Games you hate that everyone else likes

Anything gaming-related that doesn't fit anywhere else, or covers a wide span of years not specific to the other forums

Moderators: megasdkirby, Carlos, Darryl B.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Games you hate that everyone else likes

Post by Zap! »

I never thought much of Space Invaders, and could never understand its popularity. Kid Icarus is another. I bought it in 1987 and returned it shortly after, never to have played it again.
Rob wrote:I know everyone loves the Metal Gear series, but even when it was on the NES this is one franchise I could never get into. Add to that just about every RPG except for the first three Zelda games, and Madden titles. I absolutely loath anything with the Final Fantasy logo on it.
I only played the NES original (and briefly the sequel). What can I say, I loved it.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Jakenut86

Re: Games you hate that everyone else likes

Post by Jakenut86 »

Ter wrote:I never thought much of Space Invaders, and could never understand its popularity. Kid Icarus is another. I bought it in 1987 and returned it shortly after, never to have played it again.
Rob wrote:I know everyone loves the Metal Gear series, but even when it was on the NES this is one franchise I could never get into. Add to that just about every RPG except for the first three Zelda games, and Madden titles. I absolutely loath anything with the Final Fantasy logo on it.
I only played the NES original (and briefly the sequel). What can I say, I loved it.
I really like Space Invaders and Metal Gear, didn't care for Final Fantasy and never played Kid Icarus.

I also never really got into was Tetris. It just got boring as you do the same thing over and over, I also don't really like any other games that are like it.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Frogger. Growing up, everyone I knew loved it, but I just didn't get into it.

Kid Icarus. I really, really, want to like this game, but it's just so damn difficult that I can't play it for more than 20-30 minutes.

Metal Gear series. Like Kid Icarus, I really want to like this series, but I just can't get into it. I like the characters and the story, but the game play just bores the shit out of me. Then again, I'm more into straight up action, and hate too much stealth.

Erosion_Of_Sanity

Post by Erosion_Of_Sanity »

I can't really say I disagree with many classics, but I really hate games like Halo, Guitar Hero/Rock Band, and just about every other new game everyone thinks is "amazing".
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jakenut86

Post by Jakenut86 »

I like Halo, although not nearly as much as every one else does. It's decent but by no means would I say its the best game I have ever played.

Guitar Hero Sucks IMO. But I just think it's all te same shit over and over. Just hit the right buttons at the right time over and over and over.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Rob

Post by Rob »

Also on my "not crazy about" list: just about any FPS of the last two decades. I don't know why, but I just can't get into FPS. It started with Doom and Wolfenstein and even now the MOH, COD, L4D, Bioshock, etc don't do anything for me.

Add to that MMORPG. I don't care for online gaming in general, but I really despise Warcraft in all its incarnations. I just don't get it, and can't get into any of it.

Music games: I despise the "Rock Band", "Guitar Hero", "Dance Dance Revolution" etc. games that have become popular the last few years. I'm in a rock band. It's not all that fun, nor is playing a plastic PS2 guitar in any way close to playing a real guitar. These games to me are a waste of time and money, and I don't understand what the appeal is. Maybe I'm just getting old and crusty.

Wii games: I can't get into Wiimotes. I like games on the Wii where you're allowed the option of using a Gamecube controller, like Mario Kart and Super Smash; or a game that utilizes the Wiimote as a Zapper. But the Wiimote in and of itself is counter intuitive to me, and I just don't like using it. On the same token I don't like DS games that make you do crazy shit with the stylus.

Just give me an average sized controller with four action buttons, a D-pad and analog stick, two shoulder buttons, and make it wireless. Give me a console with a 25 gig hard drive, with optional memory card slots. Allow up to six players simultaneous play. Make it less than two hundred dollars, and give me a bunch of 2D side scrolling games and top down shooters that I've never played before, with stereo sound and save points. Make the games average for thirty bucks retail. Then, and only then, would I be truly satisfied.
Last edited by Rob on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jakenut86

Post by Jakenut86 »

The only thing I really don't like about MMORPG's is the fact that you have to pay $50 for the game, $10 a month to play, and then you have to pay for any expansions that come out. Also once the company stops supporting the game and there are no more servers, all that money you put into that game will be gone and you'll have nothing to show for it.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Rob wrote:Also on my "not crazy about" list: just about any FPS of the last two decades. I don't know why, but I just can't get into FPS. It started with Doom and Wolfenstein and even now the MOH, COD, L4D, Bioshock, etc don't do anything for me.
You didn't like Wolfenstein 3-D or Doom? But they sparked a Revolution. I could never see myself disliking something that changed the world, and those two games did that for computer games as much as Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat revolutionized the arcades. Did you like Duke Nukem' 3-D?
Wii games: I can't get into Wiimotes. I like games on the Wii where you're allowed the option of using a Gamecube controller, like Mario Kart and Super Smash; or a game that utilizes the Wiimote as a Zapper. But the Wiimote in and of itself is counter intuitive to me, and I just don't like using it. On the same token I don't like DS games that make you do crazy shit with the stylus.

Just give me an average sized controller with four action buttons, a D-pad and analog stick, two shoulder buttons, and make it wireless. Give me a console with a 25 gig hard drive, with optional memory card slots. Allow up to six players simultaneous play. Make it less than two hundred dollars, and give me a bunch of 2D side scrolling games and top down shooters that I've never played before, with stereo sound and save points. Make the games average for thirty bucks retail. Then, and only then, would I be truly satisfied.
Again, the key word is Revolution, with a capital "R". Like them or not (and I love them for most games). When the next round of systems comes out around 2011, all three big name companies will come with similar technologht, mark my words. Also, try playing Resident Evil 4 or Zelda: Twilight Princess on the Game Cube. The controllers are like night and compared to the Wii versions.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Rob

Post by Rob »

You didn't like Wolfenstein 3-D or Doom? But they sparked a Revolution. I could never see myself disliking something that changed the world, and those two games did that for computer games as much as Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat revolutionized the arcades. Did you like Duke Nukem' 3-D?
Nope, none of the Duke Nukem games appealed to me.

I'm not saying these are bad games, or that they're not important, I just dislike that style of game. You know how a lot of people dislike sports games as a genre? I'm that way about FPS.

Again, the key word is Revolution, with a capital "R". Like them or not (and I love them for most games). When the next round of systems comes out around 2011, all three big name companies will come with similar technologht, mark my words. Also, try playing Resident Evil 4 or Zelda: Twilight Princess on the Game Cube. The controllers are like night and compared to the Wii versions.
Those are two games that I enjoy and have played to completion. I tried Zelda with a Wiimote for all of five minutes and wondered how in the hell anyone could play it that way. RE4 would boggle my mind on anything other than a standard controller.

Revolution or no, I won't be taking part in it unless I can hold it in two hands and it feels like an X-Box or PS controller. I can use the joystick/controller from just about any design made thus far; anything from the pistol grip of a Fairchild, the Tracball of a 5200,to the twin sticks of Robotron: 2084- hell, I think The Duke is one of the best feeling controllers in recent history. The Wiimote just doesn't compute with me.

And I'm sure similar technology will one day be the norm, but I doubt anyone will be lining up to make another Wiimote. We never saw another bizzare shaped N64 controller, but the analog stick is still around. :joystick:

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Rob wrote:Nope, none of the Duke Nukem games appealed to me.

I'm not saying these are bad games, or that they're not important, I just dislike that style of game. You know how a lot of people dislike sports games as a genre? I'm that way about FPS.
I'm not really a fan either, but I liked the ones mentioned. I'm not into Halo and never got into Quake either. You do know that the original Duke Nukem' games were side scrollers, right?
Those are two games that I enjoy and have played to completion. I tried Zelda with a Wiimote for all of five minutes and wondered how in the hell anyone could play it that way. RE4 would boggle my mind on anything other than a standard controller.
Resident Evil 4 is a million times better with the Wiimote. Just pointing the Wiimote at the bad guys and firing is far easier. It is truely a game that takes full advantage of the controllers. Zelda was a launch game, so they didn't perfect the controls yet.
Revolution or no, I won't be taking part in it unless I can hold it in two hands and it feels like an X-Box or PS controller.
It is two handed, don't neglect the nunchuck. :)
I can use the joystick/controller from just about any design made thus far; anything from the pistol grip of a Fairchild, the Tracball of a 5200,to the twin sticks of Robotron: 2084- hell, I think The Duke is one of the best feeling controllers in recent history. The Wiimote just doesn't compute with me.
Nintendo is the #1 leader when it comes to controller technology. They invented the d-pad with their Game & Watch, later used on the Famicom and NES, first dedicated system to use a light gun (although Pong-systems invented it), first controller to use side buttons (SNES, with top "L" and "R" buttons), first rumble controller and first controller to feature a an analog stick in addition to the d-pad (N64). All other video game companies have copied this technology and owe it to Nintendo. They do know their controllers.
And I'm sure similar technology will one day be the norm, but I doubt anyone will be lining up to make another Wiimote. We never saw another bizzare shaped N64 controller, but the analog stick is still around. :joystick:
I'm pretty sure the PS4 and XBox 720 will have controllers that are totally motioned and wand-like, but we'll have to wait to see. :)

Rob

Post by Rob »

Nintendo is the #1 leader when it comes to controller technology. They invented the d-pad with their Game & Watch, later used on the Famicom and NES, first dedicated system to use a light gun (although Pong-systems invented it), first controller to use side buttons (SNES, with top "L" and "R" buttons), first rumble controller and first controller to feature a an analog stick in addition to the d-pad (N64). All other video game companies have copied this technology and owe it to Nintendo. They do know their controllers.
I have to disagree with you on that statement. To me, Nintendo is #1 at refining existing technology and popularizing it.

The original Magnavox Odyssey console (1972) featured a light gun. The Coleco Telstar Arcade (1978), which also took cartridges, used a lightgun.

The D-Pad was used before the Game and Watch systems. The Entex handheld featured a D-Pad, and the Microvision also had one. Arguably, the Intellivision could be considered a D-Disc, but the four way D-Pad didn't make its debut on a console until the Famicom in 1983. But its generally accepted that Gunpei Yokoi copied the design of the Milton Bradley Microvision D-Pad for the Game and Watch. Interestingly, Sega was the first company to coin the term "D-Pad".

The N64 was not the first controller to feature an analog and D-pad. The N64 does not have an analog stick, the "control stick" is digital. Either way, Sony beat them to the market with the Dual Analog Flightstick controller which came out in August 1995. The N64 Didn't come out until June 1996. The Sony Flightsick had twin analog joysticks that had a D-Pad on the left stick. The Sega Saturn "Nights" controller also had a true analog stick, and came out two weeks after the N64 debuted. It actually hit the US before the N64 did.

Sony also beat them on the Rumble Pak. The first version of the Dualshock with integrated rumble technology was introduced in November 1996. The N64 didn't get its Rumble Pak until April 1997.

About the only thing that Nintendo did originate was the shoulder buttons on the Super NES, but technically you could argue that the side buttons on the Colecovision, Atari 5200 and Intellivision were actually shoulder buttons. :joystick:

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Rob wrote:I have to disagree with you on that statement. To me, Nintendo is #1 at refining existing technology and popularizing it.

The original Magnavox Odyssey console (1972) featured a light gun. The Coleco Telstar Arcade (1978), which also took cartridges, used a lightgun.

The D-Pad was used before the Game and Watch systems. The Entex handheld featured a D-Pad, and the Microvision also had one. Arguably, the Intellivision could be considered a D-Disc, but the four way D-Pad didn't make its debut on a console until the Famicom in 1983. But its generally accepted that Gunpei Yokoi copied the design of the Milton Bradley Microvision D-Pad for the Game and Watch. Interestingly, Sega was the first company to coin the term "D-Pad".

The N64 was not the first controller to feature an analog and D-pad. The N64 does not have an analog stick, the "control stick" is digital. Either way, Sony beat them to the market with the Dual Analog Flightstick controller which came out in August 1995. The N64 Didn't come out until June 1996. The Sony Flightsick had twin analog joysticks that had a D-Pad on the left stick. The Sega Saturn "Nights" controller also had a true analog stick, and came out two weeks after the N64 debuted. It actually hit the US before the N64 did.

Sony also beat them on the Rumble Pak. The first version of the Dualshock with integrated rumble technology was introduced in November 1996. The N64 didn't get its Rumble Pak until April 1997.

About the only thing that Nintendo did originate was the shoulder buttons on the Super NES, but technically you could argue that the side buttons on the Colecovision, Atari 5200 and Intellivision were actually shoulder buttons. :joystick:
Well, I did say the light gun first came on Pong-type systems. The Telstar Arcade is questionably suspect as a true system. It's officially classified as a Pong-system, but it's true that it does accept triangle carts. I throw a flag on this play. I may not win, but I'm questioning the call. :)

Perhaps I should not have said d-pad, but said cross-pad (Where is there a "D" anyway?). The Microvision did not have a cross, a D, or anything like that. How can that be argued? It came with a protruding stick that can be turned like a paddle. The Entex Select-A-Game used a very far apart cross, with no diagnals. In fact, the cross was four seperate buttons, not one like the one one the Game & Watch.

The N64 was the system to come with a controller to feature a stick and a d-pad, that much is certain. Everyone has copied from this, and once again Nintendo led the way. The Dual Analog Flightstick controller was just two sticks and no d-pad, if I recall correctly. The Saturn "Nights" controller did feature both a d-pad and a stick. However, it is strongly argued thhey coped the technology. The N64's controllers got leaked out many months before Nights was announced.

I must admit, you have me stumpped on the Rumble Pak. It didn't come with the N64? If not, how long was the technology planned before it was released? I always thought the Duelshock was Sony's answer to the Rumble Pak.

With that all said, what do you think the next line of systems will come with in regards to controllers? Will you be willing to give it a second chance when it's perfected with full 360 degree motion?

Jakenut86

Post by Jakenut86 »

Ter wrote: Perhaps I should not have said d-pad, but said cross-pad (Where is there a "D" anyway?).
The "D" stands for directional. Directional Pad.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Jakenut86 wrote:
Ter wrote: Perhaps I should not have said d-pad, but said cross-pad (Where is there a "D" anyway?).
The "D" stands for directional. Directional Pad.
Yes, I actually realized that after the posting. :doh:

Rob

Post by Rob »

Well, I did say the light gun first came on Pong-type systems. The Telstar Arcade is questionably suspect as a true system. It's officially classified as a Pong-system, but it's true that it does accept triangle carts. I throw a flag on this play. I may not win, but I'm questioning the call.
You don't consider the original Odyssey a console? It had about thirty cartridges released for it. The Odyssey Pong systems came later.
Perhaps I should not have said d-pad, but said cross-pad (Where is there a "D" anyway?). The Microvision did not have a cross, a D, or anything like that. How can that be argued? It came with a protruding stick that can be turned like a paddle. The Entex Select-A-Game used a very far apart cross, with no diagnals. In fact, the cross was four seperate buttons, not one like the one one the Game & Watch.
On various Microvision cartridges the four action buttons were used like the directional + d-pad. This was where Gunpei Yokoi got the idea for the Game and Watch D-pad; in fact he used the same diodes and pot that was found on the Microvision.

I guess it would be more accurate to say Nintendo was the first company to use "one cross shaped, four way direction (plus diagonal) directional pad". :D
The N64 was the system to come with a controller to feature a stick and a d-pad, that much is certain. Everyone has copied from this, and once again Nintendo led the way. The Dual Analog Flightstick controller was just two sticks and no d-pad, if I recall correctly. The Saturn "Nights" controller did feature both a d-pad and a stick. However, it is strongly argued thhey coped the technology. The N64's controllers got leaked out many months before Nights was announced.
I still regard the coolie hat on the Flightstick as a D-pad. It was a four way directional thumb operated pad, but I can see why some wouldn't regard that as a "true" D-pad.

I was just reading an interesting article in an old issue of Edge that suggests that Nintendo copied the design of Sega's Nights controller. The evidence was that it was revealed that some of the Saturns 1995 launch titles had analog capability; that if you plugged in a "Nights" controller the game automatically remapped it's controller configuration to accommodate the analog stick. This suggests that the analog controller was intended for the Saturn's launch, but due to Sony doing everything it could to keep the costs of the system down, it was shelved.

According to the Nights designers, the analog pad already existed at the time they were creating "NiGHTs". It was completely finished at the time they began work on the game, adding more credibility to the notion that it was intended for launch. They designed the game around the controller, not vice-versa.

Supposedly, Nintendo got the idea for the "control stick" from Sega. MIPS Tech Inc. went to Sega in 1993 to try to interest them in the system they were developing with SGI. Noting that the CPU was powerful enough to handle a pressure sensitive controller stick, Sega went to work developing an analog stick for the system. Negotiations with MPI fell through and they ended up taking their system to Nintendo, who rolled the dice and decided to make the system. Nintendo announced work on the "Ultra 64" in 1994, but had no plans on what they were going to use for a controller. In fact, the early testing they did on the system was done with a six-button Genesis controller as well as a standard Atari Jaguar controller.

MPI dropped the news regarding Sega's analog joystick to Nintendo, who went to work trying to replicate it. They couldn't get the tech down, though, which is why the N64 ultimately ended up all digital. In fact, the controller is what caused the system to be delayed again and again, which is why you never saw a picture of the controller until launch. The console itself was finished over a year prior.

As far as the Rumble Pak, it could be due to a number of reasons why it wasn't included at launch. One was the constant re-designs of the N64 controller. The N64 was in that intermediate stage in console history, where it used a lot of old equipment and ideas, but kept striving to be on top of the cutting edge. The controller was in a constant state of re-design; whenever Nintendo caught wind of a new design that someone else was working on they went to great lengths to try and replicate it. The N64 was supposed to have an external memory cartridge, like the Saturn. When Sony put their memory cards on the PSX, Nintendo borrowed that. They put the cards in the controller, as there was no room for a card on the already finished design of the 64. You know the heat vent on top of the 64 directly in front of the cartridge slot? That was where the memory cartridge was supposed to go.

My theory, supported by anecdotal evidence, is that Nintendo borrowed the idea of the Rumble Pak from the Playstation. When Sony was developing the PSX originally for Nintendo, Rumble capabilities were something that Sony had already planned, technology that was purchased by Sony when they took over a company that manufactured an Aural Excitement type peripheral. It was determined that the tech was too new and expensive to be used properly, so the Rumble was put on the back-burner- subsequently the tech didn't appear on the first PSX controllers, either. However, Sony never stopped developing it, which is why they introduced the DualShock in late 1996. The first controllers were buggy and didn't get a wide release until the following year.

Nintendo did hastily add a second memory card port on their controller when it got wind of what Sony was doing to the Playstation. If you look at preliminary designs of the Ultra controller it featured only one port for the memory card. Most of the early launch titles didn't feature rumble capabilities, which suggests the Rumble Pak was not in development during the early stages of the N64 controller. I think what happened was that Nintendo went back to the original tech plans they had for the Playstation and quickly came up with the Rumble Pak in response to the Dual Shock.

