AT&T predicts the future in 1993

BS about anything you like in here, as long as it's not TOO controversial

Moderators: Rob, Carlos

Zap!
Zap! Commander

AT&T predicts the future in 1993

Post by Zap! »

[youtube][/youtube]
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

Facebook | Instagram | tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

triverse

Re: AT&T predicts the future in 1993

Post by triverse »

Wait a minute! 90% of those innovations involve a touchscreen of some sort! Where is that future? We are still using remotes, we are stuck in the 80's still with new age technology. Time to do something about how we interact with that technology.

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

triverse wrote:Wait a minute! 90% of those innovations involve a touchscreen of some sort! Where is that future? We are still using remotes, we are stuck in the 80's still with new age technology. Time to do something about how we interact with that technology.
I'm also convinced picture phones will never be mainstream. Sure, they've been out for years in some form or another, but will they be as mainstream as computers or TV? Never.

I also find it silly how with all this amazing technology, the woman is calling her house from a pay phone. No cell?
One burning question that will remain with him until his dying days....."Was my victory really worth the price I had to pay?"

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

Really simple question here, who is the voice on the commertial? Driving me nuts.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Rob

Post by Rob »

If I had to bet money, I'd say it was Magnum PI. :)

nathanallan1

Post by nathanallan1 »

I was thinking, how many of those things has happened and AT&T missed the boat totally??

Tablet PC with fax-- most every pc company (I have three older ones) and now Apple and Nokia (couple years back) plus only every PDA that's ever been out there and has a modem NONE of them AT&T,
voice activated doors-- nobody, maybe Brinks in some places, very specialty hardware,
eBooks, yeah, Franklin, and I think it was University of maryland (???) who is scanning in a bunch of classics,
Toll-Paying via wireless; nobdy that I'm aware of,
Video phone, nobody, webcams are much easier to deal with and cheaper(less bandwidth),
Directions via a device on the dash, Tom Tom being the main one, a few others, too,
Never have I bought anything from a cash machine, think that one totally failed,
Medical records in the pocket, yes, but it's very expensive to do it (do these people not know about FLASH DRIVES yet???),
GoToMyPC and Netmeeting beat AT&T to that one, too (attended a meeting),
Netflix totally beat them on the movie thing, Movies on Demand through that little box.

Yeah, I think AT&T totally fubared a lot of their own ideas by NOT making them happen. But watching that video was pretty cool, making me think that even 5 years ago a multi-gig flash drive and tablet were really cool stuff.

Nathan
http://www.gamegavel.com RULES!

Covering the world in Genesis goodness!

Zap!
Zap! Commander

Post by Zap! »

nathanallan1 wrote:Toll-Paying via wireless; nobdy that I'm aware of
Actually, the NY/NJ Tristate area had had this for at least 5 years. It's called E-ZPass. You put it in your inside car windows, and you don't even have to stop (you slow down slightly in some tolls). Once your E-Zpass hits the booth, it takes money out of your credit/debit card. Saves tons of time, and a few bucks too.

Darryl B.

Post by Darryl B. »

Yeah we've had those too for many years. My dad has had one of those in his car for a while now.
Founder, http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadepreservation_Wiki

Founder, http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/index.cgi

Rob

Post by Rob »

Yeah, we have NORpass here in North Carolina. There are so few tolls anywhere though that the only people you see using them are truck drivers.

TwinChargers

Post by TwinChargers »

Rob wrote:If I had to bet money, I'd say it was Magnum PI. :)
Thank you!!
These pretzels are making me thirsty!