So...

BS about anything you like in here, as long as it's not TOO controversial

Moderators: Rob, Carlos

TwinChargers

So...

Post by TwinChargers »

How long before sites like this really take off? I see we haven't really gotten much in terms of newer members lately which is somewhat unfortunate. I like the group of people we have currently, but it seems like we could have some really great threads and post if we had a few more people here. I see most of you also at Digital Space and a few at Atari Age, its kinda unfortunate that some of those people haven't drifted onto here.

Maybe we need a celebrity endorsement to get some hype for the site? Has to be someone retro though... anybody have Magnum P.I.'s cell phone number?
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Rob

Re: So...

Post by Rob »

This is the first site I've been a part of since launch, so it's interesting to see how big it will get. I too am curious as to why we don't get more traffic here, I figured it would be somewhat steady in terms of membership, but it seems like we've basically got the same core group that joined when the site launched. Maybe more plugging is in order...

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

Yeah, its like it had a really good first day or two, then kind of a slow trickle of people the last few weeks, to now no new members for a while. It was showing so much promise at the beginning. Really enjoy the crowd we have now though, certainly no complaints there.

Jakenut86

Post by Jakenut86 »

I've started putting a link to here in my signature for other forums. Hopefully some people may see it and come over. We can hope :)
_________________________________________________________________________________

MaximumRD

Post by MaximumRD »

Spread the word people, I hope to soon give some shoutouts and links to sites like this in future MaximumRD videos! I try to let people know about all my favorite sites, comr to think of it I am going to post a link to this site in my Facebook Group right now! SPREAD THE WORD PEOPLE!!!!! :occasion14:
Oldshool gaming, some people will never "Get it"
Check out my Classic Gaming Videos: RATE ! COMMENT!
http://ca.youtube.com/user/MaximumRD

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I thought a lot of forums frowned upon promoting other sites/forums. Like it takes away from what they have set up (if that makes sense). Outside of this forum, I'm on the neo-geo.com forum (I go by SegaBoy on there too), but I don't post on there too much as the majority of the members that post there are the ones that were there from the start, and they don't post that often. I've noticed most new members there don't contribute too much. Maybe out of fear of looking stupid? I dunno.

But yea, I'm with you guys. It does feel like things have slowed down a bit around here, but I think it's just a matter of time. We just gotta promote the name, refer friends/colleagues/co-workers, etc that are into retro and classic games, and just be patient and I'm sure things will pick up soon. Hopefully, we'll have the chat room up and running soon as well. That may bring some people in. We just gotta keep bugging Ter about it. :D

If anything, I'm unemployed at the moment and I'm online all the time, so if anyone wants to chat about games and whatnot, I'm on AIM and Yahoo IM.

Jakenut86

Post by Jakenut86 »

Yeah I'm sure eventually things will start picking up as more people learn about it. I'm also on Yahoo! IM.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Rob

Post by Rob »

Some guy over at DP was giving Ter some static over having a Zap! link in his sig, so I went ahead and put one in mine as well. I go by Astrocade on Digital Press and Superdevil over at Atari Age. Aside from those two other forums I don't really frequent any other gaming sites. I lurk a lot, but rarely contribute anything. Hell, I just recently started posting over at DP even though I've been lurking for a few years now. I really like what Ter's done with the forum and I hope we can get some new guys in here soon. Having said that, there's nothing wrong with the crew we have now! As I posted on another thread I like the group here because it seems like you're all knowledgeable about games in general, and there's not a lot of "fluff" or "filler text" like I see at the other sites. One thing I don't like about DP is that there's about fifty million threads but when you get down to it they almost all revolve around the same few topics.

Zap! FTW!

MaximumRD

Post by MaximumRD »

Just so you all know, I just finished uploading a new video to thank my subscribers thus far and also I took a moment to mention a couple sites INCLUDING THIS ONE, just a rough video but check it out, I hope you approve, if you want to bypass the boring bit go to about 7minutes in that is where I mention the sites! I put the link to here also in my comments and will add a clickable link in annotations.................

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

MaximumRD wrote:Just so you all know, I just finished uploading a new video to thank my subscribers thus far and also I took a moment to mention a couple sites INCLUDING THIS ONE, just a rough video but check it out, I hope you approve, if you want to bypass the boring bit go to about 7minutes in that is where I mention the sites! I put the link to here also in my comments and will add a clickable link in annotations.................
I watched your videos this morning. Really good work. Very informative. Also, thanks for mentioning chasethechuckwagon. I think it's my new eBay now, ha ha.

Jakenut86

Post by Jakenut86 »

Awesome! Just watched it. Can't wait to see your next video

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

So after your post, I went back on YouTube to watch your latest video. I didn't know I was number 60 when I subscribed this morning. Thanks for the shout out. It feels kinda cool. Like my little 15 seconds of internet fame, lol. Also pretty cool that you mentioned the site. Hopefully it will bring some of your subscribers over. Keep up the good work, man. :2_thumbs_up:

MaximumRD

Post by MaximumRD »

No problem your very welcome! :headbang:

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

Thanks for the shout out MaximumRD!
And with your plug in your new video, we should start getting more people in here in no time.

I just wanted to say, this is probably the most level headed message board I've been a part of. Atari Age too is usually top notch, and DP has also been informative, but I've seen a few nasty message board ruckuses in some forums. May it be fanboyism, or a distaste in another persons favorite games, this site just doesn't have that problem, and that's quite refreshing. You should see the ripping apart in some of the sports forums I'm in. It gets pretty brutal to say the very least.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks for th shout out Rob! :starman:

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

TwinChargers wrote:How long before sites like this really take off? I see we haven't really gotten much in terms of newer members lately which is somewhat unfortunate. I like the group of people we have currently, but it seems like we could have some really great threads and post if we had a few more people here. I see most of you also at Digital Space and a few at Atari Age, its kinda unfortunate that some of those people haven't drifted onto here.

Maybe we need a celebrity endorsement to get some hype for the site? Has to be someone retro though... anybody have Magnum P.I.'s cell phone number?
I will bump the thread again about the site on Digital Press once we get 1,000 posts. I too like the group of people, but we do need more. I am going to put it in more search engines, at a premium price. It's not easy getting new members, and no one new has joined in two weeks. I'd be happy if we had another 100 users, and 50 more daily-posters. Of course the ultimate goal would be 1,000's, let's cross out fingers and spread the word. :2_thumbs_up:
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

MaximumRD wrote:Just so you all know, I just finished uploading a new video to thank my subscribers thus far and also I took a moment to mention a couple sites INCLUDING THIS ONE, just a rough video but check it out, I hope you approve, if you want to bypass the boring bit go to about 7minutes in that is where I mention the sites! I put the link to here also in my comments and will add a clickable link in annotations.................
Wow, thank you for the shoutout. It wasn't about the C64, but that's ok. :)
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

MaximumRD

Post by MaximumRD »

Ter wrote:
Wow, thank you for the shoutout. It wasn't about the C64, but that's ok. :)
Sorry about that, yeah I ddin't really research I decided to just throw it in and sometimes I just start talking before I realize I don't have the whole story. Anyway though my main goal was just to mention it, put a link in my comments and hopefully get some like minded people interested, I figure once they are here they can learn the correct details LOL!

UPDATE!!!!
I JUST NOW CORRECTED IT WITH AN ANNOTATION STAING FOLLOWING:
Corrected for accuracy: It was a Classic Gaming Fanzine!
HOPE THAT helps!

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

Well, *I'm* here, and posting up a storm...hope y'all are happy! :P
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Darryl B. wrote:Well, *I'm* here, and posting up a storm...hope y'all are happy! :P
Yes, I am! Some admins don't like reviving old topics, but I thrive off it! I'm the King of recycled threads! :D