Some ideas I had for some new sub-forums

Zap! forum news from the admin and mods, and also user tips on how to improve the board with any new ideas

Moderators: megasdkirby, Rob

Carlos

Some ideas I had for some new sub-forums

Post by Carlos »

So I was thinking about the site today and game up with some ideas for some sub-forums that I wanted to run by you guys.

* Reviews - Played a game that's an instant classic or a "shitload of fuck"? Tell us here. This is the place where we can post reviews of games, systems, toys, books, magazines, articles, and movies as long as it's related to anything video games whether it be classic or modern.

* High-Scores/Accomplishments - Are you elite? Show us your pictures or videos of high-scores, 1CCs, 9000 hit combos, speed runs, etc. Got a high score that got posted in Nintendo Power or another magazine. Show us the scan and be applauded for your achievement.

* Events/Contests - Game convention in town? Arcade auction in that spooky warehouse downtown? Pinball tournament coming up? Looking to get people together for a gaming night online or off? Sonic and Mario gonna duke it out at your local arena? Let us know. I also believe Ter wanted to start doing some contests, so maybe we could advertise that here as well.

* Help Desk - Don't know where to get the thermal pod to melt the Ice Wizard (points if you know the reference)? Stuck in a game? Need a code or a trick? 360 go AWOL with RROD? Can't get sound or picture from your system? Need parts for your mods? Need help coding or programming your homebrew? This would be a forum for tips and tricks, codes, shortcuts, and technical support, restoration, programming.

Let me know what you guys think. I'm open to any suggestions, changes, additions, omissions, or other ideas.

TwinChargers

Re: Some ideas I had for some new sub-forums

Post by TwinChargers »

Carlos wrote:
* Help Desk - Don't know where to get the thermal pod to melt the Ice Wizard (points if you know the reference)?
I believe the correct answer is the hit movie Big starring Tom Hanks.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

TwinChargers wrote:
Carlos wrote:
* Help Desk - Don't know where to get the thermal pod to melt the Ice Wizard (points if you know the reference)?
I believe the correct answer is the hit movie Big starring Tom Hanks.
DING! DING! DING! You are correct, sir!

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

A winner is he!
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

gamemaster

Post by gamemaster »

I like to see links to other sites that are not on gameing like dog site cooking cars and so on i know we all have other thing we like after games

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

More subforums would be nice. Maybe console specific thread pages for each generations forums. I like when a forum has a ton of different subforums, its like searching through a mansion with a ton of different rooms and your curious when the last time someone has came through there.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

TwinChargers wrote:More subforums would be nice. Maybe console specific thread pages for each generations forums. I like when a forum has a ton of different subforums, its like searching through a mansion with a ton of different rooms and your curious when the last time someone has came through there.
The problem with that is if there are too many subforums, sometimes you don't know where to post. Let's say add the sub-forms you want, and I want to talk about "Who's getting MLB The Show 2011." Where do I post it, in the Wii, PS3, or 360 sections? Also, it's hard to please everyone. Rob thinks there are way to many forums here, and I should just merge all the classic sub-forums into one, the same with modern sub-forums. I won't take anything away but I'll keep adding here and there. Any suggestions for just one or two forums?
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

Ter wrote: Let's say add the sub-forms you want, and I want to talk about "Who's getting MLB The Show 2011." Where do I post it, in the Wii, PS3, or 360 sections?
That might be a bad example since Sony is the only one with the rights to MLB The Show, but I can see what your saying.

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Ter wrote:Rob thinks there are way to many forums here, and I should just merge all the classic sub-forums into one, the same with modern sub-forums. I won't take anything away but I'll keep adding here and there. Any suggestions for just one or two forums?
Yea, we should merge all the classic into one, and all the modern into one. I think it would simplify things.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Carlos wrote:
Ter wrote:Rob thinks there are way to many forums here, and I should just merge all the classic sub-forums into one, the same with modern sub-forums. I won't take anything away but I'll keep adding here and there. Any suggestions for just one or two forums?
Yea, we should merge all the classic into one, and all the modern into one. I think it would simplify things.
See, that's the exact opposite view of Twinchargers. As a compromise, we'll leave it the way it is for now, with a rare add here and there if necessary.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Rob

Post by Rob »

I am by nature a minimalist, so take all my suggestions with the understanding that I'm the type of guy who owns three shirts, three pairs of pants, and six pairs of socks. ;)

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Rob wrote:I am by nature a minimalist, so take all my suggestions with the understanding that I'm the type of guy who owns three shirts, three pairs of pants, and six pairs of socks. ;)
How about just one classic gaming forum, Zap! :)

fidgedextro
Banned

Post by fidgedextro »

The problem with a site like this (and I've viewed many) is poor focus and promotion. I know you've posted on all the social networks, but there seems to be no coherence in the forums and threads. As a new member, I've already found problems as to where to look for my interests without having to delve through cavern after cavern. I have played him countless times, but I'm not Pitfall Harry. If you want to leave the site as an open-ended grab-bag of topics, that's OK. Most of these forums work that way, but it's also the reason they fade away. Once people say all they have to say about a given topic, they tend to leave. But videogames have nearly a 40-year history and there's plenty of room to discuss and debate. I have nothing to offer in the way of commentary on Wii, PLAYSTATION, XBOX... But I have a lot to say about videogames from PONG to TETRIS. I'll try to come up with a few topics, but there doesn't seem to be much interest in that era.

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

Well the thing is, this place has never had that many regulars. Once the few people we had took off/had problems/forgot, or whatever, it went dead. There IS a resurgence going on right now.

But I never left, just for the record :P
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi