Anyone read or subscribe to Retro Gamer magazine?

Anything gaming-related that doesn't fit anywhere else, or covers a wide span of years not specific to the other forums

Moderators: megasdkirby, Carlos, Darryl B.

Carlos

Anyone read or subscribe to Retro Gamer magazine?

Post by Carlos »

I started reading a few months ago with issue 53 (Origin of Konami) and have been hooked since. I really like reading about people's collections and the articles from developers and programmers past and present. The monthly price guides are pretty cool too. The only downside to the mag is that it's made in the UK and costs $11.99 USD (but well worth the cost, IMO). Also, Barnes & Noble is the only store around I know of that carries it, but they're usually a month behind.

If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. :headbang:

Rob

Re: Anyone read or subscribe to Retro Gamer magazine?

Post by Rob »

I've been reading Retrogamer for the last three years. I've got their first thirty issues on disc, and most of the issues from #40-now. If you think 11.99 is high, they were 14.99 when I first started reading them, then 13.99, then 12.99, and now 11.99.

Retrogamer is a double edged sword for me. On the one hand, I still think it's the best gaming mag on the stands right now. On the other hand, every issue features the same articles about the Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, and all the other computers that I have no interest in. It's a very British magazine, and as such gaming in the eighties/early 90's for most brits took place on their home computers. Most guys I know in the UK never owned or played an NES, but they'll tell you all about Chuckie Egg or Manic Miner on the Speccy or Beeb. That stuff's fine to read about occasionally, but I remember one issue that was almost all coverage on the old UK computers, and it was all stuff I read a thousand times before. I wish they'd branch out and do more console coverage to appeal to those of us here in the rest of the world that grew up on the Atari and NES. When they do cover the old consoles, the articles are top notch, and written by a group of guys that have a passion for the old stuff.

The lack of decent distribution here in the states is also what irks me to no end. Barnes and Noble is the only newsstand that carries it round me. Half the time they get like three copies in, and if you're not there the day they arrive (which from what I understand, B&N has no idea when they'll arrive) you either find that all of them are gone or the ones that are left are ripped to shreds. For some reason Retrogamer has a bad tendency to arrive torn up.

I would subscribe if the US subs weren't so frikkin' high! It's cheaper to buy it off the newsstand, which is the opposite of what subscriptions are all about last I checked.

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Rob wrote:I've been reading Retrogamer for the last three years. I've got their first thirty issues on disc, and most of the issues from #40-now. If you think 11.99 is high, they were 14.99 when I first started reading them, then 13.99, then 12.99, and now 11.99.

Retrogamer is a double edged sword for me. On the one hand, I still think it's the best gaming mag on the stands right now. On the other hand, every issue features the same articles about the Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, and all the other computers that I have no interest in. It's a very British magazine, and as such gaming in the eighties/early 90's for most brits took place on their home computers. Most guys I know in the UK never owned or played an NES, but they'll tell you all about Chuckie Egg or Manic Miner on the Speccy or Beeb. That stuff's fine to read about occasionally, but I remember one issue that was almost all coverage on the old UK computers, and it was all stuff I read a thousand times before. I wish they'd branch out and do more console coverage to appeal to those of us here in the rest of the world that grew up on the Atari and NES. When they do cover the old consoles, the articles are top notch, and written by a group of guys that have a passion for the old stuff.

The lack of decent distribution here in the states is also what irks me to no end. Barnes and Noble is the only newsstand that carries it round me. Half the time they get like three copies in, and if you're not there the day they arrive (which from what I understand, B&N has no idea when they'll arrive) you either find that all of them are gone or the ones that are left are ripped to shreds. For some reason Retrogamer has a bad tendency to arrive torn up.

I would subscribe if the US subs weren't so frikkin' high! It's cheaper to buy it off the newsstand, which is the opposite of what subscriptions are all about last I checked.

I'm kinda torn. While I agree that RG is very pro UK and JAP computers, it also got me very interested in them as well. When I read the Speccy article a few months ago, it got me interested in getting one, so I did some research, and decided it wasn't for me, but at the same time it was fun researching a system I never heard of before. The latest issue has an article about the MSX and MSX2 I'm interested in reading about.

I totally agree with you on the US distribution part. Barnes and Noble is the only US bookseller I know of that carries it, and like yours when they get them in (usually 2nd or 3rd Thursday of the month) there's only maybe 4 issues, 5 at the most. I'm really annoyed with mine now though as I don't think they ever got issue 58 in, but I did find it at another B&N in another city close by. I don't think anyone has 59 yet. And yea, I don't get the $120 price tag for a subscription to the US, but if you buy a mag individually, it's the same as the B&N price even with shipping.