With that all said, what do you think the next line of systems will come with in regards to controllers? Will you be willing to give it a second chance when it's perfected with full 360 degree motion?
I think the next gens will feature a traditional controller design, a'la the Xbox and PS controllers, but will be motion sensitive like the Wiimote. Word is that Nintendo is already developing one, so we'll have to wait and see.

The 360 degree motion thing is overrated to me. It's just the act of waving the 'mote around like a lightsaber or sword that I can't get into. I want to "tap A repeatedly" and not jerk my shoulder out of whack pretending I'm boxing. I like Wii Sports, but for the life of me I don't understand what you're supposed to be doing with Wii Boxing. It seems like if I try to box realistically (which I did for several years in junior and high school) I get clobbered. But, if I point the Wiimote straight down on the ground and jiggle my hand to the left all of the sudden I'm the Champ. That to me is neither fun, intuitive, or realistic. Give me NES Punch Out any day, at least I know that if I press "up" and tap "B" I'll knock Tyson down. I know I'm singling out one game, but this type of thing happens to me in almost all Wii games. As I said, it's just completely foreign to me.

I'll have to try RE4 on the Wii. If it actually improves the aiming system I'll have to give it a go, as that's the only weak thing I can fault the game for.

The side scrolling Duke Nukem games were on the PC, no? I never played any PC games at the time, so I missed out on the side scrollers. The first DN game I played was DN64, and I think the one on the PSOne.

Also:

I'd have to say that I greatly enjoy conversing on this board, as everyone seems more knowledgeable than the average gamer forum member. I like trading trivia with you guys, cause I know that I'm not going to get flamed with a post that goes "Duke NKem on 64 PWNS!!!! You suck for h8ing on Nintindo! KTHXBAI!"

Damn teenagers...
Last edited by Rob on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jakenut86

Post by Jakenut86 »

Rob wrote: The side scrolling Duke Nukem games were on the PC, no? I never played any PC games at the time, so I missed out on the side scrollers. The first DN game I played was DN64, and I think the one on the PSOne.
Yeah they were on PC, Duke I & 2 were pretty good and came before Duke 3D. Then another company (i forget which one) came out with Duke Nukem Manhatten Project for the PC which is a 3D sidescroller and was supposed to reignite fans interest just before Duke Nukem Forever came out, but it still hasn't been released of course.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Rob wrote:You don't consider the original Odyssey a console? It had about thirty cartridges released for it. The Odyssey Pong systems came later.
Nope, and neither do nearly all video game historians and book writers. Everywhere I have ever looked, the 1976 Fairchild Channel F is considered the first programmable system accepting cartriges.
On various Microvision cartridges the four action buttons were used like the directional + d-pad. This was where Gunpei Yokoi got the idea for the Game and Watch D-pad; in fact he used the same diodes and pot that was found on the Microvision.

I guess it would be more accurate to say Nintendo was the first company to use "one cross shaped, four way direction (plus diagonal) directional pad". :D

But it's joystick-like and very protruding. I just don't see it.
I still regard the coolie hat on the Flightstick as a D-pad. It was a four way directional thumb operated pad, but I can see why some wouldn't regard that as a "true" D-pad.
Yeah, very open to interpetation.
I was just reading an interesting article in an old issue of Edge that suggests that Nintendo copied the design of Sega's Nights controller. The evidence was that it was revealed that some of the Saturns 1995 launch titles had analog capability; that if you plugged in a "Nights" controller the game automatically remapped it's controller configuration to accommodate the analog stick. This suggests that the analog controller was intended for the Saturn's launch, but due to Sony doing everything it could to keep the costs of the system down, it was shelved.

According to the Nights designers, the analog pad already existed at the time they were creating "NiGHTs". It was completely finished at the time they began work on the game, adding more credibility to the notion that it was intended for launch. They designed the game around the controller, not vice-versa.

