Atari Cosmos

Never-released video games, hardware, and systems like the Ultravision, NEMO, Phantom, etc.

Moderator: megasdkirby

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Atari Cosmos

Post by Zap! »

This sounded like a pretty cool little handheld, although it apparently didn't live up to the hype. Atari claimed it was holographic, but it's merely just a LED with a hologram background that shifts with lights. Seems to me that it's similar technology to the Adventurevision, but different in its own way. Atari scrapped this at the last minute. I'm sure it was a wise decision, as I don't think it would have sold many units. A tiny handfull of prototypes exist, including one on eBay with a list price of $12,999 (it didn't sell, btw). I would love to own one of these babies, but I find it highly unlikely it'll ever happen.

You can read more of it on one of my favorite sites, TheHandhelMusum.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

nathanallan1

Re: Atari Cosmos

Post by nathanallan1 »

I think Curt Vendel has one of these at the atari museum, not sure, though. If I ever see one in the wild I'll be sure to snag it (like that'll ever happen).

Oh, um can we turn the snow off? It reeks havok with my Apple.
http://www.gamegavel.com RULES!

Covering the world in Genesis goodness!

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Re: Atari Cosmos

Post by Zap! »

nathanallan1 wrote:I think Curt Vendel has one of these at the atari museum, not sure, though. If I ever see one in the wild I'll be sure to snag it (like that'll ever happen).

Oh, um can we turn the snow off? It reeks havok with my Apple.
I never find any rare video gaming item in the wild. I have the worst luck with that. Even if I do find someone who has something rare, they always know exactly what it's worth anyway. Still looking for that boxed Adventurevision for $20. :)

As for the snow, you want to get rid of it already? But we just had a whopping 18 inches here in NYC?, the most in several years! :D Seriously, I will get rid of it shortly. Definitely by the end of the month.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube