I need your help guys with a special gift for an Icon

Video gaming books, magazines, and newsletters. If you can read it, discuss it in here!
triverse

I need your help guys with a special gift for an Icon

Post by triverse »

OK, here is the deal, Bill Kunkel is celebrating his birthday later this month and I have been trying to gather all of the articles he wrote for Electronic Games (the 90's edition). The article in question right now is "The Kunkel Report" there was one in each issue of EG and I have about, oh, 6 of the over 20 released available to me.
If anyone here has a copy of EG and could scan that one page for me I would be immensely in your debt and will make sure that your name (and site your associated with if not a member of RM) is credited for helping out.
There are two reasons these are special, one is that they are a gift back to Bill who has admitted many times to not having a complete run of his work available to him from his magazine days, this would help bring him that much closer to that goal.
Second, these are OFFICIAL releases, Bill has given permission for these articles to be released on Retromags, there is no possibility of legal backlash for releasing them. I have the press release ready right now, I am just not wanting to have to change it from "the release of the complete "The Kunkel Report"" to "the partial and ongoing release of "The Kunkel Report.""
Thanks for any and all help anyone can give towards this goal.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Re: I need your help guys with a special gift for an Icon

Post by Zap! »

I have the following issues: October 1992 (premiere issue), February 1993, and March 1993. Will any of these help you, or do you already have those issues?
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

triverse

Post by triverse »

Hey Ter, If you could scan the TKR from the October 92 and March 1993 issues those are needed badly.
Here is a list so far of what I have, counting yours there Ter (I am counting the April 1993 TKR as a donation from you since it is your issue now-I scanned it awhile back when I first got permission from Bill).

v1i1 Oct 92 (ter)
v1i2 Nov 92 (triverse)
v1i4 Jan 93 (triverse)
v1i5 Feb 93 (triverse)
v1i6 Mar 93 (ter)
v1i7 Apr 93 (ter)
v1i8 May 93 (triverse)
v1i9 Jun 93 (triverse)
v1i11 Aug 93 (triverse)

As you can see, it is woefully under populated. Bill has offered to help scan but I just feel wrong about asking him to donate to his own present-but he wants to anyhow since it is an Official release and all. Gotta love that guy, always willing to help. I will send this list over to him so he can see what we need and I will update it with what he has available.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

I have 500+ magazines under my bed, but you're in luck! My magazine rack came in the mail today, so I should have it scanned by tomorrow!
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

triverse

Post by triverse »

Thank you so much for your help with this. You are the only person that is actually coming through with anything out of about 30 that claim they would help (and this has been going on for about 2 months and no support yet from them).

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Here ya go, in high quality .pdf format!

Electronic Games October 1992

Electronic Games March 1993

triverse

Post by triverse »

Ter, thank you so much for your help. I will make sure it is duly noted in the release information.

I can extract the images for the RM CBZ/CBR release could you possibly make a PDF out of multiple images? That would help out a lot too as we have an increasing number of members that prefer PDF's.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

triverse wrote:Ter, thank you so much for your help. I will make sure it is duly noted in the release information.

I can extract the images for the RM CBZ/CBR release could you possibly make a PDF out of multiple images? That would help out a lot too as we have an increasing number of members that prefer PDF's.
Hmm, well I have the Epson Artisan 800 printer/fax/scanner. All I did was put the magazine on the scanner, and selected ".pdf" as an option. Most scanners nowadays will give you the option of what to scan to (.jpg, .gif, .bmp, .pdf., etc.).

I'm not sure how to combine and extract multiple images though. The best thing to do IMO is just to scan to .pdf.

triverse

Post by triverse »

I have those two and they look awesome, I have a image extractor here so I can get them out no problem.
I will keep looking for a program that can make PDF's (there are a surprising number of people that prefer that format for some reason-probably the fact that PDF's are widely supported with little hassle).

triverse

Post by triverse »

Going to post everything tomorrow. Wasn't quite able to gather up what I wanted but something is better than nothing and is a stepping stone to getting it completed.
Thank you Ter for your help, I will make sure to uphold my promise of crediting in the posts. It is surely going to be something great for Bill (he has already expressed great interest in the archiving idea and he likes it).

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

triverse wrote:Going to post everything tomorrow. Wasn't quite able to gather up what I wanted but something is better than nothing and is a stepping stone to getting it completed.
Thank you Ter for your help, I will make sure to uphold my promise of crediting in the posts. It is surely going to be something great for Bill (he has already expressed great interest in the archiving idea and he likes it).
Happy I could be of help, it was no trouble at all.

triverse

Post by triverse »

Thank you very much Ter, I am proud to say, Bill was very happy and he is very thankful that others outside of Retromags were willing to help with the release of his works. I have passed on the information about your forums here so he may stop by and say hi or something (he has been busy covering Comic Con and some other shows closer to him lately).

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

triverse wrote:Thank you very much Ter, I am proud to say, Bill was very happy and he is very thankful that others outside of Retromags were willing to help with the release of his works. I have passed on the information about your forums here so he may stop by and say hi or something (he has been busy covering Comic Con and some other shows closer to him lately).
Nice, that would truly be awesome and a great honor to have him stop by! I am so glad I was of help.

triverse

Post by triverse »

Found the update was posted on Zophar.net also, they posted the part I asked them too about the contributors:

http://www.zophar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11837

I know it isn't much and I wish it was able to do more for you guys here, hopefully it will have a snowball effect.