Supposedly, Nintendo got the idea for the "control stick" from Sega. MIPS Tech Inc. went to Sega in 1993 to try to interest them in the system they were developing with SGI. Noting that the CPU was powerful enough to handle a pressure sensitive controller stick, Sega went to work developing an analog stick for the system. Negotiations with MPI fell through and they ended up taking their system to Nintendo, who rolled the dice and decided to make the system. Nintendo announced work on the "Ultra 64" in 1994, but had no plans on what they were going to use for a controller. In fact, the early testing they did on the system was done with a six-button Genesis controller as well as a standard Atari Jaguar controller.

MPI dropped the news regarding Sega's analog joystick to Nintendo, who went to work trying to replicate it. They couldn't get the tech down, though, which is why the N64 ultimately ended up all digital. In fact, the controller is what caused the system to be delayed again and again, which is why you never saw a picture of the controller until launch. The console itself was finished over a year prior.
I have no idea how much of that is fact and how much is fiction. But even if it's all true, Nintendo was still the first to include it with a system. Controllers that don't come with the system usually go nowhere. How many other games was the Nights controller used for? Nintendo may not invent every controller, but they revolutionize them all. Street Fighter 2 certainly wasn't the first one-on-on fighter. Likewise, Nirvana didn't invent grunge or alternative rock. But they sparked mega Revolutions, and for that they deserve all the credit.
I think the next gens will feature a traditional controller design, a'la the Xbox and PS controllers, but will be motion sensitive like the Wiimote. Word is that Nintendo is already developing one, so we'll have to wait and see.
So what will it be like, the PS3's controller? If you tilt it, you get partial motion. Is that what you mean? I hightly doubt it. I believe it'll be wand-like.
The 360 degree motion thing is overrated to me. It's just the act of waving the 'mote around like a lightsaber or sword that I can't get into. I want to "tap A repeatedly" and not jerk my shoulder out of whack pretending I'm boxing. I like Wii Sports, but for the life of me I don't understand what you're supposed to be doing with Wii Boxing. It seems like if I try to box realistically (which I did for several years in junior and high school) I get clobbered. But, if I point the Wiimote straight down on the ground and jiggle my hand to the left all of the sudden I'm the Champ. That to me is neither fun, intuitive, or realistic. Give me NES Punch Out any day, at least I know that if I press "up" and tap "B" I'll knock Tyson down. I know I'm singling out one game, but this type of thing happens to me in almost all Wii games. As I said, it's just completely foreign to me.

I'll have to try RE4 on the Wii. If it actually improves the aiming system I'll have to give it a go, as that's the only weak thing I can fault the game for.
Wii Sports was a launch game, meaning the technology wasn't perfected. Also, boxing was probably the worst on that game. RE4 was perfect on the Wii. One of their best games, right up there with Twlight Princess, but better controls. Aiming is easy and outstanding.

The side scrolling Duke Nukem games were on the PC, no? I never played any PC games at the time, so I missed out on the side scrollers. The first DN game I played was DN64, and I think the one on the PSOne.
Yeah, the first were side scrollers and a lot of fun. You did miss out on a lot of goodies. No Commander Keen?

Also:

I'd have to say that I greatly enjoy conversing on this board, as everyone seems more knowledgeable than the average gamer forum member. I like trading trivia with you guys, cause I know that I'm not going to get flamed with a post that goes "Duke NKem on 64 PWNS!!!! You suck for h8ing on Nintindo! KTHXBAI!"

Damn teenagers...
Thanks. I enjoy debating, even if it seems like arguing at times. You think this is bad, you should see the debate that goes on in the baseball forums I post on. :)

MaximumRD

Post by MaximumRD »

Well not sure if this counts but World of Warcraft! I know millions love it and many live it but I just have no interest in MMORG's.

