Super Mario Bros. vs. Alex Kidd in Miracle World

1985-1989 gave us the Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Master System, Atari 7800, XE Game System, etc. Great times indeed.

Moderators: megasdkirby, Carlos

SMB is the better game
50%
AKIMW is the better game
30%
So close I can't pick one
No votes
I haven't played AKIMW enough to vote
20%

Total votes: 10

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Ok, first off, SMB came out in 1985, and AK came out in late 1986 (1987 in the US). But let's pretend that they came out at the same time (to avoid the arguement that SMB is more original and groundbreaking). Also, put aside all the magic and memories that SMB got, and how it is probably the most memoriable game of all-time.

Now, with that aside, which is the better game? I'm going to go with AK. I believe it is more challenging, has better graphics, and the worlds are less repetitive. The only negitive thing about AK is the paper/scissers/stone gets old after a while. Thoughts? Please, put your bias aside folks, and rate the GAMES only, not the popularity, your memories, or classicness.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

megasdkirby

Re: Super Mario Bros. vs. Alex Kidd in Miracle World

Post by megasdkirby »

Alex Kidd for me!

I know Mario will win by a long shot, but I really did enjoy Alex Kidd more.

The only negative thing I can say is that the game is really short, while Mario can take a very long time to finish (without using warp pipes).

It's personal preference, I admit. Both are excellent titles.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

megasdkirby wrote:Alex Kidd for me!

I know Mario will win by a long shot, but I really did enjoy Alex Kidd more.

The only negative thing I can say is that the game is really short, while Mario can take a very long time to finish (without using warp pipes).

It's personal preference, I admit. Both are excellent titles.
While I played it earlier, I first got SMB (and my first NES) in January, 1987. I got my SMS in April, so I'd say I got AK by May, June tops. While I love both, I've always liked AKIMW better than SMB. While it's shorter, I believe it's harder and levels are far less repetitive. I really wish Sega would bring back the Kidd. :Alex-Punch:
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

I had a SMS before I ever had an NES. I think for the most part graphically and sound-wise, the SMS was greatly superior to the NES. I loved the ports of OutRun and Hang-On that the MasterSystem had. Nothing the NES did could touch those. While I never owned Alex Kidd, I could see where one would think that it could be better than SMB. Even some of the later titles on the NES, like Kirby's Adventure, couldn't hold a candle to a game such as Quartet which was released 6 years earlier.

The thing the NES had was simplicity in game play and a third party support monopoly. Rarely in any generation did I think that Nintendo was clearly superior to its rivals, but it usually did very well if not the best out of all of them. (Especially in handhelds.)
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

megasdkirby

Post by megasdkirby »

I liked AKMW more because I felt it had better gameplay. It played like an actual adventure, where Mario felt like a chore at times, and very repetitive. It's not a bad game, but at least in AK I had several things to do, and each level was unique in every way.

My main complaint about AK is one thing: it's too short! I even had the urge to learn how to increase levels in the game and even add levels using existing graphics and sound. Heck, make it a 4M game!

I just wish I knew how :)

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

megasdkirby wrote:I liked AKMW more because I felt it had better gameplay. It played like an actual adventure, where Mario felt like a chore at times, and very repetitive. It's not a bad game, but at least in AK I had several things to do, and each level was unique in every way.

My main complaint about AK is one thing: it's too short! I even had the urge to learn how to increase levels in the game and even add levels using existing graphics and sound. Heck, make it a 4M game!

I just wish I knew how :)
It was short, but was quite hard. I don't know of many people who beat it in 1987. I got up to the last screen but died jumping on a spike.

Remember that major tip I gave Dom about how you can float to the top and touch spikes in water without dying? :)

crazy climber

Post by crazy climber »

Sorry man but SMB wins all the way, it's just a better game. I would have picked AK just because I have played mario soooooo many times but now that I recently played through Miricle world I choose Super Mario Bros :supermariobros35nes:

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

crazy climber wrote:Sorry man but SMB wins all the way, it's just a better game. I would have picked AK just because I have played mario soooooo many times but now that I recently played through Miricle world I choose Super Mario Bros :supermariobros35nes:
How long have you had AKIMW? My reason for choosing it might be related to the fact that I bought the game new in the 8th grade in 1987. The magic was always there from the start. :Alex-Punch: :mariohammer:

megasdkirby

Post by megasdkirby »

crazy climber wrote:Sorry man but SMB wins all the way, it's just a better game. I would have picked AK just because I have played mario soooooo many times but now that I recently played through Miricle world I choose Super Mario Bros :supermariobros35nes:
My guess it's because of length and re playability, which I admit, Mario scores big there. Once you finish AKIMW, it's pretty much straightforward.

Still, I prefer AKIMW more...always hated SMB (finished it 14 years AFTER it's release!)

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

megasdkirby wrote:
My guess it's because of length and re playability, which I admit, Mario scores big there. Once you finish AKIMW, it's pretty much straightforward.

Still, I prefer AKIMW more...always hated SMB (finished it 14 years AFTER it's release!)
With me, it was the opposite. I beat SMB not long after I got it in 1987. With AKIMW, it took me years to beat it. I always could beat Janken, but died stepping on the symbols in the wrong order at the end. :Alex:

Rob

Post by Rob »

I gotsta go with SMB here.

RegalSin
Banned

Post by RegalSin »

The SEga master system is a 16-bit system and could have gave SEGA enough time to release a proper game system instead of that abomination of a death star. I am playing one right now.

I choose Alex Kid since it had a far more present day of a series then A fat man down a pipe drain and the fact I finished SMB and all I got was a stinking song and enemy line up. The problem with Alex was that he was not a kid but a monkey, Goku, Mantos, or whatever. Mario was a built man and Alex being stuck in Anime land instead of brooklyn doomed with the idea that

Foreingers are dumb and too stupid to understand Japanese gameplay. This thinking is probably what doomed Alex Kid from the start. I mean look at the promotion for him. He looks like a wild kid or something. I mean why not just use his regular appearance as with Mario. Well the trtuth is that he is not a kid he is a monkey. :Alex: :chun-li:
Just walk away and you can live. Just walk away and it all can be over. Dont bother responding.

megasdkirby

Post by megasdkirby »

RegalSin wrote:The SEga master system is a 16-bit system...
16-bit? I think you meant 8-bit.