Moderators: Rob, Carlos

Zap!
Zap! Commander

NYC Man Fined $2,000 For Taking Discarded Garbage

Post by Zap! »

City Sending Message To Anyone Slowing Recycling Machine

By KATHRYN BROWN, CBS 2 HD News
NEW YORK (CBS) ―

It's something nearly everyone's been tempted to do at least once. You see someone else's throwaways on street and think -- that would look nice in my place.

But as CBS 2 HD found out taking it could end up costing you big-time.

"As far as I knew it was a piece of garbage sitting on the curb," Paul Lawrence said.

But what Lawrence didn't know when he decided to pick up a discarded air conditioner sitting on the sidewalk in Middle Village, Queens is that once trash hits the curb, it's technically city property.

And he was breaking the law.

"There was a lady here. I asked the lady can I take the air conditioner. She said go ahead take it. It's garbage," Lawrence said.

But not only was he fined $2,000 by a sanitation officer who watched him do it, the car he was driving was impounded.

And its owner -- Lawrence's Aunt, 73-year-old Margaret Colavita, was also slapped with a $2,000 fine.

"I said what is this and she said well we have to serve you with this. You're the owner of the car and it says I gave him permission," Colavita said.

Department of Sanitation officials said it's not always illegal to pick up something from the street. It's only when you're driving a vehicle that the law gets triggered.

Recycling is a revenue source for the city and sanitation officials said the law was "designed to deter organized rings of recycling thefts" that cost the city more than $300,000 a year.

Shortly after the law went into effect in 2007 CBS 2 HD rode along as officers enforced it.

"As the commodity price goes up, theft of that commodity goes up," Sanitation Commissioner John Doherty said.

Lawrence insisted he wasn't stealing, but agreed repeat criminals should be punished.

However, he said a $2,000 fine for a first-time offense is excessive.

CBS 2 HD took the issue to Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

"Two thousand dollars is a pretty hefty fine and I don't know what law was broken," Bloomberg said.

Lawrence said he now knows all too well and plans to fight his fine in court.

Last year the sanitation department issued 280 summonses for breaking the law and impounded 136 vehicles.

http://wcbstv.com/watercooler/recycling ... 00611.html
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

Darryl B.

Re: NYC Man Fined $2,000 For Taking Discarded Garbage

Post by Darryl B. »

$2000 IS too much. And you only get in trouble if you take someone's stuff (even with permission) when you're driving? Yeah, I'm confused too.
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

MaximumRD

Post by MaximumRD »

Sounds like the cities "real" source of revenue is giving out fines for stupid laws.
Oldshool gaming, some people will never "Get it"
Check out my Classic Gaming Videos: RATE ! COMMENT!
http://ca.youtube.com/user/MaximumRD

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

Here in NYC we're known for these stupid laws. I really can't understand it. I can understand if he was dumping illegally, then fine him good. But he's taking something which was heading toward the garbage dumps. Makes no sense at all.
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube