Intellivision Intellivoice Module

1977-1983 were some of the best years ever, and brought us the 2600, 5200, Intellivision, Colecovision, Vectrex, and many others

Moderators: Rob, Darryl B.

TwinChargers

Intellivision Intellivoice Module

Post by TwinChargers »

Once again our friend MaximumRD comes through with some nice videos on Intellivisions Voice Module and games. Its been a long time coming, but he made this into a three-part series of videos. Here's a link to the first video and you can look on from there-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2VPh4D- ... annel_page

After watching the vid's, I find it rather unfortunate that Intellivision didn't support this little module a bit better than it did. I must say, the games themselves seemed a bit overly complicated, had they perhaps made more simplistic games with voice technology, maybe things could have worked out better for them. I've always kind of viewed the Intellivision company trying to do too much too soon, this possibly was just another example.
Last edited by TwinChargers on Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Jakenut86

Re: Intellivision Intellivioce Module

Post by Jakenut86 »

TwinChargers wrote:I've always kind of viewed the Intellivision company trying to do too much too soon, this possibly was just another example.
Wasn't it Mattel that made the Intellivision? I've never owned one so sorry if Im wrong, but Ijust thought that it was.
_________________________________________________________________________________

TwinChargers

Re: Intellivision Intellivoice Module

Post by TwinChargers »

Sorry, my mistake, Mattel made the Intellivision.

It seemed as if they made a system superior to the Atari in many ways, but they overcomplicated it with that controller and unnecessarily difficult games.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Actually, you're both right. INTV Corp. took over for Mattel in the late 80's. :)
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Rob

Post by Rob »

Yep. From what I've read, Intellivision was losing so much money that Mattel basically let that division buy itself out.

Jakenut86

Post by Jakenut86 »

Oh, see I told you I could be wrong.
_________________________________________________________________________________

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

I find it amazing that they kept the system going until 91. I can't find any new game releases after 89, but even that was a good run. Seems that while I was doing the research I found out about a lot of unreleased games. Wonder what happened to all of them? And a side note, for it being a 16 bit system, you'd think that they would have had a bit better graphics by 87 when Dig Dug and Pole Position were released. The 7800, not a 16 bit system, clearly had much better graphics in those two games, and less was known about the capabilities it had.

Rob

Post by Rob »

That's a good point. When I was a kid, I still played my NES regularly, even up into the Super NES/Genesis era. My friends would all talk about how I was backwards, because "16 Bit kicks ass!" Then I would point to the Intellivision in my closet and say "does it?"

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

I really wonder what the true graphical capabilities were for the Intellivision? What is the best game graphically, anybody know? Anything that is close to comparable to Super Mario Bros.? I guess I'm not too familiar with the Intellivision library, did they have much for side scrollers?

If it was indeed supported until the early 90's and it was indeed a 16 bit system you'd think they could have done a little better than what they did. I know the 2600 was supported until the early 90's also, but I think that system limitations kept it from continuing on. With as powerful as the intellivision claimed to be, whats its excuse?

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

TwinChargers wrote:I find it amazing that they kept the system going until 91. I can't find any new game releases after 89, but even that was a good run. Seems that while I was doing the research I found out about a lot of unreleased games. Wonder what happened to all of them? And a side note, for it being a 16 bit system, you'd think that they would have had a bit better graphics by 87 when Dig Dug and Pole Position were released. The 7800, not a 16 bit system, clearly had much better graphics in those two games, and less was known about the capabilities it had.
I think Super Pro Wresting had better graphics then most of the early INTV games. That was one of their late 80's games. Eventually, INTV would become a mail-order only company. I'll have to dig up my old early 90's INTV catalog to see what was unreleased.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

gamemaster

Post by gamemaster »

Intellivision was i great system too. every system made has games that are fun to play so it hard to pick one system out of all of them