Anyone have a Super Grafx?

Gaming from other countries

Moderators: megasdkirby, Carlos

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Anyone have a Super Grafx?

Post by Zap! »

I had it but sold it when times were tough in November '07 for $200. I need to get it back again soon. I still have Ghouls N' Ghosts and Battle Ace boxed. Ghouls is one outstanding game. Better graphics than the Genesis version. Reading about this in 1989 I wanted it so bad. I was devastated when it didn't come to the US. :(
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Carlos

Re: Anyone have a Super Grafx?

Post by Carlos »

I've been wanting a TurboGrafx 16 and CD or Turbo Duo forever. When I was young in the 16-bit era, it was all about Genesis and SNES. Then one day I went into the local mom n' pop game story (god, I miss those) and they had this strange machine called TG16. I picked up a controller and started playing Legendary Axe and was blown away. The guy that ran the store was like, "If you enjoyed that, try this out!", and popped in Splatterhouse. I couldn't believe how much fun it was. I begged and begged my parents to get me one, but since I already had Genesis and SNES, they weren't having it. I hope to get one eventually.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

SegaBoy wrote:I've been wanting a TurboGrafx 16 and CD or Turbo Duo forever. When I was young in the 16-bit era, it was all about Genesis and SNES. Then one day I went into the local mom n' pop game story (god, I miss those) and they had this strange machine called TG16. I picked up a controller and started playing Legendary Axe and was blown away. The guy that ran the store was like, "If you enjoyed that, try this out!", and popped in Splatterhouse. I couldn't believe how much fun it was. I begged and begged my parents to get me one, but since I already had Genesis and SNES, they weren't having it. I hope to get one eventually.
The TG was a great system. I got mine around a month and a half after getting the Genesis, in October 1989. Besides the pack-in of Keith Courage in Alpha Zones, my first game was Alien Crush. Great pinball game. In 1991 (maybe even 1990, can't remember), I got the CD-ROM and fell in love with Ys: Book I and II. Still my favorite game of all-time.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

nectarsis

Post by nectarsis »

I have both a US Duo, and a SuperGrafx/Super Cd Rom2 combo (an damn sexy setup I must say). It's library of games: 1941: Counter Attack, Aldynes, Battle Ace, Daimakaimura - aka Ghouls n' Ghosts, Madouou Granzort...and Darius Alpha, Darius Plus (PC Engine games that have improved graphics on the SGFX) is VERY small. It does have the advantage of being backwards compatible with all PC Engine Hu cards (and of course CDrom/Super CD Rom's, etc.) so it's a great system to own IMHO.
http://www.risingstuff.com/index.php
GREAT retrp import gaimg forum & store

Rob

Post by Rob »

Never had one, but I do have a TG-16. I got it around late 89 or early 90. Alien Crush, Devil Crash (or Crush) and Splatterhouse are all games I had for it originally. Like a fool I traded it for one of those stupid VR helmets that was compatible with the SNES and Genesis (was it a Virtuamaxx? I can't recall.) It was years before I got another one. You can read my tale of woe in the "Swap Meets" thread in the Marketplace board.

gamemaster

Post by gamemaster »

Looking for one now

RegalSin
Banned

Post by RegalSin »

The only reason I have not gotten one is the libarary of games is too small to have that hunk of tin can lying around the place. The sad part it has FMV..
Just walk away and you can live. Just walk away and it all can be over. Dont bother responding.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

RegalSin wrote:The only reason I have not gotten one is the libarary of games is too small to have that hunk of tin can lying around the place. The sad part it has FMV..
What SG games used FMV?

hoaryhag

Post by hoaryhag »

It would be neat to have a supergrafx if only for Ghouls n Ghosts but I may just get the arcade pcb, does anyone know how they compare? I am getting a duo whenever I get the cash together but it may be awhile yet as I have some other stuff on my plate right now. Saw a pc engine duo with over 20 games go for a pretty decent price awhile back and it was stateside. Wish I had gotten it now, but you know how that goes. Now I'm gonna have wait a bit. My brother had a tg16 for awhile and I liked the games but the console is so cheaply made I wanna save up for the duo. The supergrafx looks insanely cool though. If I end up with a japanese model I guess I'll have to mod it for us hu cards.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

hoaryhag wrote:It would be neat to have a supergrafx if only for Ghouls n Ghosts but I may just get the arcade pcb, does anyone know how they compare? I am getting a duo whenever I get the cash together but it may be awhile yet as I have some other stuff on my plate right now. Saw a pc engine duo with over 20 games go for a pretty decent price awhile back and it was stateside. Wish I had gotten it now, but you know how that goes. Now I'm gonna have wait a bit. My brother had a tg16 for awhile and I liked the games but the console is so cheaply made I wanna save up for the duo. The supergrafx looks insanely cool though. If I end up with a japanese model I guess I'll have to mod it for us hu cards.
The SG G&G looks quite a bit better than the Genesis version, although if I remember correctly, the sound is inferior. The Arcade version is still the best. You can play it in all its glory on one of the Capcom compilations for the PS3. :gng-arthur-run:

megasdkirby

Post by megasdkirby »

I always wanted one, but the price was very prohibited for me, even now. I even stopped getting TG games because it was fetching very high prices.

NEC consoles are excellent. I just wish I had a better job!

Right now all I have is a TG16 and the Booster thingie (AV, not the one that saves games). Just need an extension cord and time to set it up again to play.

Maybe one day I can get a TG Express and a Super Grafx. But I know I have to spend a pretty penny getting it.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

megasdkirby wrote:I always wanted one, but the price was very prohibited for me, even now. I even stopped getting TG games because it was fetching very high prices.

NEC consoles are excellent. I just wish I had a better job!

Right now all I have is a TG16 and the Booster thingie (AV, not the one that saves games). Just need an extension cord and time to set it up again to play.

Maybe one day I can get a TG Express and a Super Grafx. But I know I have to spend a pretty penny getting it.
You can get a boxed one for about $200-$220 these days. Still a bit high but nothing insane. NEC made another CD-only system after that, but the name escapes me. It didn't sell and is quite obscure, and was from around 1995 or so.

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I just watched the "Happy Console Gamer" video for the Super Grafx, and I must say that I'm intrigued. I'll prolly look into getting one after eventually getting my Turbo Duo.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Carlos wrote:I just watched the "Happy Console Gamer" video for the Super Grafx, and I must say that I'm intrigued. I'll prolly look into getting one after eventually getting my Turbo Duo.
With a modded one and a CD-ROM would you even need the Turbo Duo? You just have to play Ghould N' Ghosts, it's so much better than the Genesis version. :gng-reaper-run:

megasdkirby

Post by megasdkirby »

Ter wrote:You can get a boxed one for about $200-$220 these days. Still a bit high but nothing insane. NEC made another CD-only system after that, but the name escapes me. It didn't sell and is quite obscure, and was from around 1995 or so.
I admit, I want one, but it's still kinda hard for me to pony up the cash. Yes, I have the cash to burn, but when I see high numbers, I start twitching.

Doesn't make sense, since I recently purchased Evolution for NGPC for $60+

I know. I'm weird. :)

Besides the system, how much do the games usually fetch? This is also a very important issue, because if the games are too expensive, I can't purchase it. :(

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

megasdkirby wrote:
Ter wrote:You can get a boxed one for about $200-$220 these days. Still a bit high but nothing insane. NEC made another CD-only system after that, but the name escapes me. It didn't sell and is quite obscure, and was from around 1995 or so.
I admit, I want one, but it's still kinda hard for me to pony up the cash. Yes, I have the cash to burn, but when I see high numbers, I start twitching.

Doesn't make sense, since I recently purchased Evolution for NGPC for $60+

I know. I'm weird. :)

Besides the system, how much do the games usually fetch? This is also a very important issue, because if the games are too expensive, I can't purchase it. :(
Off the top of my head, I know Battle Ace is the cheapest. You can get a complete one in the $30 range IIR. Ghould N' Ghosts is easily double that, but well worth it. I still have both, CIB. 1941 is the prize. Over $100 complete. The two or three others I have no idea.

Steve1978

Post by Steve1978 »

The Super CD2 games from Japan, those look really neat. But if you can't speak Japanese most of the games are probably unplayable. In case you don't know about this site: http://pcecp.com/index.php?mode=catalog ... rmalsearch
Anybody want to do some reviews for my virtual fanzine? I just made up a SNES review for Mickey Mouse. :lakitu:

Jboypacman

Post by Jboypacman »

Just got a boxed SuperGrafx for X-mas from my wife and its great! Been wanting one for a while and glad i have it now even with it's limited line up of games(6 if you count Darius Plus which is a PC Engine Hu-Card that can take advanted of the systems hardware).

I traded my DUO-R and CD based games for every game for the system but one which i still need to get later this year.

I have the following games for it....

BattleAce
CounterStrike 1943
Ghouls N Ghosts
Grand Zort
Darius Plus(Again a PCE game but makes use of the SG's hardware)

Am just missing Aldynes which is the second most pricey game for the system(CounterStrike is the most pricey from any where from a $150 to $200).

And remember guys if you do buy one it is backwards compatible with all PC Engine Hu-Card and CD games(Use just need the CD ROM add-on to play those CDs).

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Jboypacman wrote:Just got a boxed SuperGrafx for X-mas from my wife and its great! Been wanting one for a while and glad i have it now even with it's limited line up of games(6 if you count Darius Plus which is a PC Engine Hu-Card that can take advanted of the systems hardware).

I traded my DUO-R and CD based games for every game for the system but one which i still need to get later this year.

BattleAce
CounterStrike 1943
Ghouls N Ghosts
Grand Zort

Am just missing Aldynes which is the second most pricey game for the system(CounterStrike is the most pricey from any where from a $150 to $200).

And remember guys if you do buy one it is backwards compatible with all PC Engine Hu-Card and CD games(Use just need the CD ROM add-on to play those CDs).
Counter Strike 1943? Don't you mean 1941? That's an awesome collection you got, I really miss mine and will have to get another soon. I have Ghouls & Ghosts and Battle Ace still, just need the system again. I sold it for $220 two years ago, boxed and complete.

Jboypacman

Post by Jboypacman »

Ter wrote:
Jboypacman wrote:Just got a boxed SuperGrafx for X-mas from my wife and its great! Been wanting one for a while and glad i have it now even with it's limited line up of games(6 if you count Darius Plus which is a PC Engine Hu-Card that can take advanted of the systems hardware).

BattleAce
CounterStrike 1943
Ghouls N Ghosts
Grand Zort

Counter Strike 1943? Don't you mean 1941? That's an awesome collection you got, I really miss mine and will have to get another soon. I have Ghouls & Ghosts and Battle Ace still, just need the system again. I sold it for $220 two years ago, boxed and complete.
Did i call it 1943 again lol i do that all the time and thanks i really do like having this system but i would not mind have a T-16 either again at some point but its nothing i really need at the moment.