What's your favorite classic Atari System?

1977-1983 were some of the best years ever, and brought us the 2600, 5200, Intellivision, Colecovision, Vectrex, and many others

Moderators: Rob, Darryl B.

gamemaster

Re: What's your favorite classic Atari System?

Post by gamemaster »

7800 that the one for me it play 2600 games i like the 5200 too :atari2600:

nathanallan1

Post by nathanallan1 »

7800. Plays all my 2600 games and I have that really cool NES conversion controller from doubledownon11. Makes the system much more fun to play than the Prolines.
http://www.gamegavel.com RULES!

Covering the world in Genesis goodness!

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

I am also one of the few who loved my 1987 Atari XE Game System. I even ordered the disk drive off of Tim Duarte (The 2600 Connection) and had and absolute blast with it. But I guess it leans more toward computer than console.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

MaximumRD

Post by MaximumRD »

Having recently received a 7800 I gotta say I am really happy and impressed with it................
Oldshool gaming, some people will never "Get it"
Check out my Classic Gaming Videos: RATE ! COMMENT!
http://ca.youtube.com/user/MaximumRD

nathanallan1

Post by nathanallan1 »

I'll go with the 7800 on this. I like it's ability to be modded, the controllers can be "imported" from another system (I have an NES converted, makes it so much easier to play than the Prolines), and it just has a look to it that really appeals to me. Plus it can play all the 2600 library, and that's a plus for me.

The 2600 would have gotten it but the 7800 graphics are slicker (when playing its own games) and as much as I liek the woodgrain the silver/black does it for me.

The 5200 is too big, I can't stand the controllers and it's a pain to work on. I tend to see the consoles from the inside out.

Nathan
http://www.gamegavel.com RULES!

Covering the world in Genesis goodness!

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

A little off topic, but how is Scrapyard Dog on the 7800? I've always wanted it, as it's one of the few side scrollers on the system. How does it compare to Super Mario Bros.?
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Rob

Post by Rob »

I'd like to know too. I never played that one but the screenshots look cool.

Dan Iacovelli

Post by Dan Iacovelli »

I started with a 2600 went to 7800 (passed over the 5200)

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Rob wrote:I'd like to know too. I never played that one but the screenshots look cool.
I heard it wasn't as fast, but it sure looks fun. I've wondered about this for far too long. Wasn't it also a Lynx game, or am I mistaken?

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

No, you're correct. I want to play and/or own this game too. Some day...
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

Ter wrote:A little off topic, but how is Scrapyard Dog on the 7800? I've always wanted it, as it's one of the few side scrollers on the system. How does it compare to Super Mario Bros.?
Man, even looking on YouTube there is no gameplay video. Was the game that rare or did nobody ever care to play it?
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

TwinChargers wrote:
Ter wrote:A little off topic, but how is Scrapyard Dog on the 7800? I've always wanted it, as it's one of the few side scrollers on the system. How does it compare to Super Mario Bros.?
Man, even looking on YouTube there is no gameplay video. Was the game that rare or did nobody ever care to play it?
I doubt it's rare, you can get it new and sealed for under $20. I will have to pick up a copy after the holidays. Doubt it can compare to SMB, but I'll keep an open mind.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Dan Iacovelli wrote:I started with a 2600 went to 7800 (passed over the 5200)
Did you ever get an Atari XE Game System? People rag on it, but I loved mine.

Dan Iacovelli

Post by Dan Iacovelli »

Ter wrote:
Dan Iacovelli wrote:I started with a 2600 went to 7800 (passed over the 5200)
Did you ever get an Atari XE Game System? People rag on it, but I loved mine.
never got an xe system either

Rob

Post by Rob »

I've still got my original XE, and I'm as indifferent to it today as I was in 1988. :)

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Rob wrote:I've still got my original XE, and I'm as indifferent to it today as I was in 1988. :)
It's underrated. After three years or so of owning it, in 1991 I bought Tim Duarte's 1050 (I think it was a 1050) disk drive for $100 with 100's of games on many disks. That gave me all the time in the world to catch up on tons of games I never got the chance to see in the early 80's.

Tim, btw, is the founder of The 2600 Connection, a fanzine I'm proud to admit that inspired me to found Zap!

Dan Iacovelli

Post by Dan Iacovelli »

Ter wrote:
Rob wrote:I've still got my original XE, and I'm as indifferent to it today as I was in 1988. :)
It's underrated. After three years or so of owning it, in 1991 I bought Tim Duarte's 1050 (I think it was a 1050) disk drive for $100 with 100's of games on many disks. That gave me all the time in the world to catch up on tons of games I never got the chance to see in the early 80's.

Tim, btw, is the founder of The 2600 Connection, a fanzine I'm proud to admit that inspired me to found Zap!
I enjoyed the 2600 connection fanzine as well, my own fanzine went public shortly after tims

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Dan Iacovelli wrote:
Ter wrote:

I enjoyed the 2600 connection fanzine as well, my own fanzine went public shortly after tims
Tim and his 2600 Connection was my inspiration for founding Zap! in 1991. He was like a big brother to me, we wrote each other maybe 100 times. I still have all his letters too.

Jboypacman

Post by Jboypacman »

Having at one point owned all of the Atari home systems i must say that the 2600 is my favorite of the bunch.

I own a 6-switch wood grain model(non-heavy)and i just love it! as far as the other ones i have owned here is my opinion on each of them.....

5200: Big and Bulk with crappy controllers your better off getting a Atari 400/800/XEGS computer to play the same games but with 2600 controllers.

7800: Not a bad system at all and there are some good games for it and the homebrews are really coming on strong for it but it always bothered me that it has such a "unique" power supply that can be hard to replace.

Jaguar: I tried to give the Jaguar some love i really did but in the end i think it is just a terrible system with the only game in my opinion worth buying one for being Tempest 2000(sorry Jag fans).

Lynx:Ok not for sure i can add this here or not but i am....The Lynx was/is impressive but outside of a few of the games i had for it i could not get into this hand held system.

Atari 800XL: Again another one not for sure i can add but will....I like this way better than the 5200...Same games but you can use better controllers.

Just my personal take on these systems guys sorry if i offended anyone with my opinions on these.
Last edited by Jboypacman on Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

I doubt you did :)
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi