1979 or the very early 80's. They were outdated at the time, but I did get to see them.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Golden Beast Studios

Post by Golden Beast Studios »

the oldest thing I think I played was some jet fighting game for the vetrex. That game was super hard!
Check out our games at www.goldenbeaststudios.com

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Golden Beast Studios wrote:the oldest thing I think I played was some jet fighting game for the vetrex. That game was super hard!
Which game was it? Do you own a Vectrex?

Golden Beast Studios

The Vectrex is SOMEWHERE in the garage lol. As for the game, I don't know the title, I guess it's built into the system, it plays when there's no cartrage :P I think I've seen it on other systems. It's a side view space ship shooter there's only one "level". In this level the screen "wraps" and there's a bunch of little ufos in the air and missle shooters on the ground. I wish I knew the name :P

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Golden Beast Studios wrote:The Vectrex is SOMEWHERE in the garage lol. As for the game, I don't know the title, I guess it's built into the system, it plays when there's no cartrage :P I think I've seen it on other systems. It's a side view space ship shooter there's only one "level". In this level the screen "wraps" and there's a bunch of little ufos in the air and missle shooters on the ground. I wish I knew the name :P
Mine Storm. It's not a jet though. You're in a spaceship and it's an Asteroids clone. Fantastic game.

Golden Beast Studios

Ahhh yes that sounds about right. I'm pretty sure that's the oldest game I've played. My dad got it for me when I was 6 or so, I have fond memories of having vectors burned into my retinas when I closed my eyes after playing it lol. Props for knowing that title!

RegalSin
Banned

Post by RegalSin »

Ms. Pac-Man the oiginal Arcade.
Just walk away and you can live. Just walk away and it all can be over. Dont bother responding.