Also, though not to point at a specific game but Strategy PRG's or Turn based RPG's and most "simulations" I play games to have fun, I don't want to think or have to plan too much, if I wanted those kind of pressures I would just stick to real life lol! I just want to pick up the controller or mouse/keyboard and jusmp right into the action, I don't mind a back story or plot as I love Surviavl Horror games and FPS games but that is about as involved as I want a game.

Rob

Post by Rob »

So what will it be like, the PS3's controller? If you tilt it, you get partial motion. Is that what you mean? I hightly doubt it. I believe it'll be wand-like.
No, I believe that the controllers will be more advanced than the PS3 controllers- think Wiimote functionality in a "traditional" configuration. I could very easily see holding the Dualshock controller by its center and it doubling as a wand-type apparatus, with minor revisions of course. Even Nintendo agrees that the stick design of the 'mote doesn't lend itself to traditional games very well- which is why some Wii games can be operated by the Gamecube controller.

At best, I can say that if the Next Gens go to a wand type device, I don't think it will be the only available controller. The systems will probably come bundled with a stick and a controller.
Wii Sports was a launch game, meaning the technology wasn't perfected. Also, boxing was probably the worst on that game. RE4 was perfect on the Wii. One of their best games, right up there with Twlight Princess, but better controls. Aiming is easy and outstanding.
I understand WS being a launch title and all it wasn't going to be faultless, but I chose that as an example because a lot of people can relate to the overall bugginess of the boxing segment. Even die-hard Wii fans will admit that Boxing is all over the place control-wise; that's why I used it as an example of the way I feel about 90% of Wii games in general. I was soooooo disappointed with Star Wars Lightsaber Duel- I've been waiting for a lightsaber game since the Wii was introduced, and it turns out to be basically Wii Boxing with animated SW characters. w00t.
Thanks. I enjoy debating, even if it seems like arguing at times. You think this is bad, you should see the debate that goes on in the baseball forums I post on.
Speaking of which, I saw that asshole over at DP ripping on you over your sig. In retaliation I changed my sig too, which now features a link to this site. Linked propaganda FTW!!!! :bowser:

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Rob wrote:No, I believe that the controllers will be more advanced than the PS3 controllers- think Wiimote functionality in a "traditional" configuration. I could very easily see holding the Dualshock controller by its center and it doubling as a wand-type apparatus, with minor revisions of course. Even Nintendo agrees that the stick design of the 'mote doesn't lend itself to traditional games very well- which is why some Wii games can be operated by the Gamecube controller.

At best, I can say that if the Next Gens go to a wand type device, I don't think it will be the only available controller. The systems will probably come bundled with a stick and a controller.
I like how you can turn the Wiimote on its side to play traditional NES-style games. However, for modern fighting games requiring many buttons, you are correct.
I understand WS being a launch title and all it wasn't going to be faultless, but I chose that as an example because a lot of people can relate to the overall bugginess of the boxing segment. Even die-hard Wii fans will admit that Boxing is all over the place control-wise; that's why I used it as an example of the way I feel about 90% of Wii games in general. I was soooooo disappointed with Star Wars Lightsaber Duel- I've been waiting for a lightsaber game since the Wii was introduced, and it turns out to be basically Wii Boxing with animated SW characters. w00t.
On Wii Sports, I am a tennis guy. I don't like boxing much at all. Bowling is great too. Baseball and golf are ok. Will you be getting Punch-Out!! Wii? You don't look forward to punching out King Hippo with your own fists?

Which Star Wars game did you hate? I loved Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, but it was a bit easy.
Speaking of which, I saw that asshole over at DP ripping on you over your sig. In retaliation I changed my sig too, which now features a link to this site. Linked propaganda FTW!!!! :bowser:
Yeah, and he's not even a mod. Someone else there cme to my defense and asked him what the big deal was. Thanks for the link in your sig. :headbang:

Oh yeah, one more Nintendo first: First controller to use wings. It wasn't the Genesis controller, it was this: