Games Are 'Poison,' Says Hugo Chavez

Anything gaming-related that doesn't fit anywhere else, or covers a wide span of years not specific to the other forums

Moderators: megasdkirby, Carlos, Darryl B.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Games Are 'Poison,' Says Hugo Chavez

Post by Zap! »

Say what you want about Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez's politics, but it's pretty clear that he doesn't like video games. AFP (via GamePolitics) is reporting that Chavez recently took aim at games in his weekly radio show, calling the PlayStation "poison" and saying that it leads children down the capitalist "road to hell."

"Those games they call 'PlayStation' are poison. Some games teach you to kill. They once put my face on a game, 'you've got to find Chavez to kill him,'" he said.

Chavez went on to lambast games in which players "bomb cities or just throw bombs," saying that they are sold by capitalist countries "to sell weapons." He also said they "promote the need for cigarettes, drugs and alcohol so they can sell them."

This isn't the first time Chavez has vilified video games. Supporters of the president have accused Mercenaries 2: World in Flames -- which depicts an invasion of Venezuela -- of trying to drum up support for a real attack. And in October, Venezuela's parliament approved a law that would allow the government to outlaw "bellicose" games.

Chavez said Venezuelan companies should be making "educational games." At this point, they sure won't be making anything like Modern Warfare 2 anytime soon.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177641
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Darryl B.

Re: Games Are 'Poison,' Says Hugo Chavez

Post by Darryl B. »

Ter wrote: "Some games teach you to kill.
And how many people actually go out and DO that after they play these games, versus millions of gamers throughout the years that played these games and never did?
Ter wrote: They once put my face on a game, 'you've got to find Chavez to kill him,'" he said.
And why oh why would anyone want to do that, I wonder :D
Ter wrote: Chavez went on to lambast games in which players "bomb cities or just throw bombs," saying that they are sold by capitalist countries "to sell weapons."
Makes you wonder how many hicks there are in small towns that own half a dozen guns but don't know what this PlayStation and XBox thingies are. Explain them...
Ter wrote: He also said they "promote the need for cigarettes, drugs and alcohol so they can sell them."
I wonder how many THOUSANDS of games I had ever played in my entire life (so far) vs. the amount of times I've ever done any illegal drugs (NEVER, not even pot), smoked (almost never), or drank alcohol (almost never again), much less bought any of that crap (again, almost never...think like twice EVER...for friends. And for those that buy a six pack every weekend but never get drunk and/or behind the wheel of a car, so (*#!ing what?).
Ter wrote: Supporters of the president have accused Mercenaries 2: World in Flames -- which depicts an invasion of Venezuela -- of trying to drum up support for a real attack.
Yeah, I wonder how many Al-Quida people in Afghanistan have played any of these games...
Ter wrote: And in October, Venezuela's parliament approved a law that would allow the government to outlaw "bellicose" games.
I hate to ask what 'bellicose' means...

Another one for the Moron files.
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Re: Games Are 'Poison,' Says Hugo Chavez

Post by Zap! »

Chavez is a loudmouth. I'm tired of him bashing us all the time too, he has zero respect for other foreign leaders. He seems to hate anything he doesn't agree with. So he doesn't play video games, now he must think they're evil.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube