So I got laid off again today :(

BS about anything you like in here, as long as it's not TOO controversial

Moderators: Rob, Carlos

Carlos

So I got laid off again today :(

Post by Carlos »

How fucked up is this?

Yesterday, my future mother-in-law was taken to the emergency room and is staying in the hospital due to illness. I didn't even get home until 2:30am this morning. I was so fucking tired and I could barely get out of bed. I was going to call in today, but decided to tough it out and go on into work as normal. Right when I walk in, my supervisor tells me that they're letting me (along with two others) go because business had slowed down significantly but they would like to call me to come back "in the Fall".

It doesn't make any damn sense. We just had a meeting about a month ago about how great we were doing on both an employee and overall business level and I was told about a huge potential business deal. I know it wasn't my performance. I had consistent high quality scores and although my production numbers weren't the highest, they weren't the lowest either. I know it's not an attendance thing. I was there every day and worked overtime when it was offered and required, while other co-workers would come in 15-20 minutes late every day!

On top of that, when my supervisor was breaking the news to me, he made it sound like it wasn't really a big deal, and even went on to tell me that I could use him or our COO as a reference. Then things get weird. We talk about my last check and he said that I'll also get paid for 9 hours of accumulated vacation time. I didn't even know we had vacation time (this place was a small start up in a hole in the wall office). I then ask how I go about filing unemployment, and he tells me that this isn't a lay off, but a termination.

Now wait a sec! Back up!

If I'm being terminated, why are you being so nice and telling me that there may be a job for me in the fall? Tell me you'd like to have me back in the future tells me I'm being laid off. Am I wrong on this?

I'm really at a loss for words here. I know I should be fucking pissed, and to a point I am. I guess it just really hasn't sunk in yet. I think I'm more saddened and disappointed than anything else. I mean, yea it was a small start up in a shithole office, but I really wanted to believe that things we gonna change, business would boom, and there would be a job for me then. But now that I think about it, maybe it's a blessing in disguise. I mean, I know for a fact this was my COO's fourth business venture. As a wholeseller, he did a ton of business on eBay and I know eBay shut them down for a month last year, and about a month ago, we were dangerously close to being suspended again.

I dunno. I just I'm just venting now.

If there's any bright side in this, I guess now I have more free time to spend on Zap again, lol.

:sonicthehedgehog2:

MaximumRD

Re: So I got laid off again today :(

Post by MaximumRD »

Sorry to hear, things are tough all over. I hope things pick up for you!
Oldshool gaming, some people will never "Get it"
Check out my Classic Gaming Videos: RATE ! COMMENT!
http://ca.youtube.com/user/MaximumRD

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

Yeah it does sound kind of strange, but being a small business, maybe the guy just isn't familiar with the terminology or something (lot of people don't understand what "full time" means, it means you work 40 hours or more, anything less is "part time"; they think if you're a temp [something I've done for years myself] that automatically means you do "part time" work, since your job isn't permanent, no matter how many hours you put in, which isn't correct).

Anyway, like Max said, that sucks a bit no matter how you look at it. I'd say go back to them months from now if you still don't have anything and if they'll re-hire you.
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Don't kill me Carlos, as I had to make light of a horrible situation, but I misread the thread title and thought it said "So I got laid today" :doggystyle:

Seriously though, this is truely awful. What he said it was you being terminated and not laid off, what reason did he give? Why you? Did you make any enemies with the bosses? If I can help you with anything at all, let me know buddy!
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

triverse

Post by triverse »

Carlos, go down and file unemployment tomorrow/today. Don't wait. Do it immediately. I live in Arkansas and here the boss can fire you for no reason whatsoever (as far as telling you, the employee-they have to give the unemployment office a reason). File the paperwork, if nothing else it may make them rethink the situation (I was terminated for no reason and after filing for unemployment the job offered me my old job back-backpedalling that paid off for me). It might work. Just call their bluff in this situation.
If nothing else, you can file for unemployment then go down and get emergency assistance like foodstamps and stuff (I know it is pretty degrading but you have to watch out for you and your family first).

Rob

Post by Rob »

I can't remember, is Texas a "right to work" state? If so, you're fairly screwed. I'd still file unemployment and see if you get it.

I'm sorry to hear that bro. My heart's out to you, man.

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

I don't know what we are, but you can be fired for no reason; don't know what that makes us.

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Thanks for all the well-wishes and support guys. It really means a lot and is greatly appreciated.

Ter, you fucking crack me up dude. :Dog_Laughing:

I re-filed for unemployment the moment I got back home yesterday. I filed it as a lay off because that's exactly what it was in my eyes. Why else would they want me back if it was a termination? Like I said before I never got written up, had any warnings, or anything like that. I don't think I made any enemies. I got along fairly well with everyone. It's just really weird. Personally, I think their eBay business (they're listed as AllTechWholesale, if anyone wants to know) and relationship with Radio Shack is faltering. They had that big potential business deal my friend and co-worker told me about, and I think the deal fell through. Why I got the shaft instead of others, I'll never know.

I'm not too worried about finances. I'm sure I'll collect unemployment and my fiance makes damn good money teaching. I know things will be hard for a while, but I'm in a hell of a lot better shape now than I was when I was unemployed months ago.

Right now, I'm just researching my options. I'm definitely looking at going back to school and maybe even getting out of IT and looking at a new career path.

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

Any ideas for the latter, or are you just thinking out loud for now?

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

Wow, the timing of all this is really incredible...just got this in my e-mail today!!

Free Master's Program...

In case you know of someone!

Wake Forest University has an opportunity for minority students to attend its MBA program for FREE, and so far, the response has been very poor. Please, please pass along this opportunity to your friends, families, and networks to see if there is an interest. This is a great school and a tremendous opportunity to attend a top graduate school.

See details below. The contact person for anyone who is interested is:

Derrick S. Boone, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Marketing

Room 3139 Worrell Professional Center

Babcock Graduate School of Management Wake Forest University 1834 Wake

Forest Drive Winston-Salem, NC 27109-8758 email:

derrick.boone@mba.wfu.edu
<http://webmailb.netzero.net/webmail/new ... m=0000L3G0:
001AHu8y00002c7z&block=1&msgNature=all&msgStatus=all&count=1246209508&co
ntent=central>

Web Site: http://mba.wfu.edu/ <http://mba.wfu.edu/>

Phone: (336).758.4475; Toll-free: (866) 925-3622; Fax: 336.758.4514

(Continue to read

below)__________________________________________________________________

Message from Derrick S. Boone, Ph.D.:

Greetings, I wanted to let you know about a great opportunity here at Wake Forest where you can get a FREE education and get PAID while you're doing it. Our Dean of the Schools of Business is the former CEO of PepsiCo and very committed to diversity. He's gone around to his CEO friends, who have agreed to donate a bunch of money to pay tuition and fees, provide a stipend, and a job, to diverse students. The details are below. The problem is, response to the program has been dismal! As a faculty member, I would be embarrassed for him to have to tell his CEO friends, "thanks so much for your donation, but unfortunately I have to give it back because we couldn't find any students who wanted it." So, I need your help. Please contact me if you, or ANYONE you know is interested in the program. Don't worry about whether or not you (or they) have taken the GMAT, etc. All you need to do at this point is JUST APPLY.

About the Program: The Master of Art in Management program is designed specifically for liberal arts majors only. The MA degree program is a 10 month intense study of the basic functional areas of business.

After graduation and working for approximately two years, all MA graduates are eligible to apply to Wake Forest as part of the MA/MBA joint degree program and get the MBA in one year. The new Dean, Steve Reinemund, has created a new scholarship for diverse students pursuing the MA degree called the Corporate Fellowship.

The Corporate Fellowship provides full tuition and a $21,000 stipend to cover living expenses. Additionally, each Corporate Fellow will participate in a practicum. The practicum has two components, educational and professional development. Each student will be assigned a mentor that is a high level executive with their sponsor corporation. The mentor will oversee an educational project covering 4 of the functional areas of business using their own corporation as the subject.

The student will visit the corporation 3 - 4 times during the program to present his/her results of their res arch project. Additionally, the "professional development" component of the fellowship provides career coaching and leadership development for the students.

The goal for the corporation is to be able to groom and hopefully, hire a top candidate from a diverse background for their organization. Of course, there is no obligation that the students accept any offer of employment. Still, the student benefits, even if they are not ultimately hired by their sponsor corporation in that they have the MA degree and the type of experience that will make them more marketable.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Wake Forest needing more minorities? Uh... ok. Sounds phishy to me. I'm currently next door to Wake Forest and it doesn't seem like they have a shortage of "minority" students.

Anyway, yes, if you can be fired for any reason then you are in a "right to work" state. Sucks donkey dick.

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Yea, Texas is a right to work state, but still....if it was termination they'd have to give me a formal notice which I would have to sign in acknowledgment of my termination, and that didn't happen. When the unemployment office inquires about why I was fired, they'll have to provide a reason and paperwork of my termination, but as I never received any notice or signed any forms...unemployment FTW!

megasdkirby

Post by megasdkirby »

I'm sorry to hear about the news, Carlos. :( I thought everything was going great, too. :(

I hope you can get a kickass job in the future. I don't quite believe your ex-boss, though. It seems to be a way to lessen the blow of getting laid off, by telling you they still "want you" (sorta).

I wish you the best, and I hope you snag a great job in the future!