MaximumRD

Post by MaximumRD »

I love the mag, unfortunately local shops have stopped carrying it and the amount to subscribe is crazy for Canadians, instead I got both volumes of the DVD Emag edition, PDF's but much cheaper........... :headbang:
Oldshool gaming, some people will never "Get it"
Check out my Classic Gaming Videos: RATE ! COMMENT!
http://ca.youtube.com/user/MaximumRD

Rob

Post by Rob »

And yea, I don't get the $120 price tag for a subscription to the US, but if you buy a mag individually, it's the same as the B&N price even with shipping.
They're "down" to 120.00 now? Last I priced it was 140.00, so they must have dropped the rates somewhat.
MaximumRD wrote:I love the mag, unfortunately local shops have stopped carrying it and the amount to subscribe is crazy for Canadians, instead I got both volumes of the DVD Emag edition, PDF's but much cheaper........... :headbang:
There's a volume two out now? What issues are on that? I've got the first volume with issues 1-30 on it.

MaximumRD

Post by MaximumRD »

Rob wrote:
And yea, I don't get the $120 price tag for a subscription to the US, but if you buy a mag individually, it's the same as the B&N price even with shipping.
They're "down" to 120.00 now? Last I priced it was 140.00, so they must have dropped the rates somewhat.
MaximumRD wrote:I love the mag, unfortunately local shops have stopped carrying it and the amount to subscribe is crazy for Canadians, instead I got both volumes of the DVD Emag edition, PDF's but much cheaper........... :headbang:
There's a volume two out now? What issues are on that? I've got the first volume with issues 1-30 on it.
31 - 55!
:MegaManXRunning:
Oldshool gaming, some people will never "Get it"
Check out my Classic Gaming Videos: RATE ! COMMENT!
http://ca.youtube.com/user/MaximumRD

Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks, I'm going to have to check that out.

gelkster

Post by gelkster »

I started reading/buying a few issues here & there when I saw it @ my local B&N yrs back. I liked it so much I started buying back issues off eBay & got a subs. as an Xmas gift (2 yrs running now.) Then on eBay I won a DVD of the 1st 30 issues, so I guess technically I have every issue ;).

Yes a subs. is expensive but it's a high-quality mag. I get mine delivered shortly after it comes out in the UK- it's delivered in a plastic wrapper w/ damage & safety warnings to show they care. No waiting around for 4-6 wks for stores to stock it. Stores around here stopped carrying it anyway, due to "low interest" & high cost of stocking it or somesuch BS.

About issue #59, it's the latest one I got a few wks ago. I was getting concerned b/c it's the 1st issue I renewed w/ & it came later than usual. I think #60 is due in my mailbox in a wk or so.

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I GIVE UP!!! :(

I'm starting to think that Barnes & Noble have stopped carrying Retro Gamer. I've gone to the same three stores two weeks and a row and none of them have Retro Gamer. One clerk told me they only get three or four copies in, and when they're gone, they're gone. I find it hard to believe though. I mean they always have 10-15 issues of shit like GamePro, Play, or Nintendo Power that no one buys, but they can't stock a decent amount of Retro Gamer? What the Hell? :BangHead:

Guess I'll just have to resort to ordering from the site or saving my pennies and get a subscription.

Rob

Post by Rob »

I just picked up #59 yesterday, the Battlezone issue. I was thinking the Mario Kart issue was the newest one, but that's number 60. I hate being a month behind! :bowser:

All the Barnes and Nobles in my area still carry it. Same thing though- they get like 5 or 6 copies and they're pretty much gone within days. Have them reserve it for you- usually they call me when it comes in and I go pick up a copy. Some B&N will do it and some won't- you just gotta ask.

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Well I'll be a baboon's bare-assed uncle!

I went into Barnes & Noble this afternoon, and sure enough they had the "latest" issue (Battlezone) on the stand with the other video game magazines. :new_shocked: Kinda disappointing that they only had four copies, but I was sure to snag one up, and placed the other three in the front, instead of the back with the rest of the U.K. mags :D

I guess there's some light at the end of the tunnel after all. :2_thumbs_up:

Rob

Post by Rob »

SegaBoy wrote:Well I'll be a baboon's bare-assed uncle!

I went into Barnes & Noble this afternoon, and sure enough they had the "latest" issue (Battlezone) on the stand with the other video game magazines. :new_shocked: Kinda disappointing that they only had four copies, but I was sure to snag one up, and placed the other three in the front, instead of the back with the rest of the U.K. mags :D

I guess there's some light at the end of the tunnel after all. :2_thumbs_up:

I swear that I don't understand why some parts of the country sometimes get the latest issue sometimes weeks before other parts of the country. Hell, I live between two big cities, Raleigh and Fayetteville, and one will get the new issue several days apart from the other.

On the plus side, this month was a pretty good read IMHO.

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Do you mean the Battlezone issue or the Mario Kart issue?

Rob

Post by Rob »

The Battlezone issue. I'm hoping the Mario Kart issue isn't sold out by the time I get there- when they ran Legend of Zelda on the cover I had to search high and low for a copy. Every time they run a popular series on the cover a lot of casual readers snatch it up.

nexus6

Post by nexus6 »

I've ordered the two collection editions and they are the best magazines ive ever read about this topic.