Dragon Warrior

1985-1989 gave us the Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Master System, Atari 7800, XE Game System, etc. Great times indeed.

Moderators: megasdkirby, Carlos

Carlos

Dragon Warrior

Post by Carlos »

So I started up a new game of Dragon Warrior today and my God, I forgot just how damn hard this game is early on. I mean leaving the main castle and going to the first town and then to the cave was crazy. After fighting a couple of blue and red slimes and then the occasional drakee, I had to haul ass to the town to heal at the inn. I'll admit that I had to go on GameFAQs just to remember were to go and what items to get. I then had to grind, grind, grind just to survive Magicians, Scorpions, and Magidrakees. It sucked because they keep casting that fucking HURT spell and you loose half your life, and then if you die, not only do you have to restart from the castle, but half your gold is gone! I took me hours just to get enough gold to upgrade from club and leather armour to the copper sword and chain mail. Things are starting to get a bit easier, but now I'm running into Ghosts, Skeletons, and Metal Scorpions. I can fight them alright, but they sure do pack a mean punch. Anyone else have these problems when starting out Dragon Warrior. How are the sequels? Do they require pain in the ass level grinding to stay alive? I know it's usually a staple of RPGs, but non-stop level grinding really kills it for me. I'm all for the story!

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Re: Dragon Warrior

Post by Zap! »

Carlos wrote:So I started up a new game of Dragon Warrior today and my God, I forgot just how damn hard this game is early on. I mean leaving the main castle and going to the first town and then to the cave was crazy. After fighting a couple of blue and red slimes and then the occasional drakee, I had to haul ass to the town to heal at the inn. I'll admit that I had to go on GameFAQs just to remember were to go and what items to get. I then had to grind, grind, grind just to survive Magicians, Scorpions, and Magidrakees. It sucked because they keep casting that fucking HURT spell and you loose half your life, and then if you die, not only do you have to restart from the castle, but half your gold is gone! I took me hours just to get enough gold to upgrade from club and leather armour to the copper sword and chain mail. Things are starting to get a bit easier, but now I'm running into Ghosts, Skeletons, and Metal Scorpions. I can fight them alright, but they sure do pack a mean punch. Anyone else have these problems when starting out Dragon Warrior. How are the sequels? Do they require pain in the ass level grinding to stay alive? I know it's usually a staple of RPGs, but non-stop level grinding really kills it for me. I'm all for the story!
Dragon Warrior was first featured in Nintendo Fun Club way back in 1987, as Dragon Quest. I got it when it finally came out, but to me it was way too late, and it never matched its Japanese success. Still, I thought it was an overall very good little RPG. I did beat it, and took tones of notes, which I still have. I really can't remember if it was hard or not, it's been 18+ years since I played it seriously.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Arkhan

Post by Arkhan »

all, and i mean

ALL of the DQ games require grinding. The sequels are excellent. DQ3 is my favorite RPG on the NES. The story telling that was a bit doofy in DQ1 improved in DQ2 and has only gotten better...

plus you have multiple party members, which adds to the depth of the game.

They are all worth at least checking out.

DQ3, and DQ5 are my favorites of the series. I recommend them

and holy crap did i resurrect the crap out of this thread.
"I FEEL ASLEEP"
--Guard from Metal Gear
--Aetherbyte Studios: PC Engine and more homebrew!

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Arkhan wrote:

and holy crap did i resurrect the crap out of this thread.
LOL! Nothing wrong with that. Dragon Quest/Warrior are true RPG classics and should be staples for any RPG fan!

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Arkhan wrote:and holy crap did i resurrect the crap out of this thread.
You will find out that unlike on other boards, I welcome digging up old threads and adding to the discussion. The older the better for me. :D
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Arkhan

Post by Arkhan »

oh cool. :)

I don't really like being yelled at for reviving old threads....

:) especially If the thread "died" before I registered, rofl.
"I FEEL ASLEEP"
--Guard from Metal Gear
--Aetherbyte Studios: PC Engine and more homebrew!

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Arkhan wrote:oh cool. :)

I don't really like being yelled at for reviving old threads....

:) especially If the thread "died" before I registered, rofl.
No thread is ever dead. They just remain dormant until they are revived. :D

triverse

Post by triverse »

Dragon Quest 1 is my fave because it follows the style I prefer while playing RPG's, controlling a single character. No having to have 400 healing potions on hand for 4+ members of my party to stay alive and such.

It is indeed hard. Though, for me, it was quite a bit easier in the second half, probably because I level grind so much in the beginning. Great game anyhow. Hard as nails too.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

triverse wrote:Dragon Quest 1 is my fave because it follows the style I prefer while playing RPG's, controlling a single character. No having to have 400 healing potions on hand for 4+ members of my party to stay alive and such.

It is indeed hard. Though, for me, it was quite a bit easier in the second half, probably because I level grind so much in the beginning. Great game anyhow. Hard as nails too.
Dragon Warrior 1 on the NES is the only one I ever played. I pretty much got it as soon as it came out. I remember writing down pages and pages of hints from townspeople. My friends thought I was crazy, but I beat it, and they didn't. Ahh, the pre-internet days...