The Halcyon laser disk player

Let's talk about the Halcyon, Colorvision, Bandai Pippin and others you probably never heard of

Moderator: Darryl B.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

The Halcyon laser disk player

Post by Zap! »

Anyone remember this? Supposidly, it was never officially released, and you had to be an investor or deal with the company directly to get one. But units were indeed made, and some do own them. To me it's the ultimate video gaming Holy Grail, far about the Entex Adventurevision, which you can at least find if you're willing to pay top dollar. I've never once seen one of these for sale, so I have no idea what they go for.

One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Jakenut86

Re: The Halcyon laser disk player

Post by Jakenut86 »

I never even knew what the thing looked like. Boy is it one huge looking system. I'd like to see it next to a 5200, it looks like it would be much bigger.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Jakenut86 wrote:I never even knew what the thing looked like. Boy is it one huge looking system. I'd like to see it next to a 5200, it looks like it would be much bigger.
It's likely worth more than my entire collection combined. I've never even seen any of the games for sale.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

gamemaster

Post by gamemaster »

I find them on youtube

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

gamemaster wrote:I find them on youtube

Nice finds. I would give up driving for a year for a boxed and mint one.

gamemaster

Post by gamemaster »

i just posted on 10 UK sites on this if anyone can get me one let see shipping is going to be over $100.00 for this bad boy

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

gamemaster wrote:i just posted on 10 UK sites on this if anyone can get me one let see shipping is going to be over $100.00 for this bad boy
Wait...You found one for sale or you're looking for one?

gamemaster

Post by gamemaster »

someone in the UK my have one he will get back to me sat. i was seeing if there was a system out there i will pm you when he get back to me and if you want it i will give you the guy e-mail address i just post in a japan site too so if it out there i will find it i want the laser disk player that play the sega games and turbo grafx games frist

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

gamemaster wrote:someone in the UK my have one he will get back to me sat. i was seeing if there was a system out there i will pm you when he get back to me and if you want it i will give you the guy e-mail address i just post in a japan site too so if it out there i will find it i want the laser disk player that play the sega games and turbo grafx games frist
Yeah, that would be great. PM me, thanks a lot.

gamemaster

Post by gamemaster »

looking for 2 hours today on this system it look like only 100 system made it out there and there was i 1005 box system with 2 game on sell on e-bay in 1-27-08

http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/com ... s/halcyon/

http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/ ... l-98-5.htm

Carlsbad, California's RDI, in near-bankruptcy in 1981, created Dragon's Lair -- the first interactive laserdisc game to enter the arcades in the United States. When it and the subsequent Space Ace became sudden hits, RDI president Rick Dyer began work on a $2500, Level 3 computer/laserdisc player system incorporating voice-synthesis and voice-recognition technology. Dyer named it Halcyon, he says, for a variety of reasons, but primarily because, "The first syllable of 'Halcyon' is 'Hal'" -- the name of the soulful computer in 2001: A Space Odyssey. "With the modules we'll be introducing, you'll be able to control your whole house. You'll talk to Hal, and it'll talk back. It'll be a robot without wheels."

The bundled game, Thayer's Quest
Arthur C. Clarke aside, Halcyon came bundled -- saddled would be more like it -- with a sword-and-sorcery adventure game called Thayer's Quest. RDI was also to release its Raiders vs. Chargers football game ($94), which was sanctioned by the National Football League and uses three seasons of live action footage. Dyer also had plans for a Dallas vs. Washington game and a Thayer's sequel, as well as a pricey "Control Module" that would allow unified remote control of a variety of electronic gadgets. But there were problems.

RDI, despite Dyer's understandable cheerleading, was in shaky financial shape -- common enough among young companies, but especially important to consumers when you consider the warranty and servicing of a $2,500 item (or $1,700 for the computer portion alone). One creditor reported being stung along baldfacedly, and of suddenly receiving a form letter asking him and other creditors to please hold off for 90 days. Dyer, however, insisted that "RDI is doing well. RDI started shipping for real the second week in January 1985, and the creditors unanimously voted to give us a 90-day extension. Whatever the specifics, RDI wasn't alone in the home videogame squeeze.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Great read. I knew that 98pacecar has a Halycon. I was talking to him about it on DP. Well, if you ever find one for sale please let me know.

gamemaster

Post by gamemaster »

Ter wrote:Great read. I knew that 98pacecar has a Halycon. I was talking to him about it on DP. Well, if you ever find one for sale please let me know.
I have the word out now i want one so let see if anyone get back to me on this and i will let you know. i don't need this system i can't have it all

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

gamemaster wrote:
Ter wrote:Great read. I knew that 98pacecar has a Halycon. I was talking to him about it on DP. Well, if you ever find one for sale please let me know.
I have the word out now i want one so let see if anyone get back to me on this and i will let you know. i don't need this system i can't have it all
Nice, I'd love to have one thanks for looking out.

gamemaster

Post by gamemaster »

there one on e-bay not 100% missing the game part just the laser disk player pm send Ter

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

gamemaster wrote:there one on e-bay not 100% missing the game part just the laser disk player pm send Ter
Thanks for the offer. I'm looking for the whole system complete, but I may make a bid if it doesn't go sky high.

gamemaster

Post by gamemaster »

Hi i bid on it i only bid up to $149.99 on it so you can out bid me i was looking for a Laser disk player i have over 1000 laser disk for over $2000.00 the player got to be good only thing if it go no parts for it there going to be a mint system never out of the box and the 2 games going on e-bay in 3 weeks someone from the UK told me he told me about this one on e-bay too. if you out bid me good luck

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

gamemaster wrote:Hi i bid on it i only bid up to $149.99 on it so you can out bid me i was looking for a Laser disk player i have over 1000 laser disk for over $2000.00 the player got to be good only thing if it go no parts for it there going to be a mint system never out of the box and the 2 games going on e-bay in 3 weeks someone from the UK told me he told me about this one on e-bay too. if you out bid me good luck
I bid $605 with a few hours left and went to work. Thought I might sneak this one in, but came home and saw it sold for $1,100. Bummer. :(

gamemaster

Post by gamemaster »

Wow!!!!!!! that want for good money this system 100% must go for over $1500.00 did not think it was going to sell for that much just for the laser player

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

gamemaster wrote:Wow!!!!!!! that want for good money this system 100% must go for over $1500.00 did not think it was going to sell for that much just for the laser player
You think that's a lot, I know someone selling an Odyssey 3 prototype for $6,500! That's just insane, but there are only like 10 of them.

gamemaster

Post by gamemaster »

ok here you go the football game for the system
http://cgi.ebay.com/NOS-HALCYON-Laser-D ... 7C294%3A50