So when did making the home arcade stop?

This era brought us the CD-i, Laser Active, 3DO, Atari Jaguar, Sony PlayStation, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, and others

Moderator: Carlos

RegalSin
Banned

So when did making the home arcade stop?

Post by RegalSin »

As we all know the original point of home videogames was to bring home the arcade.

There was the

Atari
Sega Master System ( Atari clones )
PC-Engine
and various others. ( mostly atari clones )

Then of course you had the computer generations

Commendore64
MSX series
Apple
Amiga
IBM

Then finally they did it. They set the game standards. Not for hme arcade but just for games in general.

The NES

So now to jump ahead of the 16-bit commercial rush. In my light I see the Sega Saturn
is the final dedicated Home arcade system on the face of the planet, unless I am mistaken.
Just look at everybody else. The SNES was a big commercial filled with RPG games, the Genesis was a old pervert hanging on for dear life, and then comes the N64 which was Nintendo's big
screw you Sony, while Sony released the PSX that was really just a SNES with everything built
in minus the carts.

I mean the Saturn is what the PC-engine could have been and what the SNES looked like to most people. A perfectly balanced system that was still Arcade dedicated. What is sad is how Sega floppyed up and released the Dreamcast that dropped support for past systems, and was like a computer then a game system to most viewers. I mean I felt they brought Japan+Vodo gaming to the gamers eyes.

I am not even going into network support. Since all systems can support Online gameplay even the atari.

Then what is even more sad is that arcades eventually died out.So what do you think the last pure arcade system was.
Just walk away and you can live. Just walk away and it all can be over. Dont bother responding.

megasdkirby

Re: So when did making the home arcade stop?

Post by megasdkirby »

Around here, arcades died when they were charging $1 OR MORE to play the games. Most realized that it just wasn't worth paying so much for a quick play, so it eventually died over here.

However, one location I know put EVERY game for 25 cents a play...and they are still packed to this day.