What's your favorite classic Atari System?

1977-1983 were some of the best years ever, and brought us the 2600, 5200, Intellivision, Colecovision, Vectrex, and many others

Moderators: Rob, Darryl B.

Rob

What's your favorite classic Atari System?

Post by Rob »

Between the VCS/2600, 5200, or the 7800, which one do you find yourself more drawn to?

I like the 2600 for the aesthetics, a great design that compliments any room decor and makes everyone huddle around and ask questions. Well, non-retro gamers anyway. It's also one of, if not the most historically important consoles to hit these shores.

I like the 5200 because I think it had the best games on it. Or should I say, the number of crap games was far outweighed by the number of decent games. That's a track record that can't be touched by the 2600's rampant shovelware and the basic lack of programming for the 7800. However, the horrible design of the controllers knocks this one off my favorites list.

And as for the 7800? Well, the number of original games for it were limited compared to the massive 2600 library. Most of the games that I enjoy on it are re-done 2600 titles. The other games on it that interest me had superior versions put out by Nintendo and Sega, so there's not a whole lot out there that grabs me.

However; in terms of convenience, picture quality, better joysticks, better build quality, and a smaller size, I'd have to say I favor the 7800. It plays 99% of the 2600 titles, with the added bonus of playing 7800 games. The display is better on my TV's, with less interference than the original heavy sixer.

It's still hard for me to pick an absolute best, but it's a toss up between the 2600 and the 7800. If it came down to being stranded on a desert island, though, I'd pick the 7800.

Jakenut86

Re: What's your favorite classic Atari System?

Post by Jakenut86 »

Well the only one I have is a 2600 So I'd have to say its my favorite :)

It also seems that the 2600 has a lot more homebrew activity then the 5200 or 7800. So there are more newer games that you can look forward to.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I'm voting for the 2600, because believe it or not, it's the only Atari system I've ever played. I remember spending hours playing Pole Position, Pac-Man, and Berserk.

I really want a Jaguar though, just for the sole purpose of playing Aliens vs. Predator

Jakenut86

Post by Jakenut86 »

AvP for the Jag is Awesome :) There are also a lot of other games for it that I enjoy playing
_________________________________________________________________________________

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

I'll probably have to go with the 2600, just because it's such a classic and for the sheer amount of games released. It was also my first system, and is a lot of fun to collect for. I don't own any ultra-rare games. The rarest I have for it are Swordquest: Waterworld and Crazy Climber.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

MaximumRD

Post by MaximumRD »

Currently as far as Atari goes I have only a Sears Video Arcade II (2600 compatible) I think it's design is pretty damn cool!
Oldshool gaming, some people will never "Get it"
Check out my Classic Gaming Videos: RATE ! COMMENT!
http://ca.youtube.com/user/MaximumRD

Jakenut86

Post by Jakenut86 »

Yeah, I remember watching you try and open it one-handed in one of your videos :)

MaximumRD

Post by MaximumRD »

Jakenut86 wrote:Yeah, I remember watching you try and open it one-handed in one of your videos :)

Heh heh yeah..............good times.
Oldshool gaming, some people will never "Get it"
Check out my Classic Gaming Videos: RATE ! COMMENT!
http://ca.youtube.com/user/MaximumRD

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

I, like Rob (not MaximumRD Rob), am gonna have to go with the 7800. I loved many of the arcade ports that came in the 7800 library. Joust, Xevious, Food Fight, Pole Position 2, Galaga... the list goes on and on. You also get the luxury of playing all the classics off of the 2600. Its quite visually appealing also.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

TwinChargers wrote:I, like Rob (not MaximumRD Rob), am gonna have to go with the 7800. I loved many of the arcade ports that came in the 7800 library. Joust, Xevious, Food Fight, Pole Position 2, Galaga... the list goes on and on. You also get the luxury of playing all the classics off of the 2600. Its quite visually appealing also.
Food Fight was great. How was Scrapyard Dog? How does it compare to Super Mario Bros.?
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

I never had Scrapyard Dog, so I can't say based on experience, but I heard that the controls are what keeps this game from being decent. Side scrollers aren't the best on the 7800 anyways.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

Rob wrote:It's also one of, if not the most historically important consoles to hit these shores.
Yep. It's the 2600 for me. :atari2600:
Rob wrote: However; in terms of convenience, picture quality, better joysticks, better build quality, and a smaller size, I'd have to say I favor the 7800. It plays 99% of the 2600 titles, with the added bonus of playing 7800 games.

It's still hard for me to pick an absolute best, but it's a toss up between the 2600 and the 7800. If it came down to being stranded on a desert island, though, I'd pick the 7800.
Yeah. I *should* say the 7800, due to being backwards compatible with the 2600, but I wasn't blown away by it in the least when I got mine in '88. Still play it/the 2600 games nowadays too, of course.
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Darryl B. wrote:Yeah. I *should* say the 7800, due to being backwards compatible with the 2600, but I wasn't blown away by it in the least when I got mine in '88. Still play it/the 2600 games nowadays too, of course.
I hear ya. I really like the 7800, but it's no 2600. I received the 7800 for Christmas, 1986. Loved it, but two weeks later I returned it and got a NES with the money. 2600 was easily my favorite Atari. :atari2600:

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

Ouch!

But then, I sold my Sega Master System so I could get my Genesis, so I can understand that.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Darryl B. wrote:Ouch!

But then, I sold my Sega Master System so I could get my Genesis, so I can understand that.
Well, back then I just turned 14, so I was broker than broke. I would have loved to keep both systems, but I wanted the NES badly and needed it ASAP. :nescartridge:

Amelyn

Post by Amelyn »

I like my 7800, since I bought it in near mint condition and it work better than all my 2600s. But I rather love using the 2600 joystick instead of the 7800's.

As for the 5200, I'm not interested!

:atari2600:

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Amelyn wrote:I like my 7800, since I bought it in near mint condition and it work better than all my 2600s. But I rather love using the 2600 joystick instead of the 7800's.

Have you ever tried the 5200? It's not that bad, but the joystick takes some serious time to get used to. I heard third party joysticks are available that are self-centering, but I've never seen one.

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

5200 has a pretty good, albeit small library. Very good arcade translations, except for Space Invaders, that's different than the original.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Ter wrote:
Amelyn wrote:I like my 7800, since I bought it in near mint condition and it work better than all my 2600s. But I rather love using the 2600 joystick instead of the 7800's.

Have you ever tried the 5200? It's not that bad, but the joystick takes some serious time to get used to. I heard third party joysticks are available that are self-centering, but I've never seen one.

Yep, I've got the Wico 5200 controller, and it has a switch that allows it to center itself or not center (default). Unfortunately, you still need the start/run button on your normal 5200 controller to work properly in order to use the Wico, which is why I'm still stuck without a working 5200 controller.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Rob wrote:
Ter wrote:

Yep, I've got the Wico 5200 controller, and it has a switch that allows it to center itself or not center (default). Unfortunately, you still need the start/run button on your normal 5200 controller to work properly in order to use the Wico, which is why I'm still stuck without a working 5200 controller.
Does anyone make a 5200 controller that is just like the original (same design and layout) but self-centering? That would be great. I've never seen one, but I suppose one can be modded rather easily.