Highest priced console

Let's talk about the Halcyon, Colorvision, Bandai Pippin and others you probably never heard of

Moderator: Darryl B.

TwinChargers

Highest priced console

Post by TwinChargers »

I'm pretty sure that this would be the right topic to put this under, although at the same time it could also be one of the lowest if you find someone not knowing what they have. The question is, for those of you that collect obscure consoles, is what is the most you've had to pay to get one? I remember a few months ago someone who worked for Atari long ago sold a prototype Atari 2700 for a few thousand. Sure, that's probably one of the most obscure you can get, (outside of the Nintendo Playstation or the Sega Neptune maybe), but whats your rarest console and how much did it cost you if you don't mind me asking?

As for me I have nothing rare at all. The most obscure thing I have is an Atari Lynx and its not like they were ever rare, just not as common as a Game Boy or a Game Gear. Cost me $40. Highest Priced is probably my least rare of all, and that was the Playstation 2 for $300.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Carlos

Re: Highest priced console

Post by Carlos »

I only have a Wii right now, but as far as rare/obscure stuff I've owned in the past...

Import Gamecube (I got it right after the JPN launch, and before US launch. It was pretty cool at the time)
Neo-Geo JPN AES (not necessarily rare/obscure, but I don't know many people that own one)
Neo-Geo JPN CD system (same as above)
Sega CDX (I got one last year, but sold it after finding out that Jurassic Park CD didn't work on it. Don't laugh. It was one my favorite childhood Sega CD games, and all the hidden easter eggs are awesome.)
I did pay $75 for a toaster NES a year ago.

The rarest/most obscure thing I ever owned was probably the original Metal Slug for Neo-Geo CD. I got in a trade and it was worth about $100 at the time. Real good condition too.

Rob

Post by Rob »

I guess my two highest priced systems are the Vectrex and the Jaguar Disk Drive. I have the disk drive but no Jaguar (it was stolen a couple of years back along with my Fairchild Channel F, INTV II, and Astrocade. I also lost a SNES, but that was pretty easy to replace.)

I've got a few obscure systems like the Action Max, Entex, RCA Studio II and the Sega Mark I. They're not ultra high dollar though. I at one time was trying to amass a complete console collection but being broke kind of forced me to hold off for now.

Jakenut86

Post by Jakenut86 »

That sucks ! I hate thieves!!! After you spend the money they think they can have it free and oh well for you. Hope you can eventually replace your stuff man.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Rob

Post by Rob »

I hope so too. It was my ex-girlfriend. When she moved out she took a bunch of my stuff that I guess she thought she would be able to sell for a pretty good price. I kept an eye out here locally to see if anything ever popped up that was mine at pawn shops, but I never saw anything. My guess is that she sold it all on Ebay.

Oh well, lesson learned. I'll replace it all one day.

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

Ouch, your ex stole your systems? I sorta had that happen too. She walked away with my PS1 and a lot of my favorite games at the time, but I atleast got the joy of never having to see her again. I have repurchased a few of the games, but my wife came with her ex's ps1 and a few games so I guess you can say I broke even.

On a side note, whats the deal with girlfriends taking our game systems? Are they jealous that we actually play with the systems more than we do them?

Rob

Post by Rob »

That particular girlfriend was insanely jealous of anything that took my attention away from her for one second. She was like a retarded child, you had to devote constant attention to her or she would snap. I couldn't read a book,magazine, watch a movie, play a game, etc. for about two years without getting into an argument. Finally I got fed up one day and told her she had two weeks to find a place. I wasn't there when she moved out, so she took a bunch of my stuff. I don't think she took it all to hurt me, I think she just took it for the cash value. I also had a huge comic collection and I figure she grabbed about two hundred comics total. She got the ones that were the most valuable. I had an early issue of Fantastic Four that was worth about three thousand dollars. That one hurt the most. I forgot to mention she stole my car and five thousand dollars cash as well! That stung pretty bad too, but I didn't have as much sentiment invested like I did the other stuff.

My current girlfriend is awesome. We've been together for 16 months now, and it gets better every day. She actually encourages my hobbies and used to manage two different game stores, so she's pretty much into games as much as I am. The only difference is that she's into newer consoles more, whereas I'm more into classic gaming. We balance each other nicely. :chun-li: :ryu:

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Rob wrote:
My current girlfriend is awesome. We've been together for 16 months now, and it gets better every day. She actually encourages my hobbies and used to manage two different game stores, so she's pretty much into games as much as I am. The only difference is that she's into newer consoles more, whereas I'm more into classic gaming. We balance each other nicely. :chun-li: :ryu:
I keep telling people. Couples that game together, stay together! :2_thumbs_up: She sounds a lot like my fiance. She's all into the Wii and 360 games (once she's on Animal Crossing, nothing can pry her away), and doesn't understand why I'm into retro and classic gaming. She thinks that I'm just trying to relive childhood memories (and I am, but we all know there's more too it than that), and thinks once I've had a quick fix, I'll get bored and go back to "next-gen" gaming. It's funny because when she was young she was obsessed with SNES and begged her parents to get her one for Christmas one year. She says she played it all the time. :link: What's even more funny is that we found it in her dad's tool shed not too long ago, but it was all dusty, dirty, and covered in rat piss and rat turds. :XXpuke.gif: I doubt it works and I'm not brave enough to try to clean it and test it. No plague for me, lol

Oh well, I'm just happy she games with me at all.

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

My wife games with me from time to time. She loves the whole Sims franchise, and I enjoy watching her play that. Together we enjoy games like Dr.Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

My mom paid $600 for my Neo-Geo for my 18th birthday in 1990. It wasn't my money, but the system was (and still is) mine, so does that count?
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

I also lost a bid on a loose Adventurevision around Christmas. My maximum bid was like $700, and it sold for roughly $900.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

Rob wrote:That particular girlfriend was insanely jealous of anything that took my attention away from her for one second. She was like a retarded child, you had to devote constant attention to her or she would snap. I couldn't read a book,magazine, watch a movie, play a game, etc. for about two years without getting into an argument.
Could be mental illness. Whatever it is, she'll pay for it one day, if she hasn't already...hopefully...

Nothing real expensive here, the highest-fetching system I would have for an auction is the Vectrex. And it ain't for sale!
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

Jimpoleshuk

Post by Jimpoleshuk »

I found a Mountain Dew xBox in the wild. I paid $30 its worth $100-150 (loose)

About 5000 were made for a promotion. It's neon green and pretty cool looking.

http://mynintendocollection.blogspot.co ... o-dew.html

The only other thing I have that could be remotely considered obscure is a Turbografx 16. Found a CIB one on eBay for $50

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

Wow, nice!
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

I paid $400 shipped for a Colorvision in August, that's pretty high.

Rob

Post by Rob »

LOL @ Ter for blowing the dust off of this thread!

That was exactly a year ago where I posted about how cool my current girlfriend is/was. Little did I know a year down the road we would be married!

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Rob wrote:LOL @ Ter for blowing the dust off of this thread!

That was exactly a year ago where I posted about how cool my current girlfriend is/was. Little did I know a year down the road we would be married!
I am the King of digging up old threads, lol. Congrats on that marriage too!