EGM is gone! :(

Video gaming books, magazines, and newsletters. If you can read it, discuss it in here!
Zap!
Zap! Commander

EGM is gone! :(

Post by Zap! »

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Ziff_Davis_ ... M?FC=PRCK1

Although this sucks and I am upset about it, in all honesty EGM died when Ed Semrad left. Even then it wasn't the same as when the great Steve Harris ran it, with Don Neuart at his side. Kind of like when Captain America and Green Lantern became different people. It was the same in name only.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Rob

Re: EGM is gone! :(

Post by Rob »

Wholeheartedly agree.

I had a near-complete run back in the mid-nineties. I loved EGM for the fact that you really got your moneys worth when you bought an issue, 200+ pages polybagged with cards, promo literature, extra catalogs and console magazines, etc.

The Semrad years were when EGM was at its most "no-BS" hardcore unbiased reporting. Gonzo gaming, if you will.

The last several years have been hit and miss, and though I'm surprised the magazine is ending, the writing has been on the wall for a while now. I can read through an issue while I'm sitting on the john, it's so threadbare. Of course, most of the US gaming mags are the same way, so when can we expect to see GI, Nintendo Power, Gamepro et.al begin to fold?

I'm just curious if they plan on reimbursing me my subscription.

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Rob wrote:
I'm just curious if they plan on reimbursing me my subscription.
I'm wondering this myself.

It's really disappointing. I've been reading EGM forever, but I think I saw it coming after the Dan Hsu/Ubisoft dispute. EG< was the one game mag I always put above all others (well, except GameFan, that was awesome too). I hate that the only mags out worth their salt is Game Informer and Nintendo Power, but I read recently that there were rumors that NP was ending soon too. :|

Rob

Post by Rob »

Yes, that would truly be the end of an era. NP has supposedly been in hot water for several years now, and they've been bought and sold two or three times in the last few years- almost like EGM. Honestly I can do without NP; I buy them out of nostalgia. I have a near complete run and I don't want any gaps. They lost me during the N64 era, and they've just been a shadow of their former selves since then.

But, when we lose one gaming mag, especially one of the longer running ones, we have to start examining the status of gaming mags in general. I think with the advent of the internet, gaming publications are becoming more and more irrelevant as time goes on. Let's hope EGM was an isolated incident, right?

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Yea, I'm kinda the same way buying NP out of nostalgia. Occasionally they have a good article about days past, or a new review of a classic game. Same thing with GI. This month's issue has a decent article on ActRaiser.

But yea, hopefully, EGM will be the last to go, but like your said, with the advent of the internet, I doubt it. Outside of Retro Gamer and the UK mags, all I ever see at bookstores is NP,GI, Play, Gamepro, and PC Gamer.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Up until the mid-90's, I had the enite collection. Check out the earlier 1991 issues, and look up the name for the high score in Monster Lair. Tell me what you see. :)
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

TheSSNintendo

Post by TheSSNintendo »

My brother used to be into EGM back in the day. I think he started reading them from around issue #54 (Mortal Kombat II) to about somewhere into the early 100's. I even have an issue from '92-ish that had Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past on it.

Erosion_Of_Sanity

Post by Erosion_Of_Sanity »

Wow that sucks! I used to love EGM back in the day.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------