Genesis or SNES guy

From 1989-1993, the 16-bit revolution was in full swing, with the Sega Genesis, NEC Turbo Grafx 16, Super Nintendo, and SNK Neo-Geo (self-proclaimed 24-bit)

Moderators: megasdkirby, Rob, Carlos

CMA Death Adder

Re: Genesis or SNES guy

Post by CMA Death Adder »

For me, the Sega Genesis wins.

I admit that most of my friends had the Super Nintendo, my best friend being one of them. Just about every time I went over to his house, we played it. We had Mortal Kombat tournaments, we played Super Mario World to death, we beat the tar out of each other in Legends of the Ring, and we thought "WTF?" while playing Plok! Everything was fine and dandy like sour candy.

Then, one day, his older sister's boyfriend brought over the Sega Genesis. I was amazed. I was hooked. I was obsessed. Sonic the Hedgehog was way more exciting to me than Super Mario World, and had such cool music. I vastly preferred the Genesis controller over the SNES one. Every time I got the chance to try something on the Genesis, I didn't want the experience to go away. And - HEY - my favorite game from the arcade, Golden Axe, was also on the Genesis, along with a sequel!

I eventually bought a Genesis of my own from the local FuncoLand (those were the days), and started to bliss out with the machine in my own home. A few years and lots of games later, I thought, "Why isn't anyone making NEW games for the Genesis?", but no one answered me. So I decided to start doing it myself @ superfighter.com!

While I will never forget all the fond memories my best friend and I had with the Super Nintendo, the Sega Genesis won my heart for a lifetime, and I'll never look back.
- Brandon Cobb
President, Super Fighter Team
Check out Zaku, the crazy-fast new shooter for Atari Lynx!

RegalSin
Banned

Post by RegalSin »

Supperrrr NEESSSSS foorrreeeevvvveeerrrr....no really even if the Genesis was a pro-anime pro-1985 system it's only eqaul was the NES.

The Genesis had alot of nice power to back it up but the games we had was just kill kill bang bang type of games. Most of titles people owned was

Sonic :sonic: :sonicthehedgehog3md: :sonicthehedgehog2:
Street Fighter :chun-li:
Sports title
That is about it.

The SNES had the Nintendo Army of Doom Star line up with most the characters
on the side bar in fact :kirby_fire: :samusrunr: :contra: :linkwalkleft: :Link_slash: :mariohammer: :mario: :koopa: :smilie_goomba: :MegaManXRunning: :mario-link-fight:

:starman: :gameboy: :king_hippo:

I mean the SNES was one big commecial smasher. Everything on the SNES was just an graphical and sound upgrade of the NES but in that right with the usage of SUPER in it's title kept the
old flag going

This image pretty much sums up the SNES lifespan.
1. looked good no matter what.
2. Did it's job twice as fast giving it enough boost over the Genesis
3. Compact Discs was it's cryptonite and saying the word "N64" would give it serzuires
4. It did a grand job of selling the idea of standard gaming to the world even thou the famicom
is still the standard especially in China.
5. RPG beast.
6. Had graphics that was 32-bit looking and has been proving to be a contender even in todays
gaming market.
7. If nintendo wanted to they could just go right back to the Super Nintendo

In short he SNES was the most commercialized system on the face of the planet and in truth it had nothing but Mario to offer.

Back to the Genesis.

1. Arcade graphics ( no differnt the SMS )
2. That 1980's animation cartoon feeling. I mean playing these games felt like watching an animtion. Fully fluid and such.
3. Again had much to offer but so little.
Just walk away and you can live. Just walk away and it all can be over. Dont bother responding.

hoaryhag

Post by hoaryhag »

My first console was a nes and I liked it, remember getting it for Christmas and finding the box hidden under my parents bed. My next console was a genesis because my friend had an sms and I liked it and he was a sega fan and my main playing buddy. Today I own genesis/cd/32x and snes and I love them both and they both have a lot of good 16 bit gaming to offer. Ya the snes has better color in a lot of instances but genesis had its pluses too. Ultimately the end quality of the game depends on the designer and I have found fantastic games for both systems that I never knew existed then.
Last edited by hoaryhag on Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

RegalSin
Banned

Post by RegalSin »

You want to talk about the Genesis not being the NES rival?

You know what I am too tired to respond to this. The Genesis went threw three make overs including the Saturn as number four to fight the SNES and in all that time they failed. If the PSX had not came along as it did the SNES would probably be flooded with 3d games from left to right fighting the saturn at every angle.

Sega was way safer with the Sega Master System. The Genesis was like a parent busting rymes or a thirty year old trying to date a teenager. It had the power and rode the eye of the storm but man that thing was so out dated in terms of videogames. Just thinking about it gives me nightmares.

Then again I grewed up in USA and not Nippon :Alex:
Just walk away and you can live. Just walk away and it all can be over. Dont bother responding.

hoaryhag

Post by hoaryhag »

:mario-link-fight:
Last edited by hoaryhag on Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

gamemaster

Post by gamemaster »

Well i like the 2 system me it was the turbo grafx system all the way if that system was still going now it would be number 1 now

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Ok guys, lets not start another pointless Nintendo vs. Sega flame war here....

Personally, I don't think there's that much difference between the two. It's really personal preference.

SNES had Final Fantasy, Genesis had Phantasy Star
SNES had Mario, Genesis had Sonic
SNES was RPG heavy, Genesis was sports heavy....

I could go on forever.

Yeah, Sega fought hard to compete with Ninteno by putting the Genesis on life support with the Sega CD and 32X. Sega CD may not have taken off, but it was very innovative for it's time, had superstar musicians like David Bowie and Michael Jackson interested in the technology, and it even had support from Hollywood. While most of them were crap, Sega CD did have some great games like Snatcher, Vay, Dark Wizard, the Lunar games, Shining Force CD, and Sonic CD (best in the series, IMO) among others. 32X had a small handful of decent titles, but yea, it was already dead before it was released with the Saturn coming out.

And saying the Saturn failed because it couldn't compete with the SNES is just dumb. Saturn was a great system, and still is, especially for importers like myself.

Apples and oranges...

hoaryhag

Post by hoaryhag »

I apologize to all. It was not my intention to start an argument on my first post in this thread, and I edited my posts to reflect this. I wish everyone good gaming. :kirby_fire:

Rob

Post by Rob »

No harm, no foul. :2_thumbs_up:

And good post, Carlos. That pretty much sums up the entire Sega vs. SNES argument in a nutshell.

RegalSin
Banned

Post by RegalSin »

Unintelligent babble.
Last edited by Rob on Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made it easier to read and comprehend.

Jibbajaba

Post by Jibbajaba »

My first console was the NES which I loved (and all of my friends had), but for some reason I picked the Genesis over the SNES back then. My best friend saved up and bought one (we were in 9th grade at the time), and I thought it was really cool so I asked for that for my birthday. All of my other friends had a SNES, which I thought was neat, but I never regretted my decision. We didn't have much money, and I was never responsible enough to actually save money to buy games, so I never had that many games for the system. I loved Sonic the Hedgehog (which was the pack-in when I got mine), and I had Starflight and Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday (both great games). I would often borrow games from people at school, and that allowed me to play Strider, Golden Axe, and Turrican. Even today, the Genesis is probably my favorite console although I now own both. The nice thing about being into classic gaming is that you can afford to buy both, so it doesn't matter which one is "better".

Chris

Golden Beast Studios

Post by Golden Beast Studios »

I'm a SNES guy for sure. I never liked the sound on the genesis, it was always so rough. Admitedly, a lot of the games where "cooler" than what you might find on the SNES, but the overall quality of games on the SNES was higher (at least in my humble opinion).
Check out our games at www.goldenbeaststudios.com

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Golden Beast Studios wrote:I'm a SNES guy for sure. I never liked the sound on the genesis, it was always so rough. Admitedly, a lot of the games where "cooler" than what you might find on the SNES, but the overall quality of games on the SNES was higher (at least in my humble opinion).
I tend to agree. I like the controllers a lot better too